House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

2014 Will Determine Course Of Century, Says Cambridge Professor

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7832724/2014-will-determine-course-of-century-says-Cambridge-professor.html

Prof Nicholas Boyle claims that events of the fateful year will decide whether the world enjoys peace and prosperity over the coming decades or suffers war and poverty.

He believes financial turmoil could be the trigger for the crisis, and that the reactions of American leaders will be crucial to its outcome. He also thinks new global organisations will be key to securing stability rather than nation-states.

Prof Boyle argues that 2014 will be important because previous five centuries have also hinged on events that took place in the middle of their second decade.

In 1517 Martin Luther nailed his theses to the door of Wittenburg church, sparking the Reformation and the rise of Protestantism.

A century later 1618 marked the start of the 30 Years War and decades of religious conflict in Western Europe, which ended with the establishment of the Hanoverians in 1715.

The enlightened Congress of Vienna took place in 1815 following the defeat of Napoleon, heralding a century of relative stability across Europe.

But in 1914 the First World War broke out, a catastrophic conflict that would claim millions of lives and set the tone for international discord throughout the 21st century.

Prof Boyle, whose book 2014 - How to survive the next world crisis is published on Thursday, said: “The character of a century becomes very apparent in that second decade, so why should ours be any different?

“Partly the timing has to do with the way we divide our understanding of human life and human history.

“If a century is going to have a character it is going to become apparent by the time it is approaching 20 years old, the same is true of human beings.

“Another factor is the sequence of generations. By about two decades in the generation that was really dominant in the last phase of the previous century has had its day.

“The future is beginning to be defined by their children who will only have lived in or have memories of the new century."

Professor Boyle predicted recent economic collapse could herald the start of a wider breakdown in international relations.

The USA will become the key player in a series of make-or-break decisions and either condemn us to a century of violence and poverty, or usher in a new age of global co-operation.

But he cautioned the peaceful alternative is only possible if the world realises the age of individual nation states is over and an effective system of global governance is introduced.

Flashpoints of world politics such as climate change and the rise of China and India, as well as the global credit crisis, will need international co-operation to be resolved.

One for the TFH.

I would have thought a major crisis is likely within the next 18 months.

Well, I guess it's getting a bit late in the day to be publishing another doom prophecy for 2012, so just bump the date forward by a couple of years, innit :rolleyes:

EDIT: I just realized this is my post number 2014 :blink::ph34r:

Edited by VoteWithYourFeet

Well, I guess it's getting a bit late in the day to be publishing another doom prophecy for 2012, so just bump the date forward by a couple of years, innit :rolleyes:

Spooky.

Scared of room 237?

Guest sillybear2

We have a single government in the UK. Does it stop people within the UK from fighting each other?

No, I didn't think of it like that, now I just want to kick your a$$.

Guest Noodle

Peak oil.

Nah, there's loads of oil. You'll be able to scoop it off beaches soon.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7832724/2014-will-determine-course-of-century-says-Cambridge-professor.html

One for the TFH.

I would have thought a major crisis is likely within the next 18 months.

He is a "Professor of German" - he is a language teacher.

http://www.mml.cam.ac.uk/german/staff/nb215/

And on the topic he is writing about, he is a charlatan, with as much "science" as a clairvoyant.

LOL! Brilliant! :lol:

Guest sillybear2

Maybe in 2014 a bank will finally be denied a bailout, then the top 1% will try and fight pitched battles with the other 99%, this will be known as the "30 second war".

We have a single government in the UK. Does it stop people within the UK from fighting each other?

it gives them continual reason to.

He is a "Professor of German" - he is a language teacher.

http://www.mml.cam.ac.uk/german/staff/nb215/

And on the topic he is writing about, he is a charlatan, with as much "science" as a clairvoyant.

+1 Cambridge should be ashamed of him. Centuries are compared to humans, having personalities that develop in their second decade. He sees no reason why this century should be different to the last 4 (err... nuclear weapons, 7 billion people to be fed with peak oil round the corner, creaking global infrastructure). His hypothesis (at least from that snippet) rests on some 'cycle' of unrelated events. Most likely scenario seem to be some sort of academic dementia - presumably his colleagues are too polite to let him down gently on what they think of his 'thesis'...

it gives them continual reason to.

While there is an abundance of apes and limited resources, they will always fight. It's called life.

While there is an abundance of apes and limited resources, they will always fight. It's called life.

heard this a lot.

Never seen much of it.

What I have seen doesn't produce anything.

(Disclaimer - I had an offer of "outside!" today in tesco. That a life we lead, eh?)

heard this a lot.

Never seen much of it.

(Disclaimer - I had an offer of "outside!" today in tesco. That a life we lead, eh?)

You don't think people fight when they can't get what they need?

What were you fighting over in Tesco? Or was it perhaps something else?

Guest sillybear2

heard this a lot.

Never seen much of it.

That's because you have an unlimited supply of Injin Dollars, nobody wants my Silly Pounds.

Edited by sillybear2