House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rain'ard

So Labour Scaremongers Have To Apologise

Gordon Brown was called to appologise for scare mongering about the loss of bus passes and cold weather payments being withdrawn. Well lucky they didn't mention swimming then. Whatever you veiws on the economy of this, it does make you wonder what and in who interest the cut backs are going to effect.

late link

Gordon Brown was called to appologise for scare mongering about the loss of bus passes and cold weather payments being withdrawn. Well lucky they didn't mention swimming then. Whatever you veiws on the economy of this, it does make you wonder what and in who interest the cut backs are going to effect.

late link

So you think that when the ConDems introduce their £70billion cuts, bus passes won't be affected? :lol:

No matter how important you think something is, if you can't afford it you can't have it.

So you agree we should abolish the armed forces?

Guest Mrs Bradley

I personally think it would be a very good thing if the under 16s lost their free bus pass. The amount of times I've seen them get on for one or two stops is unreal - it's just teaching them to be lazy. Instead they should have the appropriate oyster credit to get to school and back based on the tfl recommended travel route. It would save a lot of money, hassle to other bus users and improve the health of the country's teenagers - half of which have trouble fitting on one bus seat.

Hear Hear! I walked home from school a good few times, even tho I lived 2.5 miles away and carried a large satchel. As for paid busfares!!ohmy.gif Despite being in a low income family, there were none of those refinements for the likes of me, and we did not espect them either. Sadly today's youth seem to be given expectations that everything must be laid on tap for them, busfares, flats when they get impregnated etc.

Not getting free buspasses did not quench our vigour for life or zest for work... or earning ability! Quite the opposite, I reckon.

Too much namby-pamby-ism, brought in, I suspect, by those factions that would like to undermine the country overall... otherwise known as the far left. We need to lay down foundations for responsibility and independence in the young, not unearned privilege and sloth.

If the young don't get off their butts and walk/exercise, how will they build up stamina to do a day's work in the workplace?

Guest anorthosite

So you agree we should abolish the armed forces?

A fair whack of them could probably be cut.

Guest happy?

Hear Hear! I walked home from school a good few times, even tho I lived 2.5 miles away and carried a large satchel. As for paid busfares!!ohmy.gif Despite being in a low income family, there were none of those refinements for the likes of me, and we did not espect them either. Sadly today's youth seem to be given expectations that everything must be laid on tap for them, busfares, flats when they get impregnated etc.

Not getting free buspasses did not quench our vigour for life or zest for work... or earning ability! Quite the opposite, I reckon.

Too much namby-pamby-ism, brought in, I suspect, by those factions that would like to undermine the country overall... otherwise known as the far left. We need to lay down foundations for responsibility and independence in the young, not unearned privilege and sloth.

If the young don't get off their butts and walk/exercise, how will they build up stamina to do a day's work in the workplace?

Am I the only that suspects this poster to be a bot-engine? The cliche / hackneyed phrase qouta is just to high to be credible.

Guest Mrs Bradley

Am I the only that suspects this poster to be a bot-engine? The cliche / hackneyed phrase qouta is just to high to be credible.

Probably. cool.gif I have you dotted as one of the less savvy posters, seeming to exist only to knock others. A pretty outworn ploy to get attention, as you aren't likely to get it by your scintillating insights.

late link

It was never 'free swimming'.

For the over-60's It was 'free bobbing up and down at the shallow-end whilst chatting to your friend'.

For the under 16's it was 'free wafer-based dating/groping/heavy petting session' follwed by 'clogging up the showers and changing rooms, polishing a spotty poo, whilst swearing loudly in front of all the infant school children who are having 'paid for' lessons'

Both groups when questioned by a health professional about their lifestyle were then able to say ' I go swimming X times a week', when they were actually getting sod all benefit from it.

I cheered when I heard about it being axed, and I bet the staff at the local pool did too.

Guest Mrs Bradley

It was never 'free swimming'.

For the over-60's It was 'free bobbing up and down at the shallow-end whilst chatting to your friend'.

For the under 16's it was 'free wafer-based dating/groping/heavy petting session' follwed by 'clogging up the showers and changing rooms, polishing a spotty poo, whilst swearing loudly in front of all the infant school children who are having 'paid for' lessons'

Both groups when questioned by a health professional about their lifestyle were then able to say ' I go swimming X times a week', when they were actually getting sod all benefit from it.

I cheered when I heard about it being axed, and I bet the staff at the local pool did too.

I reckon there are a number of freebies which could be axed without any sort of hardship, nay even notice. One of the hypocrisies of the loony left contingent is to give folk stuff they don't really need, whilst rooking them with stealth taxes and running up a credit bill of gargantuan proportions, due to total inability/lack of incentive to balance the books.

+1

In my Scottish home town, walking 2.5 miles to school through the frost resulted in hair interestingly frosted at the leading edges. Rain resulted in a whole morning steaming over the school's ancient radiators.

There is no incentive to undertake daily walks to school when preparing for a life as a couch potato. Bring back the protestant work ethic, I say!:ph34r:

I personally think it would be a very good thing if the under 16s lost their free bus pass. The amount of times I've seen them get on for one or two stops is unreal - it's just teaching them to be lazy. Instead they should have the appropriate oyster credit to get to school and back based on the tfl recommended travel route. It would save a lot of money, hassle to other bus users and improve the health of the country's teenagers - half of which have trouble fitting on one bus seat.

