House Price Crash Forum

Who Here Is Unemployed?

HOLA441

As poll.

I am under-employed. Doing odd jobs/minimum wage/slave labour jobs just to get the income in.

I am desperate for a full time job, but for every single full time job which I've applied for and been qualified for, I have not received a single reply, not even "thanks for your CV".

Please be honest, and lets see if we can paint a picture of whats going on ;)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

This has the makings of a fascinating poll.

I'm under-employed self-employed, residential property and social housing clients - the latter I suspect now making big cuts, the former has been very slow since Jan of this year.

HOLA443
HOLA444

It's another HPC "what are you like?" poll.

I bet if you put all the polls together, you'd get a good snapshot of who HPC attracts. Could be useful information to someone, that.

Apparently we are all gold spandex clad timelords who live in an economics library we bought at 2x income, after selling the family home in 2005.

HOLA445

who here is unemployed? I'd say almost everyone judging by how busy this forum

is during normal working hours.

I'm employed full time, I'll vote later can't see polls on my iPhone. I probably should be doing some work anyway....

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Self employed and not particularly busy at the mo.

Self-employed too. Pretty slack and likely to remain so or become worse for the medium term. Have been self-employed for about 16 years and it's more difficult to earn enough now than at any time since the start. So, you public sector folks listen up. In the private sector there have been wage and earnings cuts for the last two years and probably more to come. If you have a job, even with a 5% pay cut you should be grateful for that. My pay has cut itself over the last 2 years by about 25% and I have to pay for my own pension and risk bankruptcy.

There is a cross section of society on this forum, but some who like to look only for news that points to a HPC are more vocal. Speak up you others with the alternative views!

HOLA4410

Self employed managing websites for about 50 clients. I work when I want, maintaining the required 16 hours per week.

Wife does the same selling books.

No point in working harder, we'd just lose most of it in tax credit reductions.

Thatcher's Britain eh?

Why is that Thatcher's Britain? She left in 1990! Tax credits were brought in by Brown. It's the aftermath of Labour Britain at present. I agree it is very difficult to make much headway to improve yourself if the credits are just removed in response, if that's your point. Listen to Jim Rogers on the thread posted today. You will see why I would expect these credits to be scaled back.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Unemployed through choice :)

Was working contracts down south (Aircraft engineer), currently planning on going to university in september... although after reading some of the recent HE threads I'm thinking about maybe getting a tossy little job and doing a distance learning course from LSE etc instead... decisions decisions.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Employed full time. Have no idea how im still here, as hardly any work just lots of potential contracts which never seem to materialise. Should be in saudi about now but heard nowt since being told to get jabs. At least i get the cash back for the rabies jabs!

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

As poll.

I am under-employed. Doing odd jobs/minimum wage/slave labour jobs just to get the income in.

I am desperate for a full time job, but for every single full time job which I've applied for and been qualified for, I have not received a single reply, not even "thanks for your CV".

Please be honest, and lets see if we can paint a picture of whats going on ;)

Can't you get a job with the Met Office? Exeter's quite nice.

(That was you that called the cold spell in the winter, wasn't it?)

HOLA4420

state sector supply teacher, crap work (sewer cleaning) !

I keep under the 6.5K threshold, considering joining an umbrella to claim expenses etc.

I refuse to pay income tax now

I refuse to buy new stuff from shops (car boot)

I refuse to use conventional fuels (bio)

I refuse to buy alcohol (homebrew)

All money I do spend is in other economies, I hate this country, they have betrayed their people in so many ways.

I want out of the money system asap, I have a 6figure sum in the bank.

HOLA4421

i work through a labour hire agency , casual contracts

i put underemployed but i have been working 50 hours a week the past 2 months

alot of places seem to just be hiring temps instead of putting full time staff on nowdays , it's a real pain for those looking for something more secure

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

It's another HPC "what are you like?" poll.

I bet if you put all the polls together, you'd get a good snapshot of who HPC attracts. Could be useful information to someone, that.

Apparently we are all gold spandex clad timelords who live in an economics library we bought at 2x income, after selling the family home in 2005.

You forgot to mention our bulging wallets stuffed full of fiat currency issued by the Bank of Bumwad.

HOLA4424

You left out:

Self-Employed Private Investor,

paying full taxes on my investing profits.

(As a US citizen based in HK, I have no choice on the taxes.)

In one year (2007/8), the taxes I paid could have bought 1 1/2 x the Average UK Home.

So someone else does benefit from my successes.

Over my many years in the UK, I paid loads of taxes, benefitting many, ranging from the "deserving poor", to benefit cheats. But here in HK, it is mostly Uncle Sam that I pay taxes to. I haven't worked out what he does for me yet.

I have a few buddies in the same boat, the preferred term is GI- gentleman investor .....

Being a US citizen in HK must suck bigtime , the high price of real estate/rent is an implicit tax , so paying uncle sam a big chunck of cash is like paying taxes twice ,

HOLA4425