House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Black Tuesday As Greek Debt Downgraded

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/ftse-seen-opening-lower-reuters_molt-23a467cd8354.html?x=0

FTSE seen opening lower
7:07, Tuesday 15 June 2010
LONDON (Reuters) - The leading share index is seen falling on Tuesday, after Wall Street gave up gains to end lower overnight as a downgrade of Greece's debt reignited fears about Europe's debt problems.

Perhaps a slightly delayed reaction to the awful reality that no one believes in the Greek bailout and Spain may be next. I am wondering what all the recent stock euphoria was all about. I got out early in May and have no plans to get back into stocks in the short or even medium term.

No idea what the stocks will do today. We are in that funny summer twilight zone for everything it seems.

I wouldn't have thought this downgrade would have too much of a negative effect. Greet debt has been effectively junk for a few weeks it's just wasn't official until last night.

All buy signals today:

Dow 10,269.41 +78.52 +0.77%

Lots of good news out there, junk bond status for Greece, Spanish IR rise, BP downgraded to BBB, Oil rising to $76...

All buy signals today:

Dow 10,269.41 +78.52 +0.77%

Lots of good news out there, junk bond status for Greece, Spanish IR rise, BP downgraded to BBB, Oil rising to $76...

There is a complete tozzer who is trotted out on BBC and other news channels; I think he works for BarCap, old(ish) bloke full of arrogance and pomp. He seems to think everything is just fine and that the FTSE 10% decline in the last month was mostly due to BP.

Can anyone actually tell me what affect the BP share price has had on the FTSE 100?

There is a complete tozzer who is trotted out on BBC and other news channels; I think he works for BarCap, old(ish) bloke full of arrogance and pomp. He seems to think everything is just fine and that the FTSE 10% decline in the last month was mostly due to BP.

Can anyone actually tell me what affect the BP share price has had on the FTSE 100?

Do you mean David Buick

everything is priced in, of course. even the unexpected is priced in.

The "good news" about inflation in the housing sector pushed sterling up more than 100bp

Good news everywhere today which may mean the end of the debt crisis, austerity and the need to hike taxes.

Spending frenzy times are back folks!

Dow Jones 10299.27 108.38 +1.06%

FTSE 100 5228.51+0.51%

Euro up on German sentiment (they are realists) and news of deflationary trend:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Wall-Street-rises-with-euro-rb-1967056791.html;_ylt=AjaqlpNu5PhIFIO7tCDm_uC7YWsA;_ylu=X3oDMTE1b2NmOGYwBHBvcwMyBHNlYwN0b3BTdG9yaWVzBHNsawN3YWxsc3RyZWV0cmk-?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=main&asset=&ccode=

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Stocks rose on Tuesday as the euro strengthened after successful European debt auctions and U.S. data showed inflation remained under control.

The euro, a yardstick used by equity investors to gauge risk appetite, rose above $1.23 to its best level since June 3, even after a survey showed German analyst and investor sentiment fell more than expected.

The move is "all related to the euro. It determines how the stock market behaves," said Joseph Battipaglia, market strategist at Stifel Nicolaus in Yardley, Pennsylvania.

Edited by Realistbear

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601085&sid=a7GqztCk8yOI

European Stocks Advance for a Fifth Day as BSkyB Shares Surge
Share Business ExchangeTwitterFacebook| Email | Print | A A A
By Adam Haigh and Alexis Xydias
June 15 (Bloomberg) -- European stocks advanced for a fifth day,
the longest winning streak in three months
, as News Corp. offered to buy British Sky Broadcasting Plc, offsetting a plunge in German investor confidence and a rating downgrade for Greece.

The exuberance is very strong when you consider that 5 days ago the Euro was about to collapse and shares were in a major sell off. Things have changed dramatically to the point where euphoria is universal in every sector of the market. Even sterling is at a high based on the return of HPI which is seen in the market as good news for the economy.

Yes I did mean him, thanks. I can't stand the bloke. Glad you understood who he was based on my description :D

he swans on the screen and paddles his bankers nonsense. the long neck of the man!

He's actually been incredibly bearish at times in the past, especially about the housing market. Always seemed like quite a reasonably chap.

Now, Henk Potts however......

Guest Noodle

Yes I did mean him, thanks. I can't stand the bloke. Glad you understood who he was based on my description :D

The man's an icon, a comedy god!