House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Ian Chesterton

Sport Is For People Too Stupid To Get Sci-Fi

Sport is for people whose real lives are interesting and fulfilling enough not to need to retreat into fantasy worlds.

Sport is for people whose real lives are interesting and fulfilling enough not to need to retreat into fantasy worlds.

Anyone who finds the real world interesting and fulfilling enough is severely lacking in imagination.

Sport is one of the ultimate fantasy worlds - one that so many folk can easily fool themselves into thinking they are a part of... and is some how 'real life'.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/millions-pretend-football-means-something-200908171987/

Guest BetterOffOnBenefits

I think of Sport (football in particular) as a soap opera.

I had a friend who always had to check the back pages of the local rag to see what was happening in the footie world.

Sport is alright if you actually take part in it but Britain seems to be a nation of lager swilling, armchair sportsmen

Okay, here's my thinking.

Sci-fi is the "sport" of the mind; sport is the "sci-fi" of the body.

There ya' go, all nice and neat, packaged-up, wrapped with string, tidy edges, that'll be a shilling to send to Mrs Marmaduke in Lathes.

Many of my friends live in a complete fantasy world based on premiership football. It really affects their happiness, health, marriages, even their kids. It's sex and the city for men - ie. nothing to do with them and their lives.

Now that you put it that way it reminds me of something. A relative of mine a few months back expressed anger over the behaviour of a charcter in a soap opera. I naturally pointed out that it was merely entertainment and did not necessarily reflect the real world which might otherwise affect them, hence no need to get uptight. They looked embarrassed. The conversation swiftly moved on.

The same would not have been true of a football fan becoming animated over his team's performance. As you say: total fantasists.

I like to bait footballer fans who are discussing sci-fi fans in pejorative terms by telling them I've heard of a convention happening in an urban centre, where hundreds, maybe thousands are gonna turn up, all kitted out like their heros. I then describe how these weirdos must get a kick out of leaving their dull existences to group together with other geeks to obsess about the latest twists and turns in the fortunes of their cosplay doppelgangers. I tell them how these saddos spend a fortune on costumes and how some even dress their kids up. Then I describe a particular costume in some detail: "imagine, even on a freezing march day, dressing up in nothing more than a short-sleeved red shirt with rhe words "AIG" plastered over your chest!" Of course they refuse to accept the parallels between the ultra-geekdomvess of cosplay and football supporting, but it's there for anyone to see who cares to look.

I like both. They're gggggggggggggreat!

However, what may have escaped some of you, and I know this may come as a shock, Football and other various sports actually exist (unless you are Injin perhaps), the goals they score are not pretend goals, tackles really happen, over head kicks manifest themselves in physical form.

The Borg, don't (doesn't?) exist.

The England captain is a real human being.

Captain Kirk was imagined by someone, written down and someone dressed up and pretended to be him.

Cricket bats are available in most good sports stores.

Teleportation devices and light speed travel are not yet commercially available.

I have seen a football match in real life.

I have never seen spaceships capable of intergalactic travel except on television / film / computers / cartoons etc.

Most have you will have played football, golf, cricket, tennis and many other sports.

None of you have travelled to Dagobah system.

<queue the real fantasists>

On reflection I take back my earlier "imagination" comment. I go to football matches, but League 1, not Premier League. Everyone there clearly has a lot of imagination that there's any point in going.

On reflection I take back my earlier "imagination" comment. I go to football matches, but League 1, not Premier League. Everyone there clearly has a lot of imagination that there's any point in going.

:lol:

I went to a Cov vs Blackpool match a few months ago. At one point I caught myself imagining it wasn't the most dire, dreadfully boring display of nothingness I have ever seen - I soon snapped out of it when the booing started about 35 minutes in!

When I got home I instantly played bak-to-back re-runs of Blake Seven to calm my nerves and bring me back to reality.

I went to a Cov vs Blackpool match a few months ago. At one point I caught myself imagining it wasn't the most dire, dreadfully boring display of nothingness I have ever seen - I soon snapped out of it when the booing started about 35 minutes in!

