House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
flatnose

Cgt Letter To Mp

OK...in another threat on CGT I found a form letter written by a HPC luminary and sent it online to my MP. I did a search but could not find the original post hence this one.

I wrote:

Dear Tim Farron MP,

I am in support of the government's proposed substantial increases in CGT.

Property speculation in the form of BTL, multiple home ownership, and

flipping have led to the financial crisis we find ourselves in (See most

recent edition of TIME magazine as to how property speculation and inflation

in house prices has caused the global collapse of banks and economies). Many

cannot afford to buy due to the speculators and multiple home owners who are

removing much needed housing supply from the market. The tax breaks Brown

gave to this unproductive sector of the economy was to fulfil his dream of

no more boom and bust but only boom. Our economy was to be driven by never

ending house price inflation to allow homes to become ATM machines by which

to provide money to buy other items to keep the entire economy going. It

never had any prospects for success and formed a property bubble which

remains extant. Price must be allowed to return to affordable levels which

is based on a multiple of 2.5 to 3 times average earnings and not 5 times

where we are today. CGT will discourage property speculators and multiple

home owners and it should be implemented in full.

Yours sincerely,

Glyn Harris

His reply:

Dear Glyn

Thank you very much for your recent email with regard to the changes to Capital Gains Tax.

You will probably not be surprised to know that I have received countless ‘cris de coeur’ from the many local residents who will be adversely affected by the proposals. So I am delighted that you should have taken the time and trouble to redress this balance. I know that Vince Cable put an enormous amount of work into the planning and preparation of this aspect of our fairness agenda and I expect it to be carefully implemented in the months ahead.

With best wishes

Yours sincerely

TIM FARRON MP

OK...in another threat on CGT I found a form letter written by a HPC luminary and sent it online to my MP. I did a search but could not find the original post hence this one.

I wrote:

Dear Tim Farron MP,

I am in support of the government's proposed substantial increases in CGT.

Property speculation in the form of BTL, multiple home ownership, and

flipping have led to the financial crisis we find ourselves in (See most

recent edition of TIME magazine as to how property speculation and inflation

in house prices has caused the global collapse of banks and economies). Many

cannot afford to buy due to the speculators and multiple home owners who are

removing much needed housing supply from the market. The tax breaks Brown

gave to this unproductive sector of the economy was to fulfil his dream of

no more boom and bust but only boom. Our economy was to be driven by never

ending house price inflation to allow homes to become ATM machines by which

to provide money to buy other items to keep the entire economy going. It

never had any prospects for success and formed a property bubble which

remains extant. Price must be allowed to return to affordable levels which

is based on a multiple of 2.5 to 3 times average earnings and not 5 times

where we are today. CGT will discourage property speculators and multiple

home owners and it should be implemented in full.

Yours sincerely,

Glyn Harris

His reply:

Dear Glyn

Thank you very much for your recent email with regard to the changes to Capital Gains Tax.

You will probably not be surprised to know that I have received countless ‘cris de coeur’ from the many local residents who will be adversely affected by the proposals. So I am delighted that you should have taken the time and trouble to redress this balance. I know that Vince Cable put an enormous amount of work into the planning and preparation of this aspect of our fairness agenda and I expect it to be carefully implemented in the months ahead.

With best wishes

Yours sincerely

TIMMY FARRON MP

I couldn't have stated it better myself. ;)

In other words we will defer to the needs of BTLers and multiple home greed merchants and be very careful about increasing taxes on them. There were, after all, 1700 signatures opposing any increase in CGT that might impact house prices adversely. The majority must be listened to.

Edited by Realistbear

In other words we will defer to the needs of BTLers and multiple home greed merchants and be very careful about increasing taxes on them. There were, after all, 1700 signatures opposing any increase in CGT that might impact house prices adversely. The majority must be listened to.

Heh...I guess I am an optimist rather than a realist! :D

http://uk.finance.ya...5ae3d4.html?x=0

More than 17,000 readers of The Daily Telegraph have signed a petition urging George Osborne, the Chancellor, to scrap plans to increase the capital gains tax rate.

Vicars, former members of RAF Bomber Command, teachers and doctors have all written to us expressing their dismay at the proposed changes. Many are lifelong Conservative supporters, who have threatened never to vote for the party again if the changes go ahead in next week's emergency Budget....../

One letter, from an M Anderson, in Bath, reads: "I am a widow aged 90 with a single woman's state pension but no other pensions. My savings are mostly in shares I would suffer greatly if the CGT were to be increased.'' *

To read the article you would think that 17,000 was somehow representative of the more than 60 million people that live in this house-price bubbleland. No mention of the ones who really do not want CGT raised: BTLers and multiple homeowners.

Don't you mean 17,000 RB? you posted it yourself the other day!

http://uk.finance.ya...5ae3d4.html?x=0

More than 17,000 readers of The Daily Telegraph have signed a petition urging George Osborne, the Chancellor, to scrap plans to increase the capital gains tax rate.

Vicars, former members of RAF Bomber Command, teachers and doctors have all written to us expressing their dismay at the proposed changes. Many are lifelong Conservative supporters, who have threatened never to vote for the party again if the changes go ahead in next week's emergency Budget....../

One letter, from an M Anderson, in Bath, reads: "I am a widow aged 90 with a single woman's state pension but no other pensions. My savings are mostly in shares I would suffer greatly if the CGT were to be increased.'' *

To read the article you would think that 17,000 was somehow representative of the more than 60 million people that live in this house-price bubbleland. No mention of the ones who really do not want CGT raised: BTLers and multiple homeowners.

Don't you mean 17,000 RB? you posted it yourself the other day!

trouble is, 17,000 people thinking they were about to lose a few bob put pen to paper, phone to ear and email to send.

probably no-one not affected did more than say...well done the government...if they had any thought at all.

trouble is, 17,000 people thinking they were about to lose a few bob put pen to paper, phone to ear and email to send.

probably no-one not affected did more than say...well done the government...if they had any thought at all.

A few letters won't make a difference. We had the election last month so they are safe for five years, and the country needs to be drip fed money for years to come, so this will definately go ahead. They can't keep putting off raising cash when a few well off decide they don't like the idea.

A few letters won't make a difference. We had the election last month so they are safe for five years, and the country needs to be drip fed money for years to come, so this will definately go ahead. They can't keep putting off raising cash when a few well off decide they don't like the idea.

you assume this lot have gonads.

You could write a pro-CGT letter - there are plenty of suggestions for text in the 'Lobby your MP today' thread which is pinned in the 'house prices' forum. Anyone who really believes in getting some support for FTBs would write to their MP / chancellor / Vibce Cable etc etc to try and get this CGT thing through.