What free bus passes for under 16's? I don't think we have that here apart from the school bus, school is approx 7 miles away and it's free to us because we're in the catchment.. If my 13 year old wants to go anywhere else he pays bus fare.

As for the swimming, the free swims in my part of Wales are only available throughout school holidays between 9.30 and 4. I can't see it having much impact if it was taken away.

The thing I'd like to see an end to is free school dinners for some and not for others. This one really grips my sh1t. Either everyone pays or nobody pays. If it's the everyone pays then make up your own mind if you can afford it and if not send 'em in with sarnies.

Yes

I never understood why on earth kids got free bus passes to use all the time, not only when they went to and from school.

One reason is that the easier you make it for kids to use public transport, the less likely they are to get mummy or daddy to drive them, and so less congestion.

One reason is that the easier you make it for kids to use public transport, the less likely they are to get mummy or daddy to drive them, and so less congestion.

On observing the local morning 'school run' congestion, quite a bit of it appears to be retired folk driving to the nearby supermarket 'before it gets busy' :rolleyes:

That supermarket is also next to the main bus route into town, and they don't police the 'maximum two hours'. Thursday is 'flea market' day in town, you struggle to get a parking space at the supermarket, but the shop itself is fairly quiet. The bus-pass holders are using it as a free park and ride scheme :angry:

On observing the local morning 'school run' congestion, quite a bit of it appears to be retired folk driving to the nearby supermarket 'before it gets busy' :rolleyes:

That supermarket is also next to the main bus route into town, and they don't police the 'maximum two hours'. Thursday is 'flea market' day in town, you struggle to get a parking space at the supermarket, but the shop itself is fairly quiet. The bus-pass holders are using it as a free park and ride scheme :angry:

Look, anyone who drives to work in an urban area knows that the roads are quieter in the school holidays! :rolleyes:

Anyway, this thread was originally about Labour "scaremongering" about Tory cuts, and the "scares" are now coming true. Time for Camoron to apologise to Broon.

Look, anyone who drives to work in an urban area knows that the roads are quieter in the school holidays! :rolleyes:

How much of that is because parents have taken time off work during the holidays?

I used to start work at 8am, and therefore wasn't commuting at school run time. It was noticeably quieter on the roads, in the office, and more spaces available in the staff car park.

Anyway, this thread was originally about Labour "scaremongering" about Tory cuts, and the "scares" are now coming true. Time for Camoron to apologise to Broon.

Why?

Broon lied, lied and lied again

The country is broke so the squandering has to end

I know that one local authorities Social Services department was given Government money to refurb its Family Centres (places where kids in care and those on the at risk register can meet with their families in safety, and also where they do parenting assessments), the refurbs were obscene!

The family centres originally were like Nursery's but the refurb was no expense spared and turned them into something that wouldn't look out of place in a Habitat/Ikea showroom, forgetting that the average clientele were the worst type of Chav.

Why expensive leather settees, colour co ordinated fittings, curtains, vases, trendy art prints, you name it, the manager in charge went on one and thought she was a Interior Designer.

Shocking waste of money that the Government didn't have....

How much of that is because parents have taken time off work during the holidays?

I used to start work at 8am, and therefore wasn't commuting at school run time. It was noticeably quieter on the roads, in the office, and more spaces available in the staff car park.

18% of traffic in morning rush hour is children being ferried to school, despite the average journey being around 1.4 miles

Why?

I know that one local authorities Social Services department was given Government money to refurb its Family Centres (places where kids in care and those on the at risk register can meet with their families in safety, and also where they do parenting assessments), the refurbs were obscene!

The family centres originally were like Nursery's but the refurb was no expense spared and turned them into something that wouldn't look out of place in a Habitat/Ikea showroom, forgetting that the average clientele were the worst type of Chav.

Why expensive leather settees, colour co ordinated fittings, curtains, vases, trendy art prints, you name it, the manager in charge went on one and thought she was a Interior Designer.

People kept in pig pens will tend to turn into ..... pigs.

Raise your aspirations for other people. Especially those in crisis.

We are still a rich country.

Why?

And Camoron lied in saying this was all about scaremongering.

You are obviously a person of loose morals because you think it's OK for people you support to lie.

I can't take you seriously now.

Can you seriously, hand on heart, say that it's up to the state to raise peoples aspirations?

and if so, do you think New Labour have acheived this in 13 years of power?

Guest Mrs Bradley

It has been my experience that people can turn palaces into pig pens. It is all in the upbringing and values, Nowt to do with how much cash you have. Given that too many have been reared by people barely out of childhood, who had minimal parenting themselves, the prospects are bleak.

Guest happy?

I reckon there are a number of freebies which could be axed without any sort of hardship, nay even notice. One of the hypocrisies of the loony left contingent is to give folk stuff they don't really need, whilst rooking them with stealth taxes and running up a credit bill of gargantuan proportions, due to total inability/lack of incentive to balance the books.

I stand corrected, you're not a bot-engine you write Daily Mail editorials for a living. Still hackneyed, still cliched.