When I got home I instantly played bak-to-back re-runs of Blake Seven to calm my nerves and bring me back to reality.

And that's the dizzy heights of the Championship! You try a terrace at Carlisle on a dark, wet freezing January. Or pretty thick fog once in a cup game against Norwich, which was at least redeemed by a spectacular back-heeled volley into the goal. Then the drive back listening to the whingers phoning in to the radio. They clearly enjoy fantasy because they get upset if the performance wasn't Premier league standard (i.e. after every game no matter what the score). At least the fire is usually lit in the pub when I get back.

I like both. They're gggggggggggggreat!

However, what may have escaped some of you, and I know this may come as a shock, Football and other various sports actually exist (unless you are Injin perhaps), the goals they score are not pretend goals, tackles really happen, over head kicks manifest themselves in physical form.

Ah, maybe so, BUT the degree to which one is a fantasist is not merely dependent on the likelihood of your fantasy, but by how much you believe it will happen. There can't be many trekkies who actually belive they will "boldly go", but there are plenty of footie fans who at least once believed they had a shot at the big time. Don't tell me you weren't one of them! :D

Pro-wrestling may be scripted, but few would doubt it exists. The science fiction books, films and television programmes exist as well as the football matches.

Pro-wrestling is not a sport as far as I am concerned and I believe I am right that a lot of official bodies share my view and list it as 'entertainment' - I think there have been legal cases about it (I haven't bothered to check to I'll happily be proved to be the fantasist I clearly am :)) It's basically science fiction with no science.

I wasn't suggesting that science fiction didn't exist. Just that it was fiction. Football matches are not fiction.

I was merely suggesting that some poster's views that football fans are living a soap opera may be a little unfair. They do actually go to matches and play football. They probably have as much influence over the results of their team as posters on here have over the outcomes of Politics and the economy. I think it is perfectly okay to get extremely passionate about politics and economics, even though I have close to zero influence, I think the same about sports fans. Whilst the reverse may not be true (the economy and politics impacts each individual where sport may not) Sport may have more influence on a persons daily lives and mental health and happiness than politics. It is something they feel they can be part of, something they can aspire to, something they can watch their children take part in.

Like I said, I like both. However, I think to suggest sports fans are fantasists who deserve contempt and that there is no difference between a football match and an episode of Doctor Who is to fail to observe reality.

Ah, maybe so, BUT the degree to which one is a fantasist is not merely dependent on the likelihood of your fantasy, but by how much you believe it will happen. There can't be many trekkies who actually belive they will "boldly go", but there are plenty of footie fans who at least once believed they had a shot at the big time. Don't tell me you weren't one of them! :D

Of course I was. I still am!

However, that is a tiny part of being a sports fan, a dream - most fans realise it's a dream. I agree some people are disconnected with reality, but they are a minority.

Also, David Beckham had that dream. Would he have had the same result had he wanted to become a Storm Trooper?

Yes, if he had wanted to become a lead actor in a Hollywod sci-fi film (with a squeaky voice).

Subtle difference though.

If he had wanted to be an actor playing a Storm Trooper it was a reasonable aspiration (he would't have to speak if he was a Storm Trooper extra, just walk!) but he could never have been an actual Storm Trooper who enjoyed intergalactic travel, light sabres and so on.

I understand you. My point is that I don't think there's anything 'better' about being a fanatic of fishing competition magazines over say Dickens or Gilbert & Sullivan operettas just because the fishing in the magazines is real.

Football is fiction if you consider that the rules are a fiction - they were 'made up'. Watching a football match is no different to watching a performance art event were there are certain rules the performers must obey, such as "everyone must end every sentence with the word 'pingpong'". EDIT: Pingpong. :)

Yes, I quite agree about it being no better or worse, just different. Not so sure about the rules being fiction, or rules being the same a script - I think that's a bit of a stretch, but fair play.

I was just saying that it is okay to love great sci-fi and escape reality. It is also okay to love sport and get passionate about it. It isn't madness.

PING PONG