House Price Crash Forum
HPCbeliever

Changing Mind After Giving Notice

We are hopefully moving soon but it looks as if everything will not be ssigned and sealed before i have to give my notice on the current house. If I don't give it next week then I will have an overlap of a month. I think it is highly unlikely that the landlord will get a new tenant in a month as the house is next to a building project and other houses in the area are up for rent and not exactly flying off the shelves. If I give my notice and then can't move, can the landlord still force me to leave or can I buy more time?

We are hopefully moving soon but it looks as if everything will not be ssigned and sealed before i have to give my notice on the current house. If I don't give it next week then I will have an overlap of a month. I think it is highly unlikely that the landlord will get a new tenant in a month as the house is next to a building project and other houses in the area are up for rent and not exactly flying off the shelves. If I give my notice and then can't move, can the landlord still force me to leave or can I buy more time?

Of course he can force you to leave, but he will need a court order which will take time.

But if he hasn't got a new tenant lined up to move in immediately, why would he do this?

tim

Have you talked to him? He might be perfectly agreeable to you giving notice for a date which isn't the anniversary of the rental. You can agree anything you like.

Also, an overlap of a few days is worth paying for, in my opinion - takes a whole load of stress off as you can get the new place sorted so much more easily.

Also, an overlap of a few days is worth paying for, in my opinion - takes a whole load of stress off as you can get the new place sorted so much more easily.

Definitely !