House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

They're Unfair And Unaffordable

Public sector pensions will cost taxpayers a shocking £18billion this year - equivalent to the annual budgets of the Army and Royal Navy combined.

Around £4billion will go to the 2.2million people already on government pensions and the remaining £14billion into pension contributions for civil servants still in work.

Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg said the gold-plated schemes were unfair and unaffordable - a clear sign that they are top of a list for Government cutbacks.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1286597/Clegg-promises-action-Britains-18bn-year-public-sector-pensions.html#ixzz0quN6rfr4

like Obama is confident BP will pay out all the fees and charges and compo..

chapter 11 companies pay no-one.

same with Government.

An almost comical thing I have seen is young people working full time and getting a decent pay for their generation.. but that is only 1/3rd as much as retired Brits are getting for their pension!

Like a young person earning £1,200 a month which is above average in todays world. But their grandparent living it up on £3,600 a month in pension income.

same with Government.

But ... but ..but I'm entitled

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

An almost comical thing I have seen is young people working full time and getting a decent pay for their generation.. but that is only 1/3rd as much as retired Brits are getting for their pension!

Like a young person earning £1,200 a month which is above average in todays world. But their grandparent living it up on £3,600 a month in pension income.

I've mentioned it before but a relative of mine, a retired head teacher, earns more than her daughter, a full time teacher!

Add in the fact that the former's is indexed linked and that they benefited from HPI and you see why 30 somethings on decent salaries are living in flats in ex-council estates at the same age that their parents were moving into 4 bed detached places.

same with Government.

Obama wants BP to ringfence monies to pay for "clean up" of the whole US economy by the looks of things.

They should refuse, if he wants to drive them to bankruptcy with rhetoric then you get what's left after the process. One rule for the banksters, every other company has to be held responsible apparently.

Edited by OnlyMe

Unaffordable and has to be sorted out.

Someone's not going to be happy though...

Oh yes they're going to be very unhappy. That is todays 20-30 somethings duped into joining the race to the bottom. Lets see how quickly we can turn the clock back to the 1930's. Hurrah, were fckd and so are you.

I've mentioned it before but a relative of mine, a retired head teacher, earns more than her daughter, a full time teacher!

Add in the fact that the former's is indexed linked and that they benefited from HPI and you see why 30 somethings on decent salaries are living in flats in ex-council estates at the same age that their parents were moving into 4 bed detached places.

Ouch painful example. It used to be that young adults would start catching up with their elders because the young body could work harder and put in more hours. But today most of the earned income is taxed and given to the elders. Or stealth taxed, like the regulated utilities all have the same liabilities to retired workers so it becomes a cost built into the service.

Oh yes they're going to be very unhappy. That is todays 20-30 somethings duped into joining the race to the bottom. Lets see how quickly we can turn the clock back to the 1930's. Hurrah, were fckd and so are you.

childish venal nasty man

Neither of these are the right situation though, one from a 60 year debt bubble that allowed average wage to purchase a 4/5 bed house and another at the peak/pop of the bubble which sees average wage families in 1 bed flats.

Few on this site will like to be reminded that:

The average public sector pension is quite small

The pension arrangements for the public sector have always been a significant offset against pay levels.

These are probably unpalatable facts to some here. Clegg knows that the Daily Mail has laid the prejudice for him to get away with the argument. Race to the bottom is underway, Parliamentary pensions will be the next target.

Won't they?

race.jpg

Welcome to your world.

I accuse you of being childish and you respond with a puerile cartoon without substantiating argument profering an outmoded marxist myth?

fool

only because that number includes funds accrued over only a few years - very bad selective stats. typical marxist innumeracy.

The pension arrangements for the public sector have always been a significant offset against pay levels.

until the last 10 years this was true

These are probably unpalatable facts to some here. Clegg knows that the Daily Mail has laid the prejudice for him to get away with the argument. Race to the bottom is underway, Parliamentary pensions will be the next target.

Won't they?

