House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brave New World

Long Range Forecasts

Anyone know of a good long range (2 weeks) online weather forecast? They all seem so patchy and i know that given that the met office struggle with a couple of days looking at next weekend might be an ask! I am getting hitched and just wanted to see what it might be but a lot are very conflicting. But then i suppose i can’t change the weather so it will be what it will be!

I know when we had a cold snap an HPC’er had a link to a german site that was pretty bob on?

Cheers for any help!

Guest Noodle

Anyone know of a good long range (2 weeks) online weather forecast? They all seem so patchy and i know that given that the met office struggle with a couple of days looking at next weekend might be an ask! I am getting hitched and just wanted to see what it might be but a lot are very conflicting. But then i suppose i can’t change the weather so it will be what it will be!

I know when we had a cold snap an HPC’er had a link to a german site that was pretty bob on?

Cheers for any help!

Weather, but often a bit dodgy

Generally tomorrow will be like today's weather.

But watch what's happening in east coast of america around new york sort of direction - their weather takes about two weeks to get here (works for snow most of the time apparently)

Cheers for any help!

Well, if we had a vastly increased set of weather monitoring stations, including some spread throughout the atmosphere globally, and linked every single computer ever made into a vast parallel processing network to utilise this data.. than you might have a slightly improved 2 week forecast.

Cheers for any help!

No can do I'm afraid

Read up on chaos theory - too many unknown variables

A butterfly farts in Bolivia and "BOOM" before you know it Billericay gets hit with a force 9 cyclone.

Or something like that.

Seriously, the last I read, they can only go 7 days (very, very max), and that's pushing it. The further you go, the less certain.

Best forecast is the Irish weather forecast. "If it's sunny where you are, it will soon be raining. And if it's raining where you are it'll soon be sunny."

Guest happy?

Anyone know of a good long range (2 weeks) online weather forecast? They all seem so patchy and i know that given that the met office struggle with a couple of days looking at next weekend might be an ask! I am getting hitched and just wanted to see what it might be but a lot are very conflicting. But then i suppose i can't change the weather so it will be what it will be!

I know when we had a cold snap an HPC'er had a link to a german site that was pretty bob on?

Cheers for any help!

They postponed the D-Day landings with less than 12 hours notice because they couldn't be certain of the weather - how the hell do you think anyone can tell what the weather's going to be like a fortnight hence?

You could try looking at the air-pressure charts which the met-office publish - most of the other sites quoted use these.

This German site gathers data from many sources; it was used a lot in the Off Topic Big Freeze thread:

Temperature 9 Days Out: LINK

"Control Panel" - LINK

<blink>** WARNING ** 1990s layout may hurt your eyes.</blink>

Guest anorthosite

They postponed the D-Day landings with less than 12 hours notice because they couldn't be certain of the weather - how the hell do you think anyone can tell what the weather's going to be like a fortnight hence?

Technology's come a little bit further on since then. There are also no u-boats sinking meteorological ships.

No can do I'm afraid

Read up on chaos theory - too many unknown variables

A butterfly farts in Bolivia and "BOOM" before you know it Billericay gets hit with a force 9 cyclone.

Or something like that.

Seriously, the last I read, they can only go 7 days (very, very max), and that's pushing it. The further you go, the less certain.

Best forecast is the Irish weather forecast. "If it's sunny where you are, it will soon be raining. And if it's raining where you are it'll soon be sunny."

Like the Lake District. If you can see Sty Head tarn, it's going to rain. If you can't see it, it is raining.

Absolutely true about Chaos theory. It rules any complex system with feedbacks, including meteorology and economics, although practitioners of both arts deny it.

Cheers for any help!

When I used to go out on the ocean regularly, and had to plan a week or so ahead, I found that the European Centre for Medium Range Forecasts were the most reliable for isobar maps and wind speeds, etc.

http://www.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/d/charts/medium/deterministic/msl_uv850_z500

They don't do happy sunny faces etc., but depending what information you want (I wanted wind direction and strength) I found them to be consistently better than any other source.

I say - let's do it!

Hell, if we transformed the entire mass of the sun into a computer ands monitored the atmosphere down to the cubic centimeter level we could probably get over 90% accuracy 2 weeks out.. ('Totally Frozen Solid. Again.")