House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Deckard

U.k. Retail Sales Rise More Than Forecast On Wide Screen Tv Sales

U.K. Retail Sales Rise More Than Economists Forecast

June 17 (Bloomberg) -- U.K. retail sales increased more than economists forecast in May as shoppers bought electrical goods such as wide-screen televisions to watch the World Cup soccer tournament.

Sales climbed 0.6 percent on the month, the Office for National Statistics said today in London. Economists predicted a 0.1 percent gain, according to the median of 21 forecasts in a Bloomberg News survey. Sales were unchanged in April, revised down from a 0.3 percent increase.

J Sainsbury Plc, the U.K.’s third-largest supermarket owner, said yesterday that World Cup items are “selling well” and it reported higher sales in the three months ending May 16. Consumers may limit spending later this year as Prime Minister David Cameron’s government implements the deepest budget cuts in a generation.

“You’ll probably see a decent figure in June, and the better the England team do in the World Cup, the more likely sales will benefit,” Howard Archer, chief U.K. economist at IHS Global Insight in London, said in a telephone interview.

I hear Don Fabio has been promised a knighthood should England go all the way :P

Well this month is packed with some mega sales on - loads of big cuts and short sale dates - makes me feel like they're desperate for cash ...

Maybe no one is buying!

U.K. Retail Sales Rise More Than Economists Forecast

I hear Don Fabio has been promised a knighthood should England go all the way :P

So..... the month on month growth looks good because last months figure was revised down?

Also, apparently, sales growth is 2.2% year on year (BBC). BUT.... with inflation running wayyyy higher than that, then these sales figures are hardly good news?

Edited by anonguest

So..... the month on month growth looks good because last months figure was revised down?

Also, apparently, sales growth is 2.2% year on year (BBC). BUT.... with inflation running wayyyy higher than that, then these sales figures are hardly good news?

I was wondering if these take inflation into account?

If total £sales are up less than inflation, then it's a fall surely????

Have people bought a new TV in the hope England actually win and they get the TV for free?

If my TV had been out of warranty I'd have bought a new one, a nice tax free bet.

Holy sh!t batman, that's optimism for ya! :D

I bought a brand spanking new Sony bravia at the start of June, primarily because my old 17" panel was no good for watching films, but the world cup and the fact it the TV has Freeview HD built in did sway me.

Exactly. It's only TV's AND WORLD CUP ITEMS HOLDING UP OUR ECONOMY!! July -September's result will be down after the cuts have started. If there are not enough cuts wave goodbye to the pound. If there are too many, but enough to start actually reducing the deficit properly, then the recession will reignite from Qtr 4. and start 2011.

Aren't people being promised these tv's for free if england win the world cup ?

Therefore, people aren't actually buying them, they are getting them for free, cause it's surely Englands time.

If they go out at the group stage do they tv buyers have to pay extra :lol:

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

U.K. retail sales increased more than economists forecast

Economists are sh1t.

Hope that helps.

Holy sh!t batman, that's optimism for ya! :D

I bought a brand spanking new Sony bravia at the start of June, primarily because my old 17" panel was no good for watching films, but the world cup and the fact it the TV has Freeview HD built in did sway me.

But if you where considering getting a TV it would be a decent bet, problem is it might have brought forward demand, sales next month could be flat (no pun intended).