House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Patfig

Mpv 7 Seater

Hi Guys

Any of you out there MPV owners?

I am looking to maybe get one soon, a true 7/8 seater with a decent boot too.

If you have one let me know if it is good or bad.

I am thinking of a Previa but am looking for info on options

Hi Guys

age, budget, transmission and fuel economy ?

Let's say you have £10K to spend..... it's virtually impossible to get a true 7/8 seater AND luggage space. If you want that and you don't particularly care about looks, just buy a Merecedes VIto Long or a VW Shuttle LWB - a diesel manual with a cast iron service history you can check that it isn't clocked. Or if less of a budget and you know what you are looking at, some of the Jap imports can be decent..... but they'll almost all the petrols.

Partly because of their usual reliability and no doubt because of their ownership demographic, so so so many of them are clocked rubbish. I'd avoid a Grand Espace like the plague - and like the Plague with AIDS if it's automatic. And an imported Toyota Estima Lucida is so much narrower

IF you bought a basic 807 or Citroen equivalent, then you might find luggage space is short.

IF you have more money to spend, then a Merc GL long wheelbase - but it's a £40K plus car even used.

age, budget, transmission and fuel economy ?

Let's say you have £10K to spend..... it's virtually impossible to get a true 7/8 seater AND luggage space. If you want that and you don't particularly care about looks, just buy a Merecedes VIto Long or a VW Shuttle LWB - a diesel manual with a cast iron service history you can check that it isn't clocked. Or if less of a budget and you know what you are looking at, some of the Jap imports can be decent..... but they'll almost all the petrols.

Partly because of their usual reliability and no doubt because of their ownership demographic, so so so many of them are clocked rubbish. I'd avoid a Grand Espace like the plague - and like the Plague with AIDS if it's automatic. And an imported Toyota Estima Lucida is so much narrower

IF you bought a basic 807 or Citroen equivalent, then you might find luggage space is short.

IF you have more money to spend, then a Merc GL long wheelbase - but it's a £40K plus car even used.

Thanks for that budget is 4 to 5K and fuel I don't mind.I was looking at a previa, mazda mpv, citroen C8, Galaxy and anything else that migth pop up, so i reckon we are looking at something aybe from 2003ish give or take.

When you have more money and prices have settled in a few years, check out a used VW Caddy Maxi Life - I run a low mileage 2008 model (the first year they became available in the UK) and it is a joy: over 50 MPG with plenty of power on a golf 1.9 engine, offering a full 7 seats with massive van sized interior and heaps of luggage for 7 too. It is a VW commercial production based on the long wheelbase Caddy Maxi van, a tough workhorse where vast mileages are common, but they bunged in a/c etc to spruce it up. Looks are quirky but many comment on how attractive and unusual it is. Cheap tax too, I think it cost me 135 or something. Cruises on the motorway at 80 without strain and 0-60 in 11 secs so sprightly enough. Drives like a car. I researched MPVs in great detail and could not find anything to match its MPG/size. Look here:

http://www.carpages.co.uk/volkswagen/volkswagen-caddy-maxi-review-part-1-05-06-08.asp

When you have more money and prices have settled in a few years, check out a used VW Caddy Maxi Life - I run a low mileage 2008 model (the first year they became available in the UK) and it is a joy: over 50 MPG with plenty of power on a golf 1.9 engine, offering a full 7 seats with massive van sized interior and heaps of luggage for 7 too. It is a VW commercial production based on the long wheelbase Caddy Maxi van, a tough workhorse where vast mileages are common, but they bunged in a/c etc to spruce it up. Looks are quirky but many comment on how attractive and unusual it is. Cheap tax too, I think it cost me 135 or something. Cruises on the motorway at 80 without strain and 0-60 in 11 secs so sprightly enough. Drives like a car. I researched MPVs in great detail and could not find anything to match its MPG/size. Look here:

http://www.carpages.co.uk/volkswagen/volkswagen-caddy-maxi-review-part-1-05-06-08.asp

Looks great but well over budget

Thanks for that budget is 4 to 5K and fuel I don't mind.I was looking at a previa, mazda mpv, citroen C8, Galaxy and anything else that migth pop up, so i reckon we are looking at something aybe from 2003ish give or take.

