House Price Crash Forum
You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet

So Long And Thanks For All The Fish

I joined (via another alias - technical log in problems) a good number of years ago now, and have followed the forums intently. Mine is a story more of good luck, as opposed to being a high flyer. I left Uni at 21, and was unemployed for a year. My first job a decade ago paid 10k (peanuts even then), after six months I was unemployed again, before becoming a graphic designer - this is the price when house prices started to spiral up and out of control, though I could have never foreseen to what extent. After three and a half years the company went down, and it gave me the shove I needed to go self-employed. This gave me crazy working hours, although a better salary (though barely more than the average Joe). I rented a shared tiny terrace in the north of England, and ate Tesco's cheapest, and saved like mad.

Then I met a girl in Paris and started a relationship. The to and fro flights won't that cheap (cheaper than they are now though), but it continued that way for 3 years, and then I thought what the hell, I work for myself, I'll move to Paris - she was frilled and I was happy, though feeling a bit out of my depth. Long story short, although she only had a low paid job, her family (who live elsewhere in France) were people with property. After we got PACsed (a civil partnership in France), I discovered she actually owned her Paris apartment (from her Dad), which is worth a small fortune due in part to its location. Then we had a baby a couple of years later, and started looking for a larger country property to live in, so we can expand the family. As we're shopping around for houses she tells me about her 'secret account', and naturally I thought she was winding me up. Turns out not only did she own the apartment, but her Gran (now 88) gave her a very significant sum of money a decade ago, which made my years of frugal living, and hard saving (I'd managed to scrape together 100k which I was extremely pleased with) seem a little more piddly.

Now she gets to keep the Paris apartment, and still being in our early 30's, we get a mortgage free life in a completely different region, with a fantastic house, a beautiful garden/wood, and all the amenities close to hand.

In my 20's, my original UK plan was to continue to rent for years on end until this ridiculous housing situation righted itself... Still can't believe it's 2010, and the housing market is still resistant. I'm extremely grateful mine is a story of good fortune, and whilst I'd never consider returning to the UK (not that I have anything against it), for some reason I'm still peeved and get angry by the housing situation there. If it continues for another decade, they'll be another new generation who will take it for granted that affordable housing is only for the privileged. I've been desperately trying to talk my sister (aged 25) out of taking a 200k mortgage with her boyfriend to buy a tiny hovel. As they're both on low salaries I don't think they have any inkling what a decision like that would do for their future.

Anyhow I'm out of here, and wanted to thank everyone for the interesting debates and feedback over the years (and what's a forum without a few trolls to spice things up). Keep fighting the good fight, and if you really get sick of things, contemplate leaving the country... or finding a rich Parisian. :rolleyes:

I joined (via another alias - technical log in problems) a good number of years ago now, and have followed the forums intently. Mine is a story more of good luck, as opposed to being a high flyer. I left Uni at 21, and was unemployed for a year. My first job a decade ago paid 10k (peanuts even then), after six months I was unemployed again, before becoming a graphic designer - this is the price when house prices started to spiral up and out of control, though I could have never foreseen to what extent. After three and a half years the company went down, and it gave me the shove I needed to go self-employed. This gave me crazy working hours, although a better salary (though barely more than the average Joe). I rented a shared tiny terrace in the north of England, and ate Tesco's cheapest, and saved like mad.

Then I met a girl in Paris and started a relationship. The to and fro flights won't that cheap (cheaper than they are now though), but it continued that way for 3 years, and then I thought what the hell, I work for myself, I'll move to Paris - she was frilled and I was happy, though feeling a bit out of my depth. Long story short, although she only had a low paid job, her family (who live elsewhere in France) were people with property. After we got PACsed (a civil partnership in France), I discovered she actually owned her Paris apartment (from her Dad), which is worth a small fortune due in part to its location. Then we had a baby a couple of years later, and started looking for a larger country property to live in, so we can expand the family. As we're shopping around for houses she tells me about her 'secret account', and naturally I thought she was winding me up. Turns out not only did she own the apartment, but her Gran (now 88) gave her a very significant sum of money a decade ago, which made my years of frugal living, and hard saving (I'd managed to scrape together 100k which I was extremely pleased with) seem a little more piddly.

Now she gets to keep the Paris apartment, and still being in our early 30's, we get a mortgage free life in a completely different region, with a fantastic house, a beautiful garden/wood, and all the amenities close to hand.

In my 20's, my original UK plan was to continue to rent for years on end until this ridiculous housing situation righted itself... Still can't believe it's 2010, and the housing market is still resistant. I'm extremely grateful mine is a story of good fortune, and whilst I'd never consider returning to the UK (not that I have anything against it), for some reason I'm still peeved and get angry by the housing situation there. If it continues for another decade, they'll be another new generation who will take it for granted that affordable housing is only for the privileged. I've been desperately trying to talk my sister (aged 25) out of taking a 200k mortgage with her boyfriend to buy a tiny hovel. As they're both on low salaries I don't think they have any inkling what a decision like that would do for their future.

