House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

Are You Writing To The Local Paper?

Both letters I've written recently have been published.

Write to the local free paper by Tuesday for a chance of getting in that weeks edition. For a daily paper - write anytime. Most accept letters by email so it doesn't even cost you a stamp. They do want a name and address even if you don't publish your real name with it!

Do it this weekend. Let's have a mad burst of anti house price inflation propaganda from our own pens.

Or anti anti-CGT!

Or slate your local council for not dealing with the council waiting lists whilst having massive numbers of empty homes.

GO ON!

Write to the local free paper by Tuesday for a chance of getting in that weeks edition. For a daily paper - write anytime. Most accept letters by email so it doesn't even cost you a stamp. They do want a name and address even if you don't publish your real name with it!

Do it this weekend. Let's have a mad burst of anti house price inflation propaganda from our own pens.

Or anti anti-CGT!

Or slate your local council for not dealing with the council waiting lists whilst having massive numbers of empty homes.

GO ON!

Good idea. I'll have a go.

Good idea. I'll have a go.

Dont waste your time. Were broke, and we will be more broke than ever unless cuts in the welffare state and pensions are made big time. I see cutbacks are already being made that are more than the cgt receipts last year. Cgt is diddly squat compared to our overspending.

Dont waste your time. Were broke, and we will be more broke than ever unless cuts in the welffare state and pensions are made big time. I see cutbacks are already being made that are more than the cgt receipts last year. Cgt is diddly squat compared to our overspending.

Well write that then!

But diddly squat is better than nothing. And if it makes Alan Sugar unhappy then let it be.

:)

Edited by SarahBell

The Editor,

The West Uddingshire Gazette.

Dear Sir,

I am writing to complain about the amount of diddly squat in this country.

I didn't fight in a war to find diddly squat all over my front drive in the morning.

The local Council is responsible for this diddly squat and I don't pay my Council

Tax to see it lying there, day after day.

It's about time that Mr Blair did something about it, instead of dieing his hair black

and wearing a blue tie.

Yours etc

Colonel Aubrey Beltching-Fosbury

Or anti anti-CGT!

GO ON!

Tried it many times over the last 2 years.

I've found there is no chance of getting letters printed that even vaguely refer to high house prices, the bubble, or anything remotely related.

Apart from a few classifieds and some car ads, the main advertising revenue of Sir Toad of Toad Hall's Herald Group is from the EA's. There's no way they are going to risk pi$sing them off, as I've discovered through wasting quite a lot of time on them :(

Sad but true. Best of luck if you have better local rags where you all are.

B

About 4 years ago I did my own spurt of letter writing to national newspapers about the property market and had letters published in The Times, Evening Standard and The Sun (they sent me a £15 cheque for having a letter published in their paper - yep, very embarrasing!). The Evening Standard were very keen to have confirmation from me that the letter I had sent them had not been sent to (or published) in any other newspaper.

And many, many years ago I had a letter published in The Dandy (but not about house prices!).

Edited by Alfie Moon

...Apart from a few classifieds and some car ads, the main advertising revenue of Sir Toad of Toad Hall's Herald Group is from the EA's. There's no way they are going to risk pi$sing them off, as I've discovered through wasting quite a lot of time on them...

This.

In most of the local papers that I ever happen to chance on EAs are actually writing 'articles' (which are, of course, nowhere labelled as advertising features or accompanied by warnings about your home being at risk if payments are not etc).

It's easy to add readers comments to local newspaper websites. I have done this for a while and it tends to get lots of support from other readers (i.e. support for the HPC perspective) and some debate going with openly or very obviously Estate Agents, BTL'ers, etc. I think this is a very effective way to add the HPC perspective to the property market discourse environment which is dominated by VI discourses of - house prices are rising; rising house prices are good; house prices never really fall; BTL is really like a charity activity that BTL'ers ought to be admired, respected and rewarded for; etc., etc. It is a good way to give people more locally some alternative, and indeed more accurate, material, evidence and argument about the property market and house prices.