House Price Crash Forum

Cgt - Daily Mail & Alan Sugar

HOLA441

The latest offering from the DM is Sir Alan Sugar moaning that a rise in CGT will ruin UK business .....

See:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1287421/Raising-capital-gains-tax-devastating-impact-entrepreneurs-warns-Sir-Alan-Sugar.html

Already there is the usual reader comment whining 'but it's me pension, whoa is me, all my hard work is going to be taxed away by the rise in CGT ...'

If people have time it would be good to see HPC comments added to the mix of Readers Comments.

Edited by Alfie Moon

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I and a couple of others added comments on there but they have not been passed!

Nice bit of censorship by the Mail there.

Yep. I'm keeping my eye on it to see if they change it to 'The comments below have NOT been moderated' which they sometims do by mid-morning.

Meanwhile we can 'red arrow' TC, Usk UK, 17/6/2010 18:29.

Edited by Alfie Moon

HOLA445
HOLA446

Perhaps Sugar can reprise his earlier successes (cheap stereos, Amstrad CPC 464) to reinvigorate our manufacturing base?

Only joking!

I have never understood why Sugar is thought of as such a great entrepreneur...more like Del boy...dodgy PC;s and property deals hardly contributing to national wealth

HOLA447

I have never understood why Sugar is thought of as such a great entrepreneur...more like Del boy...dodgy PC;s and property deals hardly contributing to national wealth

Entrepreneurs tend to exploit easy, consumerist markets. Sugar is a case in point, as are the 'Dragons' Den' millionaires et al.

The country needs entrepreneurs that are willing to risk investments in productive long term growth industries. Sadly, no such persons are on the horizon.

HOLA448
Guest BetterOffOnBenefits

Alan Sugar got lucky with his business in the 1980s

So that naturally makes him an expert on the Economy

If he's so 'good at' business, what the hell is he doing climbing in bed to with Labour? They are innumerate

Edited by BetterOffOnBenefits

HOLA449

Having divorced, I mortgaged a modest mid terraced property (that was all I could afford), and a sizeable chunk of my pension fund was taken to boost my ex-wifes pension. Several years later, I re-married and moved into my new wifes house.

I kept mine going with a plan to use any profits to make up the defecit in my pension fund.

Looks like my plan could be scuppered, or at least have a large dent in it if CGT is raised to 40%.

Try to do the right thing, plan for my future, using my money without relying on state handouts and what happens?

Government raise the level of tax, so my future is jeapordised in order to bail out those who can't be bothered to plan for their own futures,. (I accept that there are other angles that could be included, i.e. to susutain the NHS, get the country out of its financial mess etc but it annoys me to see so many who rely solely on benefits and don't care about the future. Those affected by the increase in CGT are just cash cows to them)

- TC, Usk UK, 17/6/2010 18:29

Again, he would only be adversely affected if he was a 40/50% taxpayer ie well off or just plain rich.

Even then, i always thought you could now put BTLs/second homes into SIPPs

The only people these proposals might make slightly less well off are the rich.