House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pent Up

First-Time Buyers Fall To Lowest Level Since 2007.

First-time buyers fall to lowest level since 2007

Mortgage lending for house purchases fell by 9% in April, with the number of loans for first-time buyers falling by 17%, CML figures show

Tweet this

Jill "jilly" Insley

guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 15 June 2010 11.09 BST

First-time buyers in April made up the lowest proportion of total house purchasers since September 2007, according to figures released by the Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML).

The CML said this morning that the 40,000 loans for house purchase in April was 9% down on March, while the number of loans for first-time buyers fell 17% to 14,300 following strong lending figures in March.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/jun/15/first-time-buyers-lowest-level-2007

Can't be much longer to go now boys and girls....

Was reading the local propetry paper over breakfast this morning. A local EA was on the front page ramping for all his worth, saying the market was 'strong' but he expects a couple of quiet weeks while people take stock of the budget on the 22nd :lol:

Don't worry, the cash rich and "savvy" foreign investors will keep the market going forever.

Dont forget all the immigrants who will eventually be getting on board too, as soon as the 150% LTV mortgages hit the markets !!!

Have all the greatest of the greater fools finally purchased a "bargain" ?

"The Achilles heal in all property bubbles is that there comes a point when the bottom feeders are priced out leading to those at the top to die of starvation."

I agree.

"The Achilles heal in all property bubbles is that there comes a point when the bottom feeders are priced out leading to those at the top to die of starvation."

I agree.

That's still one hell of a mixed metaphor as well as biologically inaccurate. Wouldn't it be the other way around? In the ocean, don't bottom feeders depend on those at the top?

BTW can we be sure that the PTB will stop the worst case scenario (from our POV) - 1 owner to every 20 renters? God knows how that plays out over time.... This country really is in a hell of a mess.

Its OK we dont need FTBs, BTLs will rescue the market, thats why CGT rates are so important (apparently)

Can't a couple of FTBs team up, buy, and then rent the houses off each other? ;)

I agree.

So do I, however, the bottom of the UK housing ladder isn't dependent on FTBers and hasn't been for a few years. There are plenty of people who are still keen on investing in property.

So do I, however, the bottom of the UK housing ladder isn't dependent on FTBers and hasn't been for a few years. There are plenty of people who are still keen on investing in property.

Yep there are always mugs who will be 'investing' throughout a falling market. But do you really think there are enough 'investors' to prop up the entire uk housing market? If you believe that your as big a mug as them.

Its OK we dont need FTBs, BTLs will rescue the market, thats why CGT rates are so important (apparently)

That does seem to be the plan (unfortunately).

That's still one hell of a mixed metaphor as well as biologically inaccurate. Wouldn't it be the other way around? In the ocean, don't bottom feeders depend on those at the top?

BTW can we be sure that the PTB will stop the worst case scenario (from our POV) - 1 owner to every 20 renters? God knows how that plays out over time.... This country really is in a hell of a mess.

Agreed. We can talk in cliches till the cows come home.

Plenty of people willing to invest...... as long as housing benefit sets the level of rent return in the UK.

If Housing Benefit drops (or becomes less available than at present) then so will rent values.

Two bedroom terraces, priced at £80,000 (Wales, North East, Midlands, Scotland) can return a healthy

7% on current rents, which are based on, and held up by, Housing Benefit which increased substantially

in April this year.

Agreed. We can talk in cliches till the cows come home.

Indeed, and you can take a cow to water, but you can't make it blink.

Thinking about it, bottom feeders depend on those at the top dying and sinking down*. At which point, the bottom-feeders consume their rotting flesh. Works for me... ;)

Thinking about it, bottom feeders depend on those at the top dying and sinking down*. At which point, the bottom-feeders consume their rotting flesh. Works for me... ;)

Glad that the consumption of rotting flesh works for you, TS.

These forthcoming budget cuts will mean nothing to you, I can see.

All I need is the sky above me...

a tin hat...

and a dead rat, once a day....

mmmm.... bliss.