House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yellerkat

The Times Starts Switching Off

Shall miss Clarkson and Parris and errr......nope that's it. Sorry chaps.

Cheery-oh Rupert. The only thing I ever bought off you were your shares in BSkyB. Nice to see you want to buy them back at a premium. I'll think about it.

I try and avoid paying Murdoch anything.

I probably do contribute to his wealth somehow, but not, I hope, voluntarily.

It's the great capitalist choice Rupert, [1] take it or [2] leave it.

It'll be interesting to see what happens though.

And nothing of value was lost. The Times has been awful in recent years. I miss "the old Times" but it ain't coming back even from behind a paywall. Actually, I also miss the Telegraph, I used to take it until they went collectively mad; I guess many a spit-flecked red faced right-wingist feels its improved, but its all gone a bit Fox News for my tastes. I don't know if Opposition was good for the Tories but for a while it was very good for their newspaper of choice. Yes, me, subscribing to the Telegraph, politics aside I like good journalism.

And nothing of value was lost. The Times has been awful in recent years. I miss "the old Times" but it ain't coming back even from behind a paywall. Actually, I also miss the Telegraph, I used to take it until they went collectively mad; I guess many a spit-flecked red faced right-wingist feels its improved, but its all gone a bit Fox News for my tastes. I don't know if Opposition was good for the Tories but for a while it was very good for their newspaper of choice. Yes, me, subscribing to the Telegraph, politics aside I like good journalism.

:lol:

Maybe you're just getting older!

It's always been a bit tabloid as I recall, but now it's worse, I can't stand it any more. Struggle with any of the papers now, the Indy has gone downhill as well. I guess revenue pressure is affecting quality a bit.

Two of the most important cornerstones of British democracy have been corrupted during my lifetime, the country is not the better for it. (BBC and the Times)

Guest sillybear2

I always liked The Times, not for the content but the simple fact its mere existence costs Murdoch £250k a day in losses.

Guest sillybear2

Shall miss Clarkson and Parris and errr......nope that's it. Sorry chaps.

No more Anatole Kaletsky or that wretched BTL woman, whatever she's called.

No more Anatole Kaletsky or that wretched BTL woman, whatever she's called.

It just gets better and better. I have a masochistic compulsion to read some of these websites which I think is very much like the pleasure to be had from picking a scab. Being denied access may turn out to be a great boon. I'm sure it'll do wonders for my mental health.

It just gets better and better. I have a masochistic compulsion to read some of these websites which I think is very much like the pleasure to be had from picking a scab. Being denied access may turn out to be a great boon. I'm sure it'll do wonders for my mental health.

That is a very good point.

Guest sillybear2

Hehe, I've subscribed.

Much like Wendi Deng, congratulations, you've just been f****d by an octogenarian.

Cut and paste them on here?

(Just kidding aussie lawyers. I'll read them in Tescos.)

well no money has changed hands. I've got a login and getting free access for a while.

My thinking was to stop buying papers altogether and read everything online. And in any case my Acer Netbook is lighter than the Sunday Times.

However I've been spending a lot less time online these days, and got into reading books and mags again, in order to "defog" my scrambled brain whch can't concentrate on anything for more than a few minutes.

So it might be retro step.

I'm actually thinking of getting an allotment with a shed half an hour from my place, just so I can go there every afternoon and have no possible access to PC, TV or 'phone.

Think you are spot on and I'm thinking of doing the same. I've been clearing out my storage container. OK no power or kettle but found it good therapy. Sifting through the crap, organising, taking stuff to the tip. But yes a little shed. My cousin has a shed/allotment/chickens with wood stove. But I wonder how long it would be before the netbook sneaks in, if I had this.

I often buy the (physical) Sunday Times and the FT, but I might not buy those, as I don't want to contribute to his fighting fund.

FT is part of Pearson. Nothing to do with the Murdoch empire.

If you can't be ar 5ed to register right now, just use:

email: housepricecrash@mailinator.com

password: housepricecrash

So. Farewell then

Times Online

We used to love your

'Bricks Chicks'

but we would certainly never

Pay for it.

- E. J. Thribb (17)

..you`ll be reading that again on Friday... ;)

Guest sillybear2

This story about Murdoch and Pearson competing says it clearly never happened. It's like my whole world has undergone a funny seismic quantum shift. I no longer feel guilty buying the FT. :)

Yeah, the old dodger nabbed the WSJ instead because he wants to put the fork into the one grand paper he'll never own (NY Times).

This story about Murdoch and Pearson competing says it clearly never happened. It's like my whole world has undergone a funny seismic quantum shift. I no longer feel guilty buying the FT. :)

Pearson is a good company. They were good when I did contract work for them, and they (different branch of the company) did a good job of publishing my book. And they're a good dividend as well as a nice capital gain in my portfolio B)

Happy to say I have no contact with the Murdoch empire in any of those capacities. :P