House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the coming storm

Why Is The Workplace So Bitchy/competitive These Days?

Is it just me or is the workplace getting incredibly bitter and bitchy - I often see colleagues who spend their whole lives opposing other colleagues - Its like there whole existence revolves around one upmanship at work. I suppose there are less decent jobs which means everyone is getting ultra competitive at work

It seems everyone is a backstabber at some level - you have to be incredibly careful what you say even to so called "friends" at work. Plus there is colleagues who stew away for free in the evening - again about one upmanship. Plus then they have meetings, where one person will try to dominate to look more important or show more knowledge in any particular in one area. Managers undermining subordinates, avoiding decisions, pushing work down below them. Everyone seems to be turning into big brother/apprentice wannabees where its all pleasant enough to your face, but behind the curtains every move you make is monitored. Now normally if someone is offensive to you, you can insult them back or threaten but say boo to the wrong person at work and your days are numbered. - Office jobs are just terrible and getting worse, I often feel sorry for salaried middle managers, there stuck with no quick escape, there is no honest communication - watching gordon ramsay i think thats the way work should be.

There is no "management" these days - in office environments its every man and woman for themselves.

If you have specific skill it might be better, but if your a middle manager/admin type - this is the mental torture you face on daily basis.

And often at the end of the day, its all for pretty average salaries, or even crap salaries. Senior Managers must sit back laugh at the politics - and they don't care at all. Office jobs want too much work for too little money.

people know they arent worth as much as they are paid and they are scared. They aren't producing value and are looking for ways to appear to have value. It also might be your older and you notice and understand the politics more. If you don't like it move to a smaller company, or go self employed the only problem/or good thing is your worth is measured more accurately. Managers are also papping themselves, most managers aren't on mega money.

people know they arent worth as much as they are paid and they are scared.  They aren't producing value and are looking for ways to appear to have value.  It also might be your older and you notice and understand the politics more.  If you don't like it move to a smaller company, or go self employed the only problem/or good thing is your worth is measured more accurately. Managers are also papping themselves, most managers aren't on mega money.

Not that old, in way have always seen office jobs like this. I suppose deep down I look at colleagues as the sort of people who are not capable of setting up a business, and don't have any tangible skills - so they become generalists, and all the politics that go with it. Perhaps that lack of respect is the reason I get myself into trouble at work.

Not that old, in way have always seen office jobs like this. I suppose deep down I look at colleagues as the sort of people who are not capable of setting up a business, and don't have any tangible skills - so they become generalists, and all the politics that go with it. Perhaps that lack of respect is the reason I get myself into trouble at work.

So quit and start your own business.

So quit and start your own business.

I think I need to - always fancied starting a business - But listening to family who say, oh no but its a "good" job you have your lucky this job - they have no idea of the reality. Why are people like that, they never want to accept sometimes its total chaos in the corporate world.

people know they arent worth as much as they are paid and they are scared. They aren't producing value and are looking for ways to appear to have value. Managers are also papping themselves, most managers aren't on mega money.

I abhor middle management and the "value" they add.... but I also feel sorry for them. More often than not they are told to manage, but not given the power to do so. They end up becoming the scapegoats for the senior managers. It's no wonder they're nervous, and no wonder they're constantly on the defensive.

I think I need to - always fancied starting a business - But listening to family who say, oh no but its a "good" job you have your lucky this job - they have no idea of the reality. Why are people like that, they never want to accept sometimes its total chaos in the corporate world.

Stay with the politics and get good at it you haven't the guts to do your own thing.

Stay with the politics and get good at it you haven't the guts to do your own thing.

Mistake I made all those years ago was thinking being good at your job was good enough...... WRONG. Concentrate on the A-licking(if you can stomach it)unfortunately it works!

More often than not they are told to manage, but not given the power to do so. They end up becoming the scapegoats for the senior managers.

To add to middle management woes, often they are only there because it was the only "progression" path. Good management is a very important and relatively rare skill, however so are the skills needed to be good at the front line. It's a shame that in many companies there is no way of increasing your salary while staying close to what made you a candidate for promotion in the first place.

What's guts got to do with it? Some peoples' talents simply don't lie that way. Just try to find a better job if you don't want to start your own. I've never seen much sign of what's been described where I work.

