House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oldsport

Carrots

Over the past couple of months I've been having big problems with carrots (which I usually get from Morrisons or Aldi)

Usually I've stored them in the garage where it's coolish and darkish and they've easily kept for a week at least without noticeably deteriorating

Recently, within two days some of them are going black and most go bendy

I've tried storing them with the bag slit or closed and have tried them in the fridge instead, but it's always the same

I'm wondering if there's a crop problem or whether they've made a change to carrots

Is anyone else noticing similar?

Guest happy?

Over the past couple of months I've been having big problems with carrots (which I usually get from Morrisons or Aldi)

Usually I've stored them in the garage where it's coolish and darkish and they've easily kept for a week at least without noticeably deteriorating

I've tried storing them with the bag slit or closed and have tried them in the fridge instead, but it's always the same

I'm wondering if there's a crop problem or whether they've made a change to carrots

They've probably been stored for months in a controlled environment - consequently when they come out of storage they don't last very long. Any carrots you see in the shops now are either imported or from long-term storage.

New carrots are appearing about now.

They've probably been stored for months in a controlled environment - consequently when they come out of storage they don't last very long. Any carrots you see in the shops now are either imported or from long-term storage.

New carrots are appearing about now.

thanks happy?, it's good to know the reason

Forzen carrots are better - most veg is better frozen as veg loses most of its nutrients within just a couple of hours of being picked.

Tests have shown that frozen boiled carrots have more nutrients and releae more nutrients than so-called 'fresh' ones.

Ughh. Frozen carrots are ghastly. Grow your own in containers and harvest as you need them. If you must store shop bought, cover them in compost or sand and put them in a cool dark place.

Forzen carrots are better - most veg is better frozen as veg loses most of its nutrients within just a couple of hours of being picked.

Tests have shown that frozen boiled carrots have more nutrients and releae more nutrients than so-called 'fresh' ones.

I agree, when they are not fresh they a far better frozen....peas as an example, how often do you see fresh peas in the shops, and how good are the frozen ones. ;)

I've noticed this. I buy from Morrissons and they either go black or start liquifying. I found they last longer in the string bag you get onions in.

I've noticed this. I buy from Morrissons and they either go black or start liquifying. I found they last longer in the string bag you get onions in.

The best place to store potatoes is cool dark places....dig a hole and cover them, could work for bendy carrots, :unsure: far better to cook them quickly and eat them.....carrot and coriander soup is nice. ;)

Depends what your definition of fresh is. You get fresh carrotts when you've grown your own and they've just come out of the ground. Supermarket ones can be anything but fresh. If you can't grow your own, the next best thing is frozen carrotts as they keep their nutrients better.

I agree, when they are not fresh they a far better frozen....peas as an example, how often do you see fresh peas in the shops, and how good are the frozen ones. ;)

me too

I once worked for the agency that gives the green light on what chemicals can be used on veg in the UK.

The one veg that nobody would eat (because of the chemicals used on them) was carrots.

The only ones I now eat are those grown by my dad.

Sorry not much use on the storage problem but useful information I feel.

Peas are in season right now: shelled a bunch for my evening meal last night. Delicious. But yes, when they're out of season, frozen ones are the best available. I rarely eat them out of season.

Wouldn't say the same for carrots though. Just get them in season and eat fresh, or use in things like soup or cake. Boiled - truly yuk!

I once worked for the agency that gives the green light on what chemicals can be used on veg in the UK.

The one veg that nobody would eat (because of the chemicals used on them) was carrots.

The only ones I now eat are those grown by my dad.

Sorry not much use on the storage problem but useful information I feel.

:o

I've always assumed the nasty chemicals are the reason we have to wash fruit & veg before eating them! Are carrots infused with something beyond surface depth?

Did your agency also deal with vegetables used in contaminated situations? Like, brussels sprouts being efficient at drawing heavy metals out of contaminated industrial land?

:o

I've always assumed the nasty chemicals are the reason we have to wash fruit & veg before eating them! Are carrots infused with something beyond surface depth?

Did your agency also deal with vegetables used in contaminated situations? Like, brussels sprouts being efficient at drawing heavy metals out of contaminated industrial land?

Talking of chemicals and fruit.

A couple of days ago I found an apple that looked perfectly fresh under a hedge in my front garden. When I rolled it over with my foot the part that was touching the ground was quite rotten. The rest remained firm and crunchy (to my foot I didn't taste)

Why is this relevant?

Well the apple in question was thrown there by me several MONTHS ago. Literally it would have been at least 3 months. Which raises two questions (to my mind):

1.) wtF was sprayed on that apple which prevented it being eaten by wildlife?

2.) wtF was sprayed on that apple so that much of it looked perfectly fresh and retained its structure?

That isn't normal. Is it?

1.) wtF was sprayed on that apple which prevented it being eaten by wildlife?

2.) wtF was sprayed on that apple so that much of it looked perfectly fresh and retained its structure?

Some apples - distressingly many these days - get coated in a thin layer of wax. Disgusting, but I think it's at least non-toxic.

But it's hard to see how that answers your question 1, if it was indeed the same apple.

Some apples - distressingly many these days - get coated in a thin layer of wax. Disgusting, but I think it's at least non-toxic.

But it's hard to see how that answers your question 1, if it was indeed the same apple.

My neighbour was having a few medical issues and her doctor after having established a few facts has advised her to remove the skin (not even washing was good enough) from apples bought from supermarkets before eating due to chemicals used on the things.

I must ask her if it did fix her problem.

Which is best for most nutrients and lack of added chemicals? Tinned or Frozen?

I think tinned carrots taste better than frozen but which is actually healthiest?

Last year I tried growing a load of my own veg. A lot of work but very satisfying, however the taste of carrots and peas I found a little odd to start with as they tasted very different to what you get from the shops (even from the grocers which is supposed to be 'fresh').

Is that coz they were truly fresh and not nuked with chemicals I wonder?

The spuds were some of the best i've ever tasted.

Didn't have time to do it this year which is a pity....

Guest Noodle

Get this all the time up here, although the carrots are the best.

Ready meals, frozen ready meals is what you need to do. I currently have 18kgs of spaghetti sauce on the go, which, once cool will be divided into 60 or so portions (little tupperware tubs with lids) and frozen.

This works out at about 90p a kilogram and I don't lose produce.

Microwave when required.

My neighbour was having a few medical issues and her doctor after having established a few facts has advised her to remove the skin (not even washing was good enough) from apples bought from supermarkets before eating due to chemicals used on the things.

I must ask her if it did fix her problem.

What sort of medical issues?

What sort of medical issues?

Stomach problems. Don't remember the details. I probably switched off if she got too graphic.

Stomach problems. Don't remember the details. I probably switched off if she got too graphic.

LOL

I'm a gore villan I'm afraid.. love to know.

But carrots today tasted cr&p. Raw for lunch and they just not right.

I don't mean to name drop but my weekly veg box is telling me the carrot harvest is late and poor in parts this year. We won't be getting 'fresh' carrots till next week.

Is it possible that this delay means they are stringing out supply with the ropiest carrots that they have left

Is it possible that this delay means they are stringing out supply with the ropiest carrots that they have left

that would also explain why 500g has gone from 35p to 80p at Morrisons

The best place to store potatoes is cool dark places....dig a hole and cover them, could work for bendy carrots, :unsure: far better to cook them quickly and eat them.....carrot and coriander soup is nice. ;)

Bendy carrots is because of dehydration. Stick them in a pan of cold water and they will revive in just a few hours. NEVER throw out a bendy carrot. :ph34r: