House Price Crash Forum

Bp - Kevin Costner To The Rescue

shermanator

HOLA441

After actor Kevin Costner spent weeks calling attention to a high-tech oil cleanup device his company spent years developing, BP tested the machine and overnight released a statement saying that not only does the device work, officials are "excited" about its potential.

The actor talks about his oil separation invention."We were confident the technology would work but we needed to test it at the extremes. We've done that and are excited by the results," said Doug Suttles, BP's chief operating officer. "We are very pleased with the results and today we have placed a significant order with OTS [Costner's Ocean Therapy Solutions] and will be working with them to rapidly manufacture and deploy 32 of their machines."

The machine is a centrifuge designed to separate spilled oil from water and, according to Costner, could be instrumental in cleaning up the massive oil slick expanding in the Gulf.

Costner has spent the past 15 years and more than $20 million of his own money to develop the oil separator, which during successful testing, left water 99 percent clean of crude.

"If 20 of my V20s [machines] would have been at the Exxon Valdez, 90 percent of that oil would have been cleaned up within the week," he said, referring to one of the models of the oil separators.

Costner told "Good Morning America" anchor Sam Champion Monday that he became inspired to work on the device after watching coverage of the Exxon Valdez oil spill.

Looks like his device actually works. Two thoughts - he's gonna make a lot of money out of this and I'm surprised that no big engineering firm or oil co. has developed an oil separation device before.

.......Just hope he's got all his patents in order!

HOLA442

I saw something similar on a tv report a few years back. It centrifuged oil out of contaminated sand and was used on a beach somewhere in the UK - a spill / accident that had been buried and ignored some time in the sixties was excavated and cleaned up. Dunno whether there was any connection to Costner's company.

HOLA443

Good luck to the man.... Saving the planet and making a huge amount of money doing so... Whoever spills shit loads of Oil into the sea will always be a company rich enough to cover the cost of clean up....

Was Costner in that shite film Waterworld?..... Who`s laughing now!! B)

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

I make that 4.76 US gallons a minute.

If the size of the spill is actually the whole of the Exxon Valdez at 1.48 million barrels, which it isn't - but if it was, it'd take 1 machine 215 days to clean it up. It'd take 32 machines under 7 days.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

http://www.ots.org/v20.php

200 gallons a minute. Not bad.

"Data suggesting the oil’s flow could be upwards of 40,000 barrels a day - some 1.68 million gallons" - Telegraph

There are 1440 minutes in a day, so in order to suck just the crude, we'd need 1.68m/1440*200 = 6 of Costner's V20s.

As oil spreads out extremely thinly on water, I suspect that you'd have to suck maybe 100 times the quantitty of water to oil. Therefore they'd need 600 machines and 600 ships..

Maybe BPs interest in this owes more to PR than anything else. Costner is an all American guy.

Nevertheless, the more Americans BP can get on board of Costner's profile / influence, the more likely it is they'll be crushed politically. And as threat to BP go, politics overtook costs days ago.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Weirdly ....

... I seem to remember that Costner's character in Waterworld sees the submerged wreck of Exxon Valdez in the film -- isn't it where the villains get their petrol for their jetski type machines from?

Meethinks Costner a) has an obsession with oil spills and B) is playing long term.

HOLA4413

I thought this sounded feasible when it was first mentioned a few weeks ago and am surprised that it's taken them this long to act on it.

BP haven't been idle I am happy to say. They were 'excited' about the centrifugal separation idea but the whole bruhaha with Obama appearing anti-British forced BP to look for a British solution to the problem ( and one that was cheaper than Costner's machine)

There are now 600 Dyson hoovers floating around in the gulf waiting to be cleared up after a disastrous experiment

Of course this has been hushed up

HOLA4414

Weirdly ....

... I seem to remember that Costner's character in Waterworld sees the submerged wreck of Exxon Valdez in the film -- isn't it where the villains get their petrol for their jetski type machines from?

Meethinks Costner a) has an obsession with oil spills and B) is playing long term.

:o You watched that film all the way through....... Different kind of people on HPC for sure... ;)

HOLA4415

After actor Kevin Costner spent weeks calling attention to a high-tech oil cleanup device his company spent years developing, BP tested the machine and overnight released a statement saying that not only does the device work, officials are "excited" about its potential.

Haven't been bothered to hit the link yet - who gets the separated oil?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Guest Noodle

The actor talks about his oil separation invention."We were confident the technology would work but we needed to test it at the extremes. We've done that and are excited by the results," said Doug Suttles, BP's chief operating officer. "We are very pleased with the results and today we have placed a significant order with OTS [Costner's Ocean Therapy Solutions] and will be working with them to rapidly manufacture and deploy 32 of their machines."

The machine is a centrifuge designed to separate spilled oil from water and, according to Costner, could be instrumental in cleaning up the massive oil slick expanding in the Gulf.

Costner has spent the past 15 years and more than $20 million of his own money to develop the oil separator, which during successful testing, left water 99 percent clean of crude.

"If 20 of my V20s [machines] would have been at the Exxon Valdez, 90 percent of that oil would have been cleaned up within the week," he said, referring to one of the models of the oil separators.

Costner told "Good Morning America" anchor Sam Champion Monday that he became inspired to work on the device after watching coverage of the Exxon Valdez oil spill.

Looks like his device actually works. Two thoughts - he's gonna make a lot of money out of this and I'm surprised that no big engineering firm or oil co. has developed an oil separation device before.

Not looked at it, but I guess it's a tricanter centrifuge . . . on a boat.

Archived