Mistake I made all those years ago was thinking being good at your job was good enough...... WRONG. Concentrate on the A-licking(if you can stomach it)unfortunately it works!

A depressingly prescient observation.

Its not what you know, but who you know et al.

Geing good at your job can be enough, but...

Being good at your job means applying your talents to the things the business asks you to do, not just the things that in your opinion ought to be done.

Being good at you job means doing all of your tasks well and also identifying extras that make the result even better for the business that employs you.

Being good at you job mean being recognised by your colleagues as good (and better than them)

If after all that you find A-licking is still required go work for another company. But be careful about giving that as your reason for moving. Recruiters know that some will prefer to say it was because they refused to lick A rather than say they were not good enough at their job. (NB Not directing that at you gus, just a general observation.)

Is it just me or is the workplace getting incredibly bitter and bitchy - I often see colleagues who spend their whole lives opposing other colleagues - Its like there whole existence revolves around one upmanship at work. I suppose there are less decent jobs which means everyone is getting ultra competitive at work

It seems everyone is a backstabber at some level - you have to be incredibly careful what you say even to so called "friends" at work. Plus there is colleagues who stew away for free in the evening - again about one upmanship. Plus then they have meetings, where one person will try to dominate to look more important or show more knowledge in any particular in one area. Managers undermining subordinates, avoiding decisions, pushing work down below them. Everyone seems to be turning into big brother/apprentice wannabees where its all pleasant enough to your face, but behind the curtains every move you make is monitored. Now normally if someone is offensive to you, you can insult them back or threaten but say boo to the wrong person at work and your days are numbered. - Office jobs are just terrible and getting worse, I often feel sorry for salaried middle managers, there stuck with no quick escape, there is no honest communication - watching gordon ramsay i think thats the way work should be.

There is no "management" these days - in office environments its every man and woman for themselves.

If you have specific skill it might be better, but if your a middle manager/admin type - this is the mental torture you face on daily basis.

And often at the end of the day, its all for pretty average salaries, or even crap salaries. Senior Managers must sit back laugh at the politics - and they don't care at all. Office jobs want too much work for too little money.

well, you have to be daft enough to bother working to be affected by this. anyone who runs around for 40-50 hours a week to at best rent a 2 bed grot hole and a credit card balance has not really thought life through.

Geing good at your job can be enough, but...

Being good at your job means applying your talents to the things the business asks you to do, not just the things that in your opinion ought to be done.

Being good at you job means doing all of your tasks well and also identifying extras that make the result even better for the business that employs you.

Being good at you job mean being recognised by your colleagues as good (and better than them)

If after all that you find A-licking is still required go work for another company. But be careful about giving that as your reason for moving. Recruiters know that some will prefer to say it was because they refused to lick A rather than say they were not good enough at their job. (NB Not directing that at you gus, just a general observation.)

Well you can get fully qualified and become technically proficient (1)and this should, of course, be the base line. Some people think this is enough. It's not, because by the time you're 50 , they replace you with a younger model who's also proficient.... and cheaper. Not a happy place to find yourself!

You can be technically good at your job (2)and then add value and protect yourself by actually attracting work or developing a following. A good position but "coal-face" technicians and successful marketers are , in my opinion, a rare breed.

Now call me an old cynic (right on both counts)but a good A/L can trump both of the above.... and I can cite many examples, sometimes they are not even base line. i.e. still not fully qualified.

people know they arent worth as much as they are paid and they are scared.  They aren't producing value and are looking for ways to appear to have value.  It also might be your older and you notice and understand the politics more.  If you don't like it move to a smaller company, or go self employed the only problem/or good thing is your worth is measured more accurately. Managers are also papping themselves, most managers aren't on mega money.

The IT firm I used to work had one particular SDM (Service Delivery Manager) who didn't have a clue about any IT jargon, or any of that malarky (he was an ex teacher)..but I suspect that he was on at least £60k a year...As he didn't have any knowledge, he would always palm off his work on to the minnions at the bottom. At the same same, ppl were like me (those at the bottom) were being cut left, right & centre, and he got a lot of the credit for certain projects that were coming in on budget & on time..He'll retire before this sort of person is found out...