Personally I'd go for the Galaxy in that price range, there should be plenty available and they are pretty solid.

Guest Noodle

Hi Guys

Just looking at these right now. It's either an MPV or a van.

Citroen C8 seem to be a bargain for the MPV.

C8, 24000 miles

Renault Kangoo bargain van.

Kangoo 30000 miles

Yes, I was most impressed by them. Nearly bought one about 6 months ago but have decided to squeeze a bit more from my Berlingo, whilst I wait for more to come onto the second hand market. As you allued to, the only realy negative about the Caddy Maxi Life is that they are somewhat overpriced.

Ideally I'd go for a Caravelle but they're not cheap.

Edit: The OP should be very careful with the car tax and fuel costs of some of these MPVs. Some of the cheaper ones, especially the petrol models have appalling mpg and £400+ road tax.

Guest Noodle

Yes, I was most impressed by them. Nearly bought one about 6 months ago but have decided to squeeze a bit more from my Berlingo, whilst I wait for more to come onto the second hand market. As you allued to, the only realy negative about the Caddy Maxi Life is that they are somewhat overpriced.

Ideally I'd go for a Caravelle but they're not cheap.

What's the Berlingo like? I'm a big fan of Citroen and this is the size of van I'm after.

What's the Berlingo like? I'm a big fan of Citroen and this is the size of van I'm after.

Doesn't look much but ace storage in them (excellent square load bay little ingress from the wheelarch) plus lots of separate compartments, drive well too.

Guest Noodle

Doesn't look much but ace storage in them (excellent square load bay little ingress from the wheelarch) plus lots of separate compartments, drive well too.

Cheers mush.

It's a great car. Everybody I know rubbishes Citroens but I've had it 6 years now and had very few problems with it. I've got the 1.6 16V petrol model. It drives well and is quite nippy for a car shaped like a brick.

Problems so far:

> fan rheostat failed - fan stuck on maximum speed for about 2 weeks till replaced under warranty.

> tailgate strut failed - replaced under warranty. Careful with these, if one strut fails then the tailgate slams..HARD. (Don't sit on in the back having a picnic with your legs dangling out the back!)

> modutop door hinges break easily (modutop = the aircraft style overhead lockers). The hinges and door lids are one-part moulded Polypropylene - you are unlikely to find a publically available glue that will repair these. Plastic welding may work if you know someone who does that. Replacements from Citroen are £90 each! - In short - don't bother getting the modutop option (they may have improved the design now.

> The sliding door handles break. The alloy pin inside shears. The interior push button opener still works so if you don't want to pay £60 for a replacement door handle set (of couse you can't buy the pin separately!) then you have to open the front door, reach in and press the button to open it from the inside. Both of mine went after 4 years. I've left one unrepaired. The weakness is down to the hook at the bottom of the sliding door sticking and then people just yank the door handle harder when all you need to do is nudge the door with your knee to slide it backwards a bit to free the stuck hook. I suppose a bit of regular oiling/greasing of the mechanism would have helped :-(

The new model has a different design so I think Citroen realised the originals were a problem.

> Various other plasticy interior bits break/fall off. e.g. I keep kicking the speaker grill as I get in the car and the grill pops off. I suppose I should dab a bit of superglue there to keep it on.

> Mechanically I have had only one problem - the starter motor failed. A new one was about £60 from a motor factors. Changing it was straigtforward but you do need an extra person to help, unless you have a 2 metre long prehensile tail to hold the starter motor whilst you insert and tighten the 3 securing bolts.

> It's easy to work on for most other things engine-wise, plenty of room. I've done the usual e.g. oil filter, air filter, spark plugs and a new battery just recently.

> Overall, It's just the interior build that's a bit poor. Just get the basic version with no fancy extras that will break or fall off.

> I get around 30mpg overall (mostly short school runs etc). When we do a long trip it's approx 40mpg, sometimes more if I don't exceed 70mph too much.

Space-wise they are a tardis. Will take a full size washing machine - upright. Show me an estate car that will do that.

