House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

Women Would Rather Be On The Mobile Than Eat!

No link available to this Jill Papworth article from Guardian Money 12.6.2010, so I've typed it out in the public interest:

A study into how women prioritise their bills by shopping discount site MyVoucherCodes.co.uk asked more than 1600 women to select between different monthly outgoings and pick which they would spend their money on first to ensure it was paid before they ran out of money.

More than half (54%) said they would pay their mobile bill before working out how much of their income they have left to spend on food.

When asked why, 82% of this group said they would rather be short of food than be cut off by their service provider and not be able to use their mobile. 31% of the female respondents said they would prioritise buying beauty products over paying their council tax, 11% said they would buy clothes before making sure they had enough to apy their rent or mortgage and 7% claimed they calued "going out money" as more important than their gas or electric bill.

Only 26% of women polled said they became concerned if a bill was paid late and more than 2/5th, 43%, said they had received a letter in the past six months chasing them for a bill payment.

These are shocking findings, indeed.

How can one find a thrifty, responsible partner when these attitudes prevail?

Are you looking?

No point. I'm currently handicapped by a missing front tooth. An implant is £1500, but I'm too tight to buy it. I'm a solvent, GSOH male who now looks like an aging Saturday night brawler.

I trust these awful survey findings don't reflect your goodself?

I hate this "research" done by marketing companies as a way of getting a free ad in the papers. There is some good social science and social psychology out there, but its getting drowned out by bullsh1t from these people who don't have anyone to appeal re: experimental design, balance etc. Heres another one, this time from the scientific heavyweights at "Florette Fruit";two thirds of women are petulant children.florette-fruit-170.jpg

Oh Juvenal I can overlook the tooth business - but are you a 'fun guy'?

My PAYG has had £20 on it for at least the last 2 months without running out yet so I guess I am not a mobile addict.

I also do not have a Facebook account.

Maybe it's only young women with that problem.

My PAYG has had £20 on it for at least the last 2 months without running out yet so I guess I am not a mobile addict.

No constant texting and demands for call backs?

There is a god.

It's a real pain when a woman gives you her number. I find it very passive aggressive behaviour. It obligates you. The next thing she wants to know why you haven't called her yet, but if you do call or text then it seems to imply that you wish to engage in endless talking and texting. Then of course there's the 'multiple text' if you don't reply (which I don't, unless I want to).

So, the best advice I think I gave to my son was:- never give a woman your number. He's thanked me often for that.

"Fun guy"??

'Oh, my aching sides!', the ladies say. 'Give me a moment's respite from your non-stop hilarities, Juvenal - you rib-tickling mirthmeister, you! After the delicious meal you cooked me, and the vintage wines, your lack of an incisor has become almost a plus point! That gap is quite mesmerising! I daren't even think of the delights to come my way tonight!'

Helenreed, your parsimony in phone-usage, and abhorrence of Facebook makes you sound verrrry attractive....

Many years ago I came across an ad in the Time Out singles column where the man described himself as a 'fun guy, very thin' and this conjured up in my mind someone who I would definitely not want to encounter. If a man trying to lure a woman describes himself as very thin, he must be positively skeletal and with that image in mind I could not marry up the 'fun' element to his character. Funny how certain things stick in your mind and still make you laugh years later.

Truth is I am actually after a cynical, misanthrope who likes a giggle. Can't find one.

No link available to this Jill Papworth article from Guardian Money 12.6.2010, so I've typed it out in the public interest:

A study into how women prioritise their bills by shopping discount site MyVoucherCodes.co.uk asked more than 1600 women to select between different monthly outgoings and pick which they would spend their money on first to ensure it was paid before they ran out of money.

More than half (54%) said they would pay their mobile bill before working out how much of their income they have left to spend on food.

When asked why, 82% of this group said they would rather be short of food than be cut off by their service provider and not be able to use their mobile. 31% of the female respondents said they would prioritise buying beauty products over paying their council tax, 11% said they would buy clothes before making sure they had enough to apy their rent or mortgage and 7% claimed they calued "going out money" as more important than their gas or electric bill.

Only 26% of women polled said they became concerned if a bill was paid late and more than 2/5th, 43%, said they had received a letter in the past six months chasing them for a bill payment.

These are shocking findings, indeed.

How can one find a thrifty, responsible partner when these attitudes prevail?

:blink: Oh FFS.

Who are these women?

My mobile usage is even lower than Helen's!