Anyhow I'm out of here, and wanted to thank everyone for the interesting debates and feedback over the years (and what's a forum without a few trolls to spice things up). Keep fighting the good fight, and if you really get sick of things, contemplate leaving the country... or finding a rich Parisian. :rolleyes:

Any advice on who'll score first tomorrow and the lottery numbers on Saturday?

Nice one!

Wait till the City starts seeing its jobs exported en masse and there will be a collective gasp when it is realized there is nothingn left to blow out of their arses.

Don't worry about this country any more, enjoy the life you have now, what is coming down the pipe here over the next few decades is well deserved.

Edited by OnlyMe

I must say I'm slightly envious.

Maybe not for the reasons you might imagine.

The fact that she's had all this money on tap for all these years and you knew nothing, that's why I'm envious.

It means she's sensible, intelligent and frugal, capable of working hard and planning for things that matter.

Enjoy it, you've won the lotto there.

Story of good fortune which is refreshing, shame it takes moving abroad. Best of luck with the future.

Still, I'm building an 8 bedder in the Pyrenees.................., which is nice ;):P:D

Edited by Spongethrower

Thanks everyone. She promised these were the only secrets she had, but I assured her I don't mind secrets like these. :D

As for lottery numbers: 05 22 37 18 45 40

Goodluck with the Pyrenees thing Spongethrower. ;)

Edited by You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet

Thanks everyone. She promised these were the only secrets she had, but I assured her I don't mind secrets like these. :D

Cheers and good luck.

Phew. I'm glad she hasn't told you about me then.

Pahh these foreigners coming to our country, taking our jobs stealing our women. Oh woops sorry I thought it was the other way round :P Um I take it you speak french, the french are funny with stuff like that...

You thought about getting into BTL, with 100k you could put a deposit down on a couple of flats? :o

Edited by AteMoose

Guest Noodle

Story of good fortune which is refreshing, shame it takes moving abroad. Best of luck with the future.

Still, I'm building an 8 bedder in the Pyrenees.................., which is nice ;):P:D

No, a 9 bedder.

Good boy say! ;)

Pahh these foreigners coming to our country, taking our jobs stealing our women. Oh woops sorry I thought it was the other way round tongue.gif Um I take it you speak french, the french are funny with stuff like that...

You thought about getting into BTL, with 100k you could put a deposit down on a couple of flats? ohmy.gif

Are you really sure that the "french are funny" about things like that!!! or have you just been told that from your Xenophobic family???

Guest Noodle

My life's just the same, mush. But without all those good bits.

Well done. Has she got a sister?

Link!

Preferably in a french maids outfit (her not you)

Bon chance!

We'll there is just one more secret dear

Its my Sister......

She want to join us in the bedroom.....

and she's wearing a french maids outfit.......

Jammy Get

I'm frilled for ya'.

Then I met a girl in Paris and started a relationship.

All the planning and work, and yet ultimately the direction of your life and prosperity is governed by a chance encounter.

We like to think we are in charge of our destinies, but are we?

Good luck to you.

Guest Noodle

All the planning and work, and yet ultimately the direction of your life and prosperity is governed by a chance encounter.

We like to think we are in charge of our destinies, but are we?

Good luck to you.

Well he's got a better chance than meeting one in Pattaya. :rolleyes:

That's the funny thing about life Juvenal, and why it's sometimes hard to take too seriously. I had an incident last year where I collapsed in front of my baby's cot and thought my game was up... As my skinny frame lay there half naked (I'd just come out the shower), three burly firemen turned up within a couple of minutes, trying to help me to breath before I went to hospital, and I remember thinking how tragic and ridiculous the situation was. :D

I don't think the French really care about other French hitching up with English... Sadly if I was Chinese or African, a lot would have a different perception. With that said I have inherited very "special" inlaws. The suicidal, alcholic mother-in-law did once refer to 'the filthy English', though that's just the stereotypical French view of the English. The Italians think the same about the French. :)

Sorry chaps, no sister... Guess being an only child has its advantages.

It's a bit weird reading this story - so much of it mirrors my own life!

Uni, unemployment, Parisian girl, jetting over every month, turns out the girl has money...

Well done to the OP - you've been handed a fortune on a plate, but it sounds like you're being sensible with it.

And no, I'm not talking about the inheritance and spending it on a paid-for home.

I'm talking about catching the girl ;)

Uni, unemployment, Parisian girl, jetting over every month, turns out the girl has money...

Well done to the OP - you've been handed a fortune on a plate, but it sounds like you're being sensible with it.

And no, I'm not talking about the inheritance and spending it on a paid-for home.

I'm talking about catching the girl ;)

Congrats Deeplurker... Glad I'm not alone in this! :)

Old fashioned and sentimental as it sounds, finding the right girl and realising family is the most important thing can make the poorest person rich. I'm blessed on two accounts.

I'm talking about catching the girl wink.gif

Similar to my story although Latvian girl has no money!!!!!!!

I think I hate you :P