House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

57percent

Nhs Rant

Is it just me, or is the NHS a total waste of time?

People keep telling me how great it is, but my personal experience is always poor.

On this occasion, I just wanted a form signing (cycling race). Called and faxed the form

weeks ago. Chased loads of times and eventually told the doctor can see me, but only

after the race!!! and it'll cost me £25, paid direct to the doctor!.

As I was told, I've only been there twice in 10 years and on both occasions waited more

than a week for an appointment.

A mate who hadn't visited his GP for 15 years couldn't get a referral for a knee that's stopping

him working.

And as for the conditions in the hospital my mum had her hip done.

..... and we're spending how much on this?

People keep telling me how great it is, but my personal experience is always poor.

On this occasion, I just wanted a form signing (cycling race). Called and faxed the form

weeks ago. Chased loads of times and eventually told the doctor can see me, but only

after the race!!! and it'll cost me £25, paid direct to the doctor!.

As I was told, I've only been there twice in 10 years and on both occasions waited more

than a week for an appointment.

A mate who hadn't visited his GP for 15 years couldn't get a referral for a knee that's stopping

him working.

And as for the conditions in the hospital my mum had her hip done.

I think it may just be you, and possibly a few others. After all by your own admission "people keep telling me how great it is". I have seen some things that could be better, but without question I give it a big thumbs up overall. No way I'd countenance doing without it.

An admin fee for something that is non-medical is perfectly normal, and would not be the GP's priority.

Its not just you.

Still better than nothing - I just dont see how liebour can justify tripling health spending with such neglible results. Admittedly there are lots of nice shiny new buildings, just not much going on in them.

GP's aren't NHS employees as you normally think of it. They sell their services to the NHS I believe, hence the enormous salaries at taxypayer expense.

DYIV rarely comments on such matters but may do since he's about to go and earn squillions in Australia :-)

I think it may just be you, and possibly a few others. After all by your own admission "people keep telling me how great it is". I have seen some things that could be better, but without question I give it a big thumbs up overall. No way I'd countenance doing without it.

An admin fee for something that is non-medical is perfectly normal, and would not be the GP's priority.

I couldn't get a GP appointment the one and only time in my life I've had a genuine medical emergency. I deeply resent paying for that level of non-service.

Guest Noodle

GP's aren't NHS employees as you normally think of it. They sell their services to the NHS I believe, hence the enormous salaries at taxypayer expense.

DYIV rarely comments on such matters but may do since he's about to go and earn squillions in Australia :-)

In fairness, I used to make more than DYIV and all I did was clean mud.

This GP salary thing is a bit of a Daily Mail myth.

I did some IT work a few years ago looking at modernising the Welsh NHS. I visited numerous Welsh NHS Trusts and the one thing that struck me that was common was how much GPs were loathed - hated was not too strong a word.

For an outsider it was quite a shock to pick up on this.

In fairness, I used to make more than DYIV and all I did was clean mud.

This GP salary thing is a bit of a Daily Mail myth.

I came across a site a few weeks back - kind of medical portal, can't remember what it was called - and on the right hand side there was a scrolling java thing with various GP and hospital doctor posts advertised both here in the UK and in Oz.

My jaw hit the floor.

Guest Noodle

I came across a site a few weeks back - kind of medical portal, can't remember what it was called - and on the right hand side there was a scrolling java thing with various GP and hospital doctor posts advertised both here in the UK and in Oz.

My jaw hit the floor.

How much?

How much?

Six figures... I saw a few 120Ks, recall a 137K one, think a few were in the 150s - IIRC there was a 157K.

Darn, I wish I had ket the url... I was googling news stories on Vitamin D, clicked on a link and ended up there, read the article and then glanced at the doc job adverts.

That means you haven't had anything serious or interesting, be happy about it.

