House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest_FaFa!_*

The Roles Of Their Lives: Chinese Actors Play North Korean Football Fans

When North Korea faced heavyweight Brazil in the World Cup yesterday, there were around a hundred North Korean fans in the stadium, cheering on the solitary nation and World Cup underdog. The spectacle -- all those proud, happy faces waving DPRK flags, dressed in red and white -- even brought North Korean star striker Jong Tae Se to tears during the national anthem. The fans were confident that North Korea would score on Brazil at least twice before halftime (it ended 2-1 for Brazil), and expressed support for South Korea.

It's a shame that those fans weren't actually North Korean. The almost touching displays of North Korean patriotism were in fact put on by Chinese actors, ahem, "volunteers." Hired by the China Sports Events Management Group and the North Korean Sports Committee, the actors were brought in because few people in North Korea could afford both the airfare and the game ticket, much less obtain a visa to leave the country, and the Chinese team didn't make it to the tournament. And because in world competitions, "Chinese fans will stand for Asia teams," China promised North Korea the fans to boost morale.

Oddly, though, the volunteers still told press that they were part of a group of North Korean fans hand-picked by the DPRK government to represent the country, even though China had already admitted twice (here and here) that they were flying actors in. Sure, the whole thing's a little morally dubious (and impractical. Couldn't they have cheered on North Korea and stayed Chinese?), but isn't this a sweet little tale of football camaraderie? Look how it's bringing nations together!

http://shanghaiist.com/2010/06/16/north_korean_fans_are_actually_chin.php

The commentator mentioned speculation about this on the game last night. He also mentioned that the game would only be screened in the capital Pyongyang if they won it. Maybe they will just edit the two brazilian goals from the footage and call it a 1-0 victory to North Korea.

Guest theboltonfury

The commentator mentioned speculation about this on the game last night. He also mentioned that the game would only be screened in the capital Pyongyang if they won it. Maybe they will just edit the two brazilian goals from the footage and call it a 1-0 victory to North Korea.

I think that is an incredibly likely outcome.

Shi't! I feel incredibly sad for the north Korean people.

I've never felt so gratefull for the freedom our leaders grant us. /irony

Guest theboltonfury

I was impressed by North Korea's defence: controlled and oppressive.

And slightly mal-nourished.

If they keep doing this, though, how will they explain not winning the World Cup? They'll have to make a replica papier-mache World Cup to take home with them.

well at least we know brown and mandelson have found gainful employment after the election.

it's about their level of lies perception management.

If the North Koreans came to the World Cup intent on making a political statement then I would be the first to denounce them. However, all I've seen them do is play (surprisingly good) football. For this reason I think it is disappointing that most commentators have peppered their coverage with continual, references to North Korean politics. This is not a justification for the odious North Korean government, but simply irritation at them being singled out. I for one prefer my sport without the football pundits speculating wildly about North Asian geopolitics when they probably couldn't even locate the region on a map.

If the North Koreans came to the World Cup intent on making a political statement then I would be the first to denounce them. However, all I've seen them do is play (surprisingly good) football. For this reason I think it is disappointing that most commentators have peppered their coverage with continual, references to North Korean politics. This is not a justification for the odious North Korean government, but simply irritation at them being singled out. I for one prefer my sport without the football pundits speculating wildly about North Asian geopolitics when they probably couldn't even locate the region on a map.

Agree with that. 'There is a lot of disinformation about North Korea, they are very secretive' said the ITV commentator proudly (the proper one, not Chris Coleman - I couldn't make out wtf he was saying, was he speaking Korean?).

No shit, maybe they don't like outsiders and they don't want to be part of a world run on Team USA lines.

They have qualified to get to the World Cup on merit.

Their fans need rebranding - can't we sell them a plastic one note trumpet to play all day long? They will be so happy, being hungry won't matter, and the all the world will like them.