Guest Noodle

It's a great car. Everybody I know rubbishes Citroens but I've had it 6 years now and had very few problems with it. I've got the 1.6 16V petrol model. It drives well and is quite nippy for a car shaped like a brick.

Problems so far:

> fan rheostat failed - fan stuck on maximum speed for about 2 weeks till replaced under warranty.

> tailgate strut failed - replaced under warranty. Careful with these, if one strut fails then the tailgate slams..HARD. (Don't sit on in the back having a picnic with your legs dangling out the back!)

> modutop door hinges break easily (modutop = the aircraft style overhead lockers). The hinges and door lids are one-part moulded Polypropylene - you are unlikely to find a publically available glue that will repair these. Plastic welding may work if you know someone who does that. Replacements from Citroen are £90 each! - In short - don't bother getting the modutop option (they may have improved the design now.

> The sliding door handles break. The alloy pin inside shears. The interior push button opener still works so if you don't want to pay £60 for a replacement door handle set (of couse you can't buy the pin separately!) then you have to open the front door, reach in and press the button to open it from the inside. Both of mine went after 4 years. I've left one unrepaired. The weakness is down to the hook at the bottom of the sliding door sticking and then people just yank the door handle harder when all you need to do is nudge the door with your knee to slide it backwards a bit to free the stuck hook. I suppose a bit of regular oiling/greasing of the mechanism would have helped :-(

The new model has a different design so I think Citroen realised the originals were a problem.

> Various other plasticy interior bits break/fall off. e.g. I keep kicking the speaker grill as I get in the car and the grill pops off. I suppose I should dab a bit of superglue there to keep it on.

> Mechanically I have had only one problem - the starter motor failed. A new one was about £60 from a motor factors. Changing it was straigtforward but you do need an extra person to help, unless you have a 2 metre long prehensile tail to hold the starter motor whilst you insert and tighten the 3 securing bolts.

> It's easy to work on for most other things engine-wise, plenty of room. I've done the usual e.g. oil filter, air filter, spark plugs and a new battery just recently.

> Overall, It's just the interior build that's a bit poor. Just get the basic version with no fancy extras that will break or fall off.

> I get around 30mpg overall (mostly short school runs etc). When we do a long trip it's approx 40mpg, sometimes more if I don't exceed 70mph too much.

Space-wise they are a tardis. Will take a full size washing machine - upright. Show me an estate car that will do that.

Had an old Xantia TD in the UK, for 6 years. The starter motor clonked out once, that was it. Did 100k in the thing no issues.

Fancy another Xantia TD if I can find a low milage one. Built like tanks.

Personally I'd go for the Galaxy in that price range, there should be plenty available and they are pretty solid.

+1

Traded my old Peugeot 406 estate for a 1.9Tdi Galaxy (2005 model) last year. Tons of space - can be a 2 seat 'van' or a 7 seat people carrier. I paid €7k for mine (LHD) but RHD ones were going for between £4-5k. Mines quite basic (called the Trend over here in France). If you can, go for the Ghia or Ghia X - loads of equipment.

Just drove from Bordeaux to Cologne (1100km - 660miles) and got 52mpg out of it. The tank is quite small though at 65L.

Try to get one that's got tinted rear windows as the option of a rear parcel shelf is VERY rare due to the fact that the 2 rear seats fill the boot a bit.

There's a very good forum to check out any potential mechanical issues here - Ford Galaxy Owners Club Forum

Check out the Seat Alhambra and the VW Sharan too as they're all pretty much the same mechanically, just a few small differences.

I have a Mazda 5 and would recommend it. Make sure you buy a diesel though, I'm only averaging about 32mpg with a 2l petrol.

Sport trim is good with air con, cd multi changer etc etc.

With 7 seats up you can get a small buggy in the boot, with 5 up you can get half the house in.

I have a Mazda 5 and would recommend it. Make sure you buy a diesel though, I'm only averaging about 32mpg with a 2l petrol.

Sport trim is good with air con, cd multi changer etc etc.

With 7 seats up you can get a small buggy in the boot, with 5 up you can get half the house in.

I might get one of those next, but I think they are a bit small for the OP.. they are in the Zafira/307SW class of occasional 7 seaters.