House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flatnose

Winetr Fuel Allowance

We rent in a village in the South Lakes. One retired couple we know runs three cars including a 4X4 and goes on at least 8 caravanning holidays a year. They own their home outright and live a very affluent lifestyle. However they still get their winter fuel allowance. Hence this poll: I am interested in peoples views on the latter.

Neither. It should be scrapped once the state pension has begun increasing with wages again.

Unfortunately, it was a ridiculous bribe that will now be impossible to reverse.

As someone who is old enough (60+) to receive this I have voted for means testing. It is ridiculous that I should get this along with free bus travel in England.

Maybe I shouldn't get free prescriptions and eye tests too.

Benefits should be directed towards the needy. The whole benefits system has got out of control. No wonder this country is going broke.

No to means testing.

Yes to scrapping; but only after:-

1) All benefits to those who were drawing benefit when they became pregnant are stopped & previous payments to be paid back.

2) No benefits to those who have never worked.

3) No benefits to those in the UK for less than five years.

4) 5) 6) in a similar vein.

7) (No scrapping until after) my demise

Guest Noodle

I know dirty old OAP's in Pattaya that spend their winter fuel allowance on air conditioning.

I know dirty old OAP's in Pattaya that spend their winter fuel allowance on air conditioning.

:lol:

FWIW I hate means testing - it's wasteful and degrading. A reasonable citizen's wage would sort all this nonsense out once and for all...

Air conditioning is just heating in reverse. Can't see the problem with it.

Guest Noodle

Air conditioning is just heating in reverse. Can't see the problem with it.

Oh, the rest of it goes on Chang Beer and BJ's.

Guest Noodle

What a waste :( (I'm talking about the part that goes towards the air con...)

Well it does question whether the winter fuel allowance was in fact just that, or a pension top up.

Oh yes let's means test it - then we can have an army of people to see if someone should have it.

We have them already. They're called the IR

For all UK based pensioners it should be as simple.

Guest Noodle

Am I the only one wondering about the price of beer in Noodle-land?

Noodle doesn't live in that part of Noodleland. Noodle lives very, very far away from there.

Local beer prices here, 660cl bottles:

Archer, 30 Baht

Chang, 38 Baht

Leo, 45 Baht

All are disgusting.

I think I'm pretty much of the opinion that nothing should be means-tested, because

(1) I don't want to waste money paying people to do means test calcuations

(2) It creates "poverty trap" situations where people are better off not to work

and

(3) where does it stop? if you're not careful you end up in a situation where visits to the doctor are means-tested, rubbish collection is means-tested, state school places are means-tested etc and those who actually pay tax get literally nothing in return.

Noodle doesn't live in that part of Noodleland. Noodle lives very, very far away from there.

Local beer prices here, 660cl bottles:

Archer, 30 Baht

Chang, 38 Baht

Leo, 45 Baht

All are disgusting.

As opposed to the warm beer and cold women we have here ?

Guest Noodle

As opposed to the warm beer and cold women we have here ?

All are disgusting.

Instead of beer I like a cup of tea. Instead of women I like quite like a chicken cashew fried basmati rice with spring onions.

Please don't stop it.

I am an OAP and I really need this extra money.

To pay for my windsurfing. (True!)

I would imagine that, at the extreme, means testing can be a real kick in the teeth for people who work for money and are careful to keep a rainy day fund (who, in the case of OAPs, may have worked hard and saved all their lives) only for someone who is either a work-shy layabout or who has spent a lifetime pissing their money away (or both) to get hand-outs and other free stuff.

We have them already. They're called the IR

For all UK based pensioners it should be as simple.

So you are suggesting that the IR are sitting around with nowt to do and can easily accomodate means testing WFA without the need to hire more people?

Only give it to those eligible for Pension Credit.

It only goes to those that can be bothered to apply, and the staff are already there doing means testing calculations.

I would imagine that, at the extreme, means testing can be a real kick in the teeth for people who work for money and are careful to keep a rainy day fund (who, in the case of OAPs, may have worked hard and saved all their lives) only for someone who is either a work-shy layabout or who has spent a lifetime pissing their money away (or both) to get hand-outs and other free stuff.

Absolutely.

I am against any form of means testing.