House Price Crash Forum
aa3

Exploitation Of Young

Possibly when European colonialism came down the people needed a new group of people to exploit. So they turned to their own children.

Lets face it the massses of young people working for grocery stores, retailers, service sector and so on are borderline serfs. The living wage which imo should be the minimum acceptable in an industrialized society, is often double what the young adults are earning at a place like Tescos.

I've always believed these incredibly lucrative pensions and asset appreciations are directly related to people at Tescos and McDonalds making £5.50 an hour with no benefits. It holds down inflation, and it opens up more of a companies revenues to be paid to shareholders, landlords and so on.. instead of the more normal historical pattern of a high amount going to wages.

In addition both through private debt expansion and public debt expansion boomers and older are borrowing against the future labour of the young generation but spending the money in the present. A classic example is selling utilities to foreigners, and using the money to pay current expenses. Ordinarily a young generation in a nation could look forward to inheriting the massive wealth of the society. Such as their share of the utilities. The parents living off the income of the utility.

Possibly when European colonialism came down the people needed a new group of people to exploit. So they turned to their own children.

Because there was no exploitation of the young during the height of the colonial era? Aside from that, I'm not convinced that low wages for young people can be equated to selling off assets.

Lets face it the massses of young people working for grocery stores, retailers, service sector and so on are borderline serfs. The living wage which imo should be the minimum acceptable in an industrialized society, is often double what the young adults are earning at a place like Tescos.

I've always believed these incredibly lucrative pensions and asset appreciations are directly related to people at Tescos and McDonalds making £5.50 an hour with no benefits. It holds down inflation, and it opens up more of a companies revenues to be paid to shareholders, landlords and so on.. instead of the more normal historical pattern of a high amount going to wages.

In addition both through private debt expansion and public debt expansion boomers and older are borrowing against the future labour of the young generation but spending the money in the present. A classic example is selling utilities to foreigners, and using the money to pay current expenses. Ordinarily a young generation in a nation could look forward to inheriting the massive wealth of the society. Such as their share of the utilities. The parents living off the income of the utility.

SO,OLDER PEOPLE DONT WORK IN RETAIL THEN?

I see exploitation of many age groups, and yes, it is particularly acute in the younger (sub-30) group whom often have no assets, capital and so forth.

However, this 'exploitation' seems to derive from a multitude of factors... decline of the West, globalisation, automation, market manipulation of houseprices, etc, etc...

Indeed, the boomers play a key role in this. Think about it, if you have been used to a certain standard of living for most of your adult life, you aint going to give it up without a fight!!!

SO,OLDER PEOPLE DONT WORK IN RETAIL THEN?

Older people who do not have lucrative pensions, who did not buy into housing capital a decade or more ago.. are in the same boat as the young adults. Maybe worse because at least the young can try to retrain in the faint hope of finding an economic area that might provide real opportunity.

An example is the defined pension benefits going to long term employees are no longer even available for the next generation of corporate workers.

Edited by aa3

I see exploitation of many age groups, and yes, it is particularly acute in the younger (sub-30) group whom often have no assets, capital and so forth.

However, this 'exploitation' seems to derive from a multitude of factors... decline of the West, globalisation, automation, market manipulation of houseprices, etc, etc...

Indeed, the boomers play a key role in this. Think about it, if you have been used to a certain standard of living for most of your adult life, you aint going to give it up without a fight!!!

No-one likes having to turn their lifestyle backwards. And therefore it is logical and obvious that people will do anything in their power to hang on to what they have and are used to. That is just human nature.

That is so childish. How old are you?

Indeed, the initial para is a bit odd.

However, the rest makes some sense when you consider the net worth of individuals in the 45-65 age group (discussed on a recent thread)... they do hold a VERY disproportionate amount of UK wealth.

I would say young people now probably have a better standard of living and more opportunity then pretty much anytime in history, (maybe excluding the last 20 years, but then not by much).

Certainly there are challenges in creating opportunities to better yourself, but there always has been, if your looking to buy a house, wait a little longer, your time is coming, just be ready to take the opportunity when it comes.

I don't believe the older generation set out to enslave their children so they could have a better life, I simply think they believed if you work hard and save you will one day live a better life. I know my parents for example, never borrowed money to buy anything other than a house, they waited until they could afford it and worked extra jobs, lived within their means, didn't go out on the piss every weekend etc etc

I think young people , have always had to start at the bottom , low pay ect. However in the past there was hope of a better future and oppotunity to get on in life.

These things do not seem to be there anymore , their job prospects are very low unless they are extremely well educated . The average or below averagely educated young person has very few prospects. We seem to be in an era of a few very highly rewarded places for the best , and minimun wage all the way for the rest ( with little or no job security )

It has always been hard for they young to buy their first home , however once bought wage inflation eroded the burden of the mortgage very quickly. ( my first mortgage went form 3x my salary to 2x my salary in four years ) this is not going to happen in the future , big mortgages will remain big for years and years.

As for pensions , heard many younger people say one they cannot afford them and two they don't trust them.

Maybe a opt out from the system be availabe at 18, your tax code is altered to Free Man status whereby no or little tax is paid , no back out option available,

no draft possible, law must be followed etc. Main difference being no significant contribution or reliance on State.

Guest sillybear2

Yup, take David "Two Brains" Willett's for example, in opposition only a few months back he published a book called 'The Gap' about the intergenerational kicking, so what does he do as one of his first acts in government, put the boot in even more by dropping the young in even more debt :-

Willetts: Cost of degree courses 'a burden on the tax payer'

Remember that the yoof used to be out on the streets back in the day and now they're too busy playing with their iPhones, so I guess they deserve what they get.

I think young people , have always had to start at the bottom , low pay ect. However in the past there was hope of a better future and oppotunity to get on in life.

These things do not seem to be there anymore , their job prospects are very low unless they are extremely well educated . The average or below averagely educated young person has very few prospects. We seem to be in an era of a few very highly rewarded places for the best , and minimun wage all the way for the rest ( with little or no job security )

Isn't this how it has always been though, with maybe the exception of the last 10 years of "New Labour", but that was paid for by borrowing.

Ultimately in this country we live (all of us) a pretty good standard of living compaired with most people on the planet, and much of it is as a result of "us" exploiting third world workers so we can have cheap food, clothes, electronics etc etc

On a global scale, we are also a part of the problem, we are exploiters.

Now, I'm not having a go, or getting all left wing or anything, but it seems that it is just human nature to want to better yourself and your standard of living, even if it is at someone elses expense. We all appear to be involved at some level. (maybe not willingly, but then we vote our governments in) Just thinking out aloud!

The older generation didn't do this to the young the top 5% did and anyhow they are coming for their wealth aswell.Old and young unite!

YES....THIS IS VERY TRUE....BUT THEY LIKE TO KEEP US FIGHTING EACH OTHER AS IT TAKES THE FOCUS AWAY FROM THEM...

YES....THIS IS VERY TRUE....BUT THEY LIKE TO KEEP US FIGHTING EACH OTHER AS IT TAKES THE FOCUS AWAY FROM THEM...

This my be true, but my parents' generation did OK out of it...

Baby-boomers own half of Britain's wealth

Members of the post-war “baby-boom” generation own almost half of all the personal wealth in the country, a new book has calculated.

People under 45, meanwhile, own little more than a tenth of all property and assets.

According to Pinch, by David Willetts, a Conservative frontbencher, the generation born between 1945 and 1965 have been left with a disproportionate share of the country’s wealth.

In the book, Mr Willetts argues that the post-war generation benefited from an unprecedented combination of benign economic conditions, including rising house prices and high inflation that eroded mortgage debts.

Some of that generation, which amounts to around 17 million people, also enjoyed free university education, jobs for life and final salary pensions.

By contrast, Mr Willetts says, many of the younger generation of workers today struggle to afford their first home, are encumbered by large student debts and face an uncertain situation over their employment and eventual retirement...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/7085489/Baby-boomers-own-half-of-Britains-wealth.html

The older generation didn't do this to the young the top 5% did and anyhow they are coming for their wealth aswell.Old and young unite!

By "the top 5%" I presume that you are talking about that nebulous entity known as "The Rich".

I think that this is where there is a major misunderstanding.

For many of the post-boomers who can't dream of affording one house, someone who owns more than one house is, well, part of "The Rich".

To the boomers, it's not being rich, it's just part of their pension plan (I'm pretty sure I saw on this board recently a link to an article about 20% of the 50+ owning more than one house).

I'm afraid that your "Old and young unite" will never work, as they have fundamentally different views as to who is the Enemy... :(

Isn't this how it has always been though, with maybe the exception of the last 10 years of "New Labour", but that was paid for by borrowing.

Ultimately in this country we live (all of us) a pretty good standard of living compaired with most people on the planet, and much of it is as a result of "us" exploiting third world workers so we can have cheap food, clothes, electronics etc etc

On a global scale, we are also a part of the problem, we are exploiters.

Now, I'm not having a go, or getting all left wing or anything, but it seems that it is just human nature to want to better yourself and your standard of living, even if it is at someone elses expense. We all appear to be involved at some level. (maybe not willingly, but then we vote our governments in) Just thinking out aloud!

No its not how it has always been which is the point that i made , In the past you started at the bottom and as you got older oppotunities opend up and you progressed.

This is the bit that is not there anymore , unless you are very highly qualified and educated there are very few prospects . Layers and layers of average jobs have dissapeared and just minimum wage jobs have replaced them if anything has replaced them. Terms and conditions have deteriated and as people leave and retire from jobs those that replace them are on less money , reduced pensions ( if any ) less security of employment , coupled with the excessive high housing cost's that will not be eroded with wage inflation.

Yes we have had a standard of living at the expense of third world people, how ever the way things are in this country now our young due to low wages high housing cost's and little pension provision will not have the standard of living that their parent's had.

Was at a wedding recently two old work mates mid forties . Looking around the people that i worked with all in the age range earlie late forties , i noticed that most left school at 16 had had good jobs bought homes and had pensions to look forward to. Their offspring most having attended uni had little chance of the standard of living that their parents had had. Even though they were far more educated than their parent's.

Edited by miko

I simply think they believed if you work hard and save you will one day live a better life. I know my parents for example, never borrowed money to buy anything other than a house, they waited until they could afford it and worked extra jobs, lived within their means, didn't go out on the piss every weekend etc etc

I love these sort of comments.

It's easy to save hard to buy things you like when only 25% of the husbands income goes on the mortgage.

Of course it's a lot harder when 50% of joint income goes on the mortgage, but hey, people just need to save harder.

No its not how it has always been which is the point that i made , In the past you started at the bottom and as you got older oppotunities opend up and you progressed.

This is the bit that is not there anymore , unless you are very highly qualified and educated there are very few prospects . Layers and layers of average jobs have dissapeared and just minimum wage jobs have replaced them if anything has replaced them. Terms and conditions have deteriated and as people leave and retire from jobs those that replace them are on less money , reduced pensions ( if any ) less security of employment , coupled with the excessive high housing cost's that will not be eroded with wage inflation.

Yes we have had a standard of living at the expense of third world people, how ever the way things are in this country now our young due to low wages high housing cost's and little pension provision will not have the standard of living that their parent's had.

Was at a wedding recently two old work mates mid forties . Looking around the people that i worked with all in the age range earlie late forties , i noticed that most left school at 16 had had good jobs bought homes and had pensions to look forward to. Their offspring most having attended uni had little chance of the standard of living that their parents had had. Even though they were far more educated than their parent's.

And the answer seems to be lets have even less.

Yep - also what about exploitation of mr average - We are seduced by TV and the media, just general 21st century life to believe that we can have anything or be anything we want, and were going to well off someday. Ok, minimum wage is poor, but what people in 30s or 40s who on appearance earn a good wage, but have kids, aging parents, high property costs - and in order to have that wage need lots of overtime, and work in the background to get that, and constant pressure at work. We taught to believe life is easy, its just case of getting a job in something and keeping your head down- but the reality is different, its hard and getting tougher. They spend most of their working life - just paying mortages, bills and accumulating some savings. Try changing career into something, or just for that matter getting another decent job, and see the competition. I just think there is a fascade everything being easy - but if were honest life is tough.

The real crime committed by the "boomer" generation was of electing successive governments who exported the real industries and allowed the energy and utilities supplies to be auctioned off to foreigners. They were promised a "share owning democracy" and instead they got a debt fuelled serfdom.

I don't think you can blame somebody for something when they didn't "do the right thing" and research the consequences of what they were asked to vote for at the time. The electoral system is blatantly rigged and the majority of politicians are professional liars. The boomers were taught to respect authority and to believe in their leaders. Look where it got them.

The real crime committed by the "boomer" generation was of electing successive governments who exported the real industries and allowed the energy and utilities supplies to be auctioned off to foreigners. They were promised a "share owning democracy" and instead they got a debt fuelled serfdom.

I don't think you can blame somebody for something when they didn't "do the right thing" and research the consequences of what they were asked to vote for at the time. The electoral system is blatantly rigged and the majority of politicians are professional liars. The boomers were taught to respect authority and to believe in their leaders. Look where it got them.

........JUST LOOK AT WHAT HAS BEEN VOTED IN OVER THE LAST 13 YEARS.