House Price Crash Forum

Google Uk Adds House-Hunting To Maps

HOLA441

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/jun/16/google-maps-property-finder

Sorry if already posted.

Google UK has set its sights on cashing in on the property market by beefing up Google Maps with new house-hunting services from partners including real estate agent giant Countrywide, Zoopla and Trinity Mirror.The new property finder service, which goes live today, will allow home buyers and renters to search for properties by a city or location and drill down by specifics such as price, type and numbers of bedrooms and bathrooms.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Rightmove is the biggest user of google maps *in the world* (Oh say it in a JC voice please)

Until 6 months ago or so they used bing maps/ windows live local as it was then.

I guess Google has the added streetview feature, enabling you to view the burnt out 1985 Vauxhall Cavalier in the front garden of the opposite home.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

So can you see houses for sale yet? Or is it not launched yet?

I can't read the guardian sometimes - they can blather on about something but refuse to link to it or explain what it actually is.

I like it to be honest and in time I hope it enables people to be able to list their own properties and cut out estate agents

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=united+kingdom&mrt=realestate&ie=UTF8&utm_campaign=en&utm_medium=van&utm_source=en-van-eu-gb-gns-gm&z=6

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I like it to be honest and in time I hope it enables people to be able to list their own properties and cut out estate agents

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=united+kingdom&mrt=realestate&ie=UTF8&utm_campaign=en&utm_medium=van&utm_source=en-van-eu-gb-gns-gm&z=6

Thanks!

I was looking in the wrong bit.

:)

fooking hell. Aint there a lot of houses for sale!

Edited by SarahBell

HOLA4411

Thanks!

I was looking in the wrong bit.

:)

fooking hell. Aint there a lot of houses for sale!

Be careful about those maps. I looked at my street. When I noticed that some houses were on of £1m I knew there was something badly wrong. Two of the first three "dots" I looked at on the map were houses from other towns entirely. Having half of the street name in common was the only reason I could see for these mistakes. IMO Google have a lot of bug fixing to do on this one before they get the basics right.

To be fair it looks like they left the geocoding to the EA's. But Google's belief that matching to a vaguely similar address will correctly locate a property is just lazy.