Look its irrelevant. I will feel much better once everyone is equal. I'm not ok, you're not ok. Economic MAD, it's the only way.

not anymore though? I believe now a public sector worker earns more than the equivalent private sector one. Plus all the benefits

not anymore though? I believe now a public sector worker earns more than the equivalent private sector one. Plus all the benefits

oh comeon - primary school teachers on 35000 per year with fantastic pensions are badly paid, and private solicitors on 28000 are more or less office monkeys with few qualifications by comparison, lets be honest

oh comeon - primary school teachers on 35000 per year with fantastic pensions are badly paid, and private solicitors on 28000 are more or less office monkeys with few qualifications by comparison, lets be honest

you need a degree to be a van driver these days.

Won't they?

Ok I'll bite

The average may be quite small but within the average there are many at a much higher level. It will be very easy to target reductions in these without affecting those receiving pensions at the low end of the scale.

Public sector pensions may have once been an offset against lower pay levels in the public sector as were

- shorter working hours

- longer holidays

- much better job security

- better sick pay

in the public sector but this is history. Pay levels in the public sector are higher than the private sector and the benefits remain.

Notwithstanding the above the simple fact is that the amount of money required to fund these gold plated benefits is simply not available. Is the private sector taxpayer really going to continue to bend over to subsidise benefits in the public sector that they can only dream about ?

The party is over

I don't see the terms and conditions of the public sector as being the problem. It is the number of public sector workers.

Get rid of legislation that enables the jobs to exist and the numbers will fall accordingly.

p-o-p

Won't they?

I doubt that. I would like to see the proof. Private pensions that pay well are now as rare as hen's teeth, public sector gold plated pensions are still standard. So I dont know how you come to believe this. All you need to see is the collosal amount that public sector pensions are costing to see that what you say isnt true.

Was once trueish, but not now. The public sector commands higher pay and way better pensions. Not to mention shorter working time (teachers) more holidays and sickies. Private sector pay has atrophied with the onslaught of global wage aribitrage. Public sector pay has been immune, hence the out of control fiscal deficit. We simply cannot afford to pay all these salaries and pensions out of the tax raised on our private sector any longer.

These are probably unpalatable facts to some here.

I suggest in the light of the above, the facts may be unpalatable to you, Mr Public Sector worker.

You know that they have won when after decades of massive corporate profits, vastly increasing wealth for the top 1%, huge inflation in asset and land prices instead of the private sector workers going after their masters for a fair share of the wealth they redirect the mob towards the public sector to get them to drag them down to their level.

If the super rich were charged a level of taxation to reflect their unearned income and asset wealth we wouldn't have any problem providing for our elderly.

heres an email viral I received today

KNOW WHY PENSIONERS ARE UP IN ARMS?

This is interesting!

Let me see if I understand all this .........

IF YOU CROSS THE NORTH KOREAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU GET 12 YEARS HARD LABOR.

IF YOU CROSS THE IRANIAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU ARE DETAINED INDEFINITELY.

IF YOU CROSS THE AFGHAN BORDER ILLEGALLY, YOU GET SHOT.

IF YOU CROSS THE SAUDI ARABIAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU WILL BE JAILED.

IF YOU CROSS THE CHINESE BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU MAY NEVER BE HEARD FROM AGAIN.

IF YOU CROSS THE VENEZUELAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU WILL BE BRANDED A SPY AND YOUR FATE WILL BE SEALED.

IF YOU CROSS THE CUBAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU WILL BE THROWN INTO POLITICAL PRISON TO ROT.

IF YOU CROSS THE BRITISH BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU GET A JOB, A DRIVERS LICENSE, PENSION CARD, WELFARE, CREDIT CARDS, SUBSIDISED RENT OR A LOAN TO BUY A HOUSE, FREE EDUCATION AND FREE HEALTH CARE.

Are you aware of the following?

The British Government provides the following financial assistance: -

BENEFIT

BRITISH OLD AGED PENSIONER

ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS / REFUGEES LIVING IN BRITAIN

Weekly allowance

£100

£250

Weekly Spouse allowance

£25

£225

Weekly hardship allowance

£0:00

£100

TOTAL YEARLY BENEFIT

£6,000

£29,900

If I was a refugee, why would I look for work?

Please forward to all your contacts so that we can lobby for an increase in the aged pension.

After all, the average pensioner has paid taxes and contributed to the growth of this country

For the last 40 to 60 years.