House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pl1

Body Resistance Excercise Machines

I'm about to embark on a weight gain program which will obviously include weight training. However, practically and also financially it will be difficult to get to a fully equipped weights room and I don't have room really for a bench or set of dumbells. I remember seeing some adfomercial some time ago about foldable gym machines that use your own body weight/gears for resistance. Has anyone used them? Are they any good? Also are they safe? From past experience I know my strength will improve quickly so it needs to be able to offer serious resistance.

Or any other ideas on ultra-portable muscle building on the cheap?

Despite its crazy, left-field source, this is quite inspiring for a totally stripped down muscle building regime (able to be carried out in a solitary confinement cell with no equipment).

Solitary Fitness; Charles Bronson

It certainly seems to have worked for him.

That was pretty left of centre but the reviews look quite good. Cheers.

Any others?

Despite its crazy, left-field source, this is quite inspiring for a totally stripped down muscle building regime (able to be carried out in a solitary confinement cell with no equipment).

Solitary Fitness; Charles Bronson

It certainly seems to have worked for him.

Thats more my approach and I think how Tom Hardy beefed up in order to play Bronson in the film. Think anyone can keep fit with plenty of press ups, chin up, squats and lunges, and you can do them in your underpants, anytime in your bedroom. Lot to be said for own body weight training with additional help from free weights and kettlebells.

However for serious weight training I'd be tempted to resubscribe to a gym, for health and safety more than anything else (wouldn't want to be found dead under a bar bell). Also wouldn't have room for the kit.

Thats more my approach and I think how Tom Hardy beefed up in order to play Bronson in the film. Think anyone can keep fit with plenty of press ups, chin up, squats and lunges, and you can do them in your underpants, anytime in your bedroom. Lot to be said for own body weight training with additional help from free weights and kettlebells.

However for serious weight training I'd be tempted to resubscribe to a gym, for health and safety more than anything else (wouldn't want to be found dead under a bar bell). Also wouldn't have room for the kit.

I'm away a fair bit so a gym is impractical and they really are quite expensive. Problem I have with press ups is that you soon are able to do loads. Keeps you fit for sure, but you need to keep adding resistance to add size which is what I want.

Maybe if there isn't one, someone could Dragons Den it and invent one. I'd buy it, if it was any good.

I'm away a fair bit so a gym is impractical and they really are quite expensive. Problem I have with press ups is that you soon are able to do loads. Keeps you fit for sure, but you need to keep adding resistance to add size which is what I want.

Maybe if there isn't one, someone could Dragons Den it and invent one. I'd buy it, if it was any good.

yes thats what I'm finding with the pressups, so can do loads, so now having to put weights in rucksacks and so on and having to organise planks for inclines and stuff so it gets messy. But I have no room for a home gym, though I thought of building a small frame to hold weights and hang chains (for dips and stuff). But other than that I've no room for a full "home gym." I'm about to squeeze in a spare road bike attached to a Mag Trainer for indoor cycle training though.

With press ups, raise the level of your feet, and do perfect form (back straight etc), get extra depth by press-ups between two chairs - still with your feet raised (on a chest of drawers say). Then do hand's touching press-ups, hands wide press-ups, single hand and military press ups, clap press ups, snake press-ups, I know one guy who could clap three times between a press-up (he did fight for the world welterweight title twice though :ph34r: ). Just vary it, isolating and exhausting different muscles - variety and all that

One way Bronson deals with that is handstand press ups.

(Then one-handed press ups, then one-handed handstand press ups, I presume. :blink: )

yes there are many variations, including clapping your hands when off the ground!

If you want to see how hard just your body weight can make it with just minimal equipment, look at this guy:

His is just about the most impressive display of strength I've ever seen.

Very impressive. Minimal equipment just some bars. I've amazed at how effective squats are (with the help of free weights or a kettlebell) compared to say a huge and expensive leg press machine.

I'm about to embark on a weight gain program which will obviously include weight training. However, practically and also financially it will be difficult to get to a fully equipped weights room and I don't have room really for a bench or set of dumbells. I remember seeing some adfomercial some time ago about foldable gym machines that use your own body weight/gears for resistance. Has anyone used them? Are they any good? Also are they safe? From past experience I know my strength will improve quickly so it needs to be able to offer serious resistance.

Or any other ideas on ultra-portable muscle building on the cheap?

it's hard to imagine a machine taking up less space than a couple of sets of dumbbells. add in a door-jam chinning bar and you can do a lot with just those.

How about the one that a certain Chuck Norris uses ? You can hardly go wrong.

Total Gym.

chuck-totalgym.jpg

I signed up with the http://www.thegymgroup.com/ £15 a month and 24 hour access which isn't much.

Not sure how much you can build using your own body weight because nothing points to it working after a month or so

and bodyweight will most likely be falling as muscle gain is very low weight gain and fat loss is very high weight loss.

Perhaps the most unusual chapter is on the solitary organ- how to improve sexual stamina, strength and health of the organ in question! Possible a great confidence booster to those searching for more length, girth and performance!Throw away all those gimmicks, apparently all you need is a heavy towell!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solitary-Fitness-Charles-Bronson/dp/1844543099

Hmmm....

Space wise, I have very limited room to exercise in. So I just have two dumbells stored under the bed. A lot of my exercises use my own body weight.

I do think that using equipment can make exercise more interesting though. Using your own body weight can get a tad dull ;)

If you don't even have room for dumbells, then you need get out there and buy a house. j/k

If you don't even have room for dumbells, then you need get out there and buy a house.

Good point. I'm sure most on here would agree.

google ross enamait and look at his books and training manuals. Infinite intensity is very good as is never gymless

I'm going for the foldaway bench, set of decent dumbells route. I'm buying this one from Argos. I can go to a gym once a week to do legs once dumbell squats become impractical.

As mentioned I'm sometimes away a lot which affects the diet, short of starting a new thread, any tips on eating healthy, calories while away from home? Biggest issue is no fridge in hotel room, unless I buy minifridge and lug it in. Obviously I have maltodextrin drinks. But can anyone suggest anything else if they've been in a similiar situation?

I'm going for the foldaway bench, set of decent dumbells route. I'm buying this one from Argos. I can go to a gym once a week to do legs once dumbell squats become impractical.

I nearly bought that, but bought this instead...

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9237472.htm

The only real difference is the Arm Curl attachment. The bench is pretty stable and folds away well.