The NHS is great in an emergency, piss poor for preventative measures or non-life threatening illness. Or if it's unusual enough that there is research money going around or the staff are just plain curious about it you'll get attention. It's all to do with rationing services based on "medical need" which is fair enough but i just wish they would be more open and honest about it and tell people "we can't afford it, but i do recommend you get it done if you can afford to go private" Naturally it is not their policy to admit they are anything less than what is needed. Anyone you find who is raving about the NHS ask them what they were seen for and 10/10 their arm was torn off in a machine and needed to be sewn back on or something equally undelayable.

Form filling is down the corridor, through the double doors, follow the signs for the car park and feck off you time waster :P

Guest Noodle

Six figures... I saw a few 120Ks, recall a 137K one, think a few were in the 150s - IIRC there was a 157K.

Darn, I wish I had ket the url... I was googling news stories on Vitamin D, clicked on a link and ended up there, read the article and then glanced at the doc job adverts.

Not that much then.

Guest Noodle

I wouldn't do that job for that much

Used to clean mud for that much. Sorry. Talk about and arrange and oversee and verify the cleaning of mud.

Hardly life saving stuff.

Used to clean mud for that much. Sorry. Talk about and arrange and oversee and verify the cleaning of mud.

Sounds much better, not impossible and not thankless

Exposing yourself to **** knows what chemicals and radioactivity in the process? Don't denigrate yourself Noodle.

Guest Noodle

Exposing yourself to **** knows what chemicals and radioactivity in the process? Don't denigrate yourself Noodle.

Nah . . . well . . . I had a nasty habit of sniffing mud samples for the first 5 years.

I smoke a pack a day so I can't complain.

Guest Noodle

Sounds much better, not impossible and not thankless

Pretty dull. Fraught with ********.

Nah . . . well . . . I had a nasty habit of sniffing mud samples for the first 5 years.

I smoke a pack a day so I can't complain.

Ha. Think I'll get back to work, wasting time on here arguing about the broken education and health "services" is pointless.

Guest Noodle

Ha. Think I'll get back to work, wasting time on here arguing about the broken education and health "services" is pointless.

It is.

It's also 3am here I think.

A billion quid every three days.

And yet people insist that a fully state owned and operated monolith is the best way to organise healthcare. The NHS needs to die and be broken up soon.

My recent experience of GPs is that its more of a private club than anything else. Caused what appeared to be deep resentment by not understanding the ways of my local surgery the time I turned up. Can you believe I actually tried to check in with the receptionist at the point marked "check in here" (no, you use the computer in the alcove that was on screensaver and otherwise unlabelled)? Or that I waited in the waiting room? (patients of Dr Whoever... which is the first time I'd ever heard the name... use the other waiting room, there were directions but they were just to numbered rooms). But don't get cocky: to get to the other waiting room you go down the corridor that isn't labelled at all and use the lift to go to the 3rd (not 1st or 3rd or 4th) floors? I think there is some sort of pareto thing going on, the people they are used to seeing are used to being there kind of thing. Does medicine have a pareto-esque distribution?

My recent experience of GPs ...

Sounds like a case for a management consultant to sort out. :P

What's the waiting list for an MRI scan, for example, on the NHS?

The NHS isn't even that great in an emergency.

Sorry i should have qualified that by saying "compared to what else exists in the world"

If it was a genuine medical emergency then surely you could have gone to A&E or the minor injuries unit - I realise it may be a bit out of the way but they're there for medical emergencies.

Up to a point. Not that I'd know where to go for any of those things.

The emergency in question wasn't a 'bleeding to death' kind of case that would merit an A&E visit. Rather it was my eyesight, that deteriorated very rapidly: 48 hours from fairly-normal to a point where I couldn't read a book, all my lights had suddenly gone very dim, and I was bumping into people on the pavement.

Given the speed of that, I considered it an emergency, and tried to get an appointment with the quack. They couldn't give me an appointment for a full two weeks! A bit more research found there's an eye hospital in Plymouth (not that I could have found my way there in my condition at the time), but they wanted a GP referral.