House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

40,000 Work In The Public Sector In Swansea

BBC Wales lunchtime news is headlining with Wales 'bracing itself for spending cuts' and the newsreader started off by saying "We all know the spending cuts are coming..." which is not the impression I get from my public sector friends...

...in fact, was having a conversation about that this morning but that is another story.

Anyhow, the BBC then cut to a live OB (outside broadcast) from a school in Swansea and the journo is talking to some boy and the journo says that - this even shocked me - 40,000 people work in the public sector in Swansea and that Swansea has the highest number of people working in the public sector in Wales....

...which is saying a lot.

40,000!

Anyhow, the BBC then cut to a live OB (outside broadcast) from a school in Swansea and the journo is talking to some boy and the journo says that - this even shocked me - 40,000 people work in are paid by the public sector in Swansea and that Swansea has the highest number of people working in the public sector in Wales.......which is saying a lot. 40,000!

Fixed for you, old bean.

PS: The DVLA's in Swansea.

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif Which is twice as much as the entire population! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

and they're all queuing up in front of you to push up house prices, the devils

The figure in itself doesn't tell us an awful lot. How significant it is or isn't depends on:

1. Are these actual public sector jobs, or does this figure include people actually employed by private sector companies, but whose jobs are dependant on the public one (i.e. the taxpayer is the company's only or main customer)?

2. What is the proportion to public and dependant on public sector to purely private sector jobs in Swansea as a whole?

3. Is the presence of the DVLA in Swansea skewing the figures?

TMT could you kindly ask someone from the DVLA to hurry the ****** up and issue me with a new driving licence photo card as the last one 'expired' in April and the dickwads at the DVLA haven't yet sent me a replacement. They cashed the cheque at the beginning of May. :angry:

Thanks

How many private sector jobs are dependent on the public sector.

How many sandwich / coffee shops will survive a large culling of public sector workers.

Clearly the number of public sector workers is unsustainable but the cuts will have an effect on the private sector. Are there many private industries in Swansea that could pick up the redundant public sector workers?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/7832407/Unemployment-public-sector-feels-the-pain-as-jobless-hits-2.47m.html

.../

But for the first time in two years, the number of people employed in the public sector fell, suggesting that the long-feared public spending cuts have already started to bite in some areas. Private sector employment, meanwhile, increased.
A total of 7,000 jobs were lost in the public sector to take the number of employees to 6.09 million. Most of the cuts came from local authorities, which axed 4,000 jobs. Jobs were also lost among social workers, public sector construction and teachers.

The big cull of government "jobs" appears to have begun.

BBC Wales had a large part of their programme about this tonight. Looking at the job cuts, where they will come, what effect on Wales and also how the private sector who work for the public sector will be affected.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00ssn1l/BBC_Wales_Today_16_06_2010/

More public sector workers in Swansea than anyone else in the UK.

It's ok. HSBC are advertising on facebook for a sales representative on 13k a year. Problem over.

HSBC in swansea is a 24hr operation so lots of employees work shifts and get a 35% shift allowance on top.

so 13k becomes 17.5k, 16k becomes 21.5k and 20k becomes 27k.

plus cheap morgages, free bupa, 6 weeks paid holiday, etc

virgin atlantic employees get free flights.

BBC Radio Wales leading with this again this morning big time...

Mentioned it would be terrible for house prices... terrible for the construction industry in Wales... pointed out that spending under Thatcher actually increased year on year but now they are talking about 16% cuts over the next 3 years...

Apparently there has been a 720% increase in Architects in Wales signing on for job seekers' allowance.

Mentioned an article in The Times over the weekend looking at house prices in North Wales and the commentator pointed out that 13,500 people are employed by Denbigshire Council so what then for house prices in the area.

A friend of mine watched the BBC Wales News report on the iplayer last night and was not surprised as he felt Wales never really recovered from the 80s and was in one public sector bubble... but said it was frightening to see things laid out in black and white.

40,000!

So by my calculations Swansea has c.130,000 adults of working age 16-65. If 8.6% are unemployed (Wales national average) then that leaves c.118,000 in employment.

.....more than one in THREE people are employed in the public sector in Swansea!?!?

:blink:

So by my calculations Swansea has c.130,000 adults of working age 16-65. If 8.6% are unemployed (Wales national average) then that leaves c.118,000 in employment.

.....more than one in THREE people are employed in the public sector in Swansea!?!?

:blink:

Of my personal friends I only know 2 people who work in the private sector.

"Swansea Council facing shortfall of 50 to 60 million pounds"...

"Biggest cost is workers"...

"It is going to be painful"... some local govt chap talking on the radio now.

Job cuts for the next 5 years.

There is a big conference in Wales today of all the local Councils to discuss the coming cuts.

The biggest indicator of sheer unreality on that BBC programme was the cystic fibrosis sufferer who complained that if free prescriptions were ended, she'd have to spend £90 a year on medicines.

£90 a year? I bet she spends more than that a month on booze! I'd be interested to see her reaction if she was told what the drugs actually cost, or how she'd be expected to pay for them if she was an American...

I'm sorry, but the idea that expecting someone to spend £90 a year on their personal healthcare is an outrageous human rights abuse really does illustrate the extent to which Labour's client state mentality has gripped their electoral heartlands.

blink.gif

Why the surprise? huh.gif

Didn't you know that Labour stoked the boom with cheap credit and a Public Sector boom? That was their big plan.

As if by magic...

Job fears as DVLA faces cash inquiry

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/news/Job-fears-DVLA-faces-cash-inquiry/article-2317029-detail/article.html

DVLA staff fear job cuts could be on the horizon after the agency confirmed a review on spending.

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency in Morriston has revealed it has introduced a recruitment freeze, in line with other government departments, as the new coalition Government reviews its budgets.

It has also suspended its graduate scheme for 2010.

There were reports that newly recruited staff have been told they would not be able to start their roles.

south_wales_evening_post [image: south_wales_evening_post]

Thursday, June 17, 2010, 09:00

Comment on this story

Bookmark with (what is social media?)

* Facebook

* Digg

* Reddit

* Delicious

* StumbleUpon

Job fears as DVLA faces cash inquiry

DVLA staff fear job cuts could be on the horizon after the agency confirmed a review on spending.

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency in Morriston has revealed it has introduced a recruitment freeze, in line with other government departments, as the new coalition Government reviews its budgets.

It has also suspended its graduate scheme for 2010.

There were reports that newly recruited staff have been told they would not be able to start their roles.

However, the agency said that all job offers prior to the recruitment freeze have been honoured and that the budget review had no noticeable effect on operations.

But the Public and Commercial Services Union says it is wary over the prospect of job cuts at the agency, which employs almost 5,200 people.

Swansea branch organiser Roger Langley said: "Everybody is reviewing budgets, but we do have concerns, which began before the general election.

"We were worried the Conservatives are looking to make cuts down in Wales, and they have not announced anything hopeful.

"Here in Swansea the DVLA is one of the largest employers, and when there are to be cuts, the Department of Transport is likely to consider whether to make the biggest cuts here.