House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

leicestersq

Happy Battle Of Waterloo Day

195 Years ago today, England had a great day on the field of battle. A small number of Englishmen, greatly outnumbered by the French, Prussian's, Scots, Hannovarians, Dutch, Ulstermen, met with the Army of Napoleon on that most famous of Battle Fields.

Led by an Irishman, they bravely held on against wave after wave of cheese eaters attempting to dislodge them from their defensive position. And just at the end of the day, when it looked like the Prussians were going to secure victory, the 52nd Light Infantry from England, wheeled around the column of the French Guard, let off a volley and won the battle.

Three cheers for England.

195 Years ago today, England had a great day on the field of battle. A small number of Englishmen, greatly outnumbered by the French, Prussian's, Scots, Hannovarians, Dutch, Ulstermen, met with the Army of Napoleon on that most famous of Battle Fields.

Led by an Irishman, they bravely held on against wave after wave of cheese eaters attempting to dislodge them from their defensive position. And just at the end of the day, when it looked like the Prussians were going to secure victory, the 52nd Light Infantry from England, wheeled around the column of the French Guard, let off a volley and won the battle.

hiphiphuzzar!

BTW, all the above nations including the prussians were on our side against the french. And we were led by the duke of wellington, who was very english indeed, not irish.

"You can put a dog in a stable, but it won't become a horse". Noseybonk didn't like being called Irish. (If the British had lost Waterloo, the only difference to history is that Belgium would have remained part of France. So Britain would not have had a reason to enter the Great War 100 years later, and stayed rich whilst it sold weapons to all sides. And, maybe, an undefeated Germany, no Hitler, no second war, and no loss of Empire. A happier outcome, IMHO).

f off

i'll cheer when people realise that governments/rulers are the biggest terrorists

edit and who financed the war on both sides

and maybe they wanted a distraction i mean they wouldnt have wanted to lose their heads like some others had recently

wernt the prussians on our side? They were the ones that turned up late and missed the fun. Boucher I believe was their commanding officers name.I haven't looked this up so could be wrong.

Call me picky but I am pretty sure this was the British Army fighting at Waterloo ? Not checked google so I am prepared to be corrected.

On a side note - Read a good book about Trafalgar. Sharpes Trafalgar by Bernard Cornwell. Tells an interesting story but also includes loads of accurate historical references. He prob has one about Waterloo as well.

Also noted in the book that there is one person who is known to have fought with the French at Trafalgar, and against them at Waterloo 10 years later. Spanish Seaman in 1805 and then became infantry in 1815. Only one person is known to have done this for these 2 wars. Interesting. Well so I thought anyway...

hiphiphuzzar!

BTW, all the above nations including the prussians were on our side against the french. And we were led by the duke of wellington, who was very english indeed, not irish.

Nope - he was Irish.

" Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington, KG, KP, GCB, GCH, PC, FRS (c. 29 April/1 May 1769 – 14 September 1852), was an Anglo-Irish[1] soldier and statesman..." Born in Ireland to a prominent Ascendancy family, he was commissioned an ensign in the British Army in 1787.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Wellesley,_1st_Duke_of_Wellington

Certainly a great day worthy of commemoration.

Above my house there is a stand of trees said to have been planted in memory of Waterloo and the menof the 23rd Regiment of Foot, the Welsh Fusiliers, who died that day.

But it was an ENGLISH victory, for although the number of English heroes were a small part of the Allied force it was ENGLISH money which supported the Allied effort. Indeed the whole of the wars against Napoleon depended on ENGLISH fdinance.

It was a time when ENGLAND was prepared to spend and borrow so that its people would not uffer disadvantage and tyranny.

Oh bollix to all this.

Just a bunch of toothless half-starved peasants hacking and gouging at each other.

Let's not fall for this gormless nationalist stuff.

Blimey shows you how weak and feeble the English were to have to rely on a European Union with so many other armies. Also, I have to pull you up on your mention of Ulstermen rather than Irishmen? Durrrrrrr. There were Irishmen on both sides. And yes, Wellington was an Irishman, though he did claim that being born in a stable didn't make him a horse, or something. Actuually, he had very deep roots in Ireland, though I guess he tried to obscure them - probably more of a hindrance than a help in the face of English bigotry.

f off

i'll cheer when people realise that governments/rulers are the biggest terrorists

and maybe they wanted a distraction i mean they wouldnt have wanted to lose their heads like some others had recently

Too many helpful idiots around...

Certainly a great day worthy of commemoration.

Above my house there is a stand of trees said to have been planted in memory of Waterloo and the menof the 23rd Regiment of Foot, the Welsh Fusiliers, who died that day.

But it was an ENGLISH victory, for although the number of English heroes were a small part of the Allied force it was ENGLISH money which supported the Allied effort. Indeed the whole of the wars against Napoleon depended on ENGLISH fdinance.

It was a time when ENGLAND was prepared to spend and borrow so that its people would not uffer disadvantage and tyranny.

...it was British ....when educated Scotsmen ran the Empire..... :rolleyes:

Thank you England, from the bottom of my heart ar5e :)

Edit: to avoid confusion

the war was funded on the english side by bond issuance, and by rothschild et al, and on the french side by nothing very much more than patriotism and thin air.

...who cares ..?....as long as it is sarcasm..... :rolleyes:

Oh yes, sarcasm allllll the way....... that bit wasn't sarcastic by the way.

Edit: Modded it for you

Why do you keep saying that it was english?

It wasn't.

It was British.

A huge part of the British Army was Irish.

Why do you keep saying that it was english?

It wasn't.

It was British.

A huge part of the British Army was Irish.

I do believe the initiator of this thread was trying to irk some reaction from our celtic brothers and has succeeded.

Should LeicesterSquare change his handle to TrafalgarSquare in honour of the occasion.

Even better, he could call himself WaterlooStation. :rolleyes:

Should LeicesterSquare change his handle to TrafalgarSquare in honour of the occasion.

Even better, he could call himself WaterlooStation. :rolleyes:

I think he could do with a large helping of beef Wellington