House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Slow Boot On Win7 - The Driver Detected A Controller Error On \device\ide\ideport1.

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1.

Google search

Windows 7 is being very slow at booting anyone seen this before? I'm getting the above message in the event log during boot time, it appears about 6 or 7 times in the event log.

I assume this is on the IDE ports rather than the SATA ones? The only devices I have are IDE now are the DVD-roms. So I suspect that this is either a dodgy IDE cable failing or one of the DVD-roms are failing.

Is their anything else it could be?

much of the controller on IDE is on the drive itself, same as SATA.

the error could refer to either IDE or the SATA.

you could try changing cables, or interface slots to see if the problem goes away.

sometimes setting the BIOS to defaults fixes.

BACK UP any data for sure before it fails.

Power down and disconnect from the mains for a couple of minutes may reset....just powering down, many components still receive a trickle.

If you find out please let us know. My Windows 7 box is doing the same, I've ripped everything out apart from a single SATA cable and the main HDD.

I got a feeling it something horrible like SecuROM that attempted to install itself during Toca Race driver.

In fact i've got re-install to a temp drive tonight as I need to copy a terabyte of data from off my media center disk to a new 2 terabyte drive, and I'm not doing it over USB.

Thanks for the info.

Looks like it's going to be trial and error to find what's wrong.

I had hoped flashing both the DVD-Roms with the latest firmware might have fixed the issue but alas not.

I was hoping someone was going to have a quick fix, I'll try a new IDE cable first and see what happens.

Set it to scandisk (and repair errors) on your windows drive on the next start up. It might explain the long boot up time if there is a bad sector on the disk.

Doesn't explain the error messages but a flakey drive may be confusing windows. I have used operating systems from 3 and 95 right thru to the latest offerings. Since 1993 when I first put my hands on a windows machine have learned not to take too much notice of windows errors messages.

Of course if that doesn't work then trial and error on your ide/sata cables.

If you find out please let us know. My Windows 7 box is doing the same, I've ripped everything out apart from a single SATA cable and the main HDD.

I got a feeling it something horrible like SecuROM that attempted to install itself during Toca Race driver.

In fact i've got re-install to a temp drive tonight as I need to copy a terabyte of data from off my media center disk to a new 2 terabyte drive, and I'm not doing it over USB.

Just swapped the IDE cable on the DVD-RW's and both times I've booted it's been very quick.

So preliminary results for me at least show it's the cable at fault. However I'll find out for sure the more times I boot the PC.

Perhaps you should try a new SATA cable on your hdd and see if it has any effect.

However it could be this error is being generated through a variety of errors, best case scenario it's a faulty cable, worst case it's a faulty drive or dying mobo.