House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Why Is Washing Powder So Expensive?

Washing powder seems to be going up and up... is it just greed or the cost or raw materials... or a cartel...

Razor blades, washing powder - what about tampons? X-QUORK?

Guest Noodle

Washing powder seems to be going up and up... is it just greed or the cost or raw materials... or a cartel...

Buy in bulk.

Prices here have stayed the same for the past 3 years! 289 Baht buys a 9kgs sack of washing powder. 450 Baht buys a 20 litre drum of best quality fabric conditioner. (£1 = 47 Baht)

It's why I have a pick-up truck.

Guest Noodle

your buying the wrong washing powder, get down aldi its all the same but not as cheap as thailand...

Get another 5% off with Makro card.

Apply this level of economy to all things domestic household, tis' rather cheap still.

Guest sillybear2

I guess it's costly to move around, detergents must move with the oil price. Powder also contain phosphors.

Guest Noodle

I guess it's costly to move around, detergents must move with the oil price. Powder also contain phosphors.

Been the same price here for years. Could it be the Pound?

Guest sillybear2

Been the same price here for years. Could it be the Pound?

Yeah, good point, meat has inflated for that reason.

Only buy it when it's on sale.

Simples.

Guest happy?

Buy in bulk.

Prices here have stayed the same for the past 3 years! 289 Baht buys a 9kgs sack of washing powder. 450 Baht buys a 20 litre drum of best quality fabric conditioner. (£1 = 47 Baht)

Interesting that you can buy it in such quantities - rarely possible here from most retailers. I did look at buying the sacks of rice you see in the chinese merchants here but per kg it was still more expensive than Sainsburys...

Guest Noodle

Interesting that you can buy it in such quantities - rarely possible here from most retailers. I did look at buying the sacks of rice you see in the chinese merchants here but per kg it was still more expensive than Sainsburys...

My usual stock, very briefly . . . 100kgs washing powder, 15 gallons fabric conditioner, 50 litres shampoo, 300 bars soap, 10-15 gallons washing up liquid (a 5 US gallon drum of washing up liquid just cost me less than £5) . . . and so on.

Same with all longlife stuff. Run the place like a hotel/restaurant. Saves likely 30-40% annually.

Just made 18kgs spag bol sauce with a higher beef content this time for added luxury for about 90p/kg. All divided up into portions and frozen.

I've stopped buying cheese though.

Guest Noodle

What on earth do you need all that for? The three of us have only gotten about half way through a 8kg box of washing powder in the last year.

Washing!

And cleaning!

And sprucing!

It's a big stock for when I go away for long periods of time, helps mother-in-law.

We manufacture detergents and I am afraid that raw material cost have gone up and availability often has decreased. Crude prices are a factor but that is more important from the packaging point of view. There are also a lot of new legislative things going on in Europe which has resulted in some of the old methods being banned and some of the raw materials becoming unfavourable (phosphates are notable - they are significantly bad for the environment).

So the answer is that your detergent is expensive because RM costs are up. You may also be interested to know that, if you are not finding price increases, then you are not getting the same product. Over recent years, the active content of detergents has dropped considerably because consumers are unwilling to pay more up front. All that happens is that they pay more later because they end up using proportionally more! Sorry to those who think they are doing well, but there is no free lunch here.

Guest sillybear2

What on earth do you need all that for? The three of us have only gotten about half way through a 8kg box of washing powder in the last year.

In case there's a dirty war.

Guest Noodle

In case there's a dirty war.

It's farming district, so during hot weather gets dusty . . . filthy in fact.

Guest sillybear2

We manufacture detergents and I am afraid that raw material cost have gone up and availability often has decreased. Crude prices are a factor but that is more important from the packaging point of view. There are also a lot of new legislative things going on in Europe which has resulted in some of the old methods being banned and some of the raw materials becoming unfavourable (phosphates are notable - they are significantly bad for the environment).

So the answer is that your detergent is expensive because RM costs are up. You may also be interested to know that, if you are not finding price increases, then you are not getting the same product. Over recent years, the active content of detergents has dropped considerably because consumers are unwilling to pay more up front. All that happens is that they pay more later because they end up using proportionally more! Sorry to those who think they are doing well, but there is no free lunch here.

You mofos are cutting your crack bad, man.

Because it's deartergent.

Buy in bulk.

The enzymes in your washing powder will degrade with time, particularly with your air-con on the blink.

The fabric softener will be fine.

Guest Noodle

The enzymes in your washing powder will degrade with time, particularly with your air-con on the blink.

The fabric softener will be fine.

It's a non-bio. In fact it's a non-anything. But it gives the impression of cleaning which is good enough for me.

Well, I'll be buying 3 litres (80+ washes) for sub £5 this week. If I can keep it below 10p a wash I'm quite happy.

And that's about as rock and roll as my life gets

It's a non-bio. In fact it's a non-anything. But it gives the impression of cleaning which is good enough for me.

If it's good enough for you, then it's good enough for me.

Good work, Sir.

Well, I'll be buying 3 litres (80+ washes) for sub £5 this week. If I can keep it below 10p a wash I'm quite happy.

And that's about as rock and roll as my life gets

Chatting about washing powder on the internet is about as rock'n'roll as my life gets.

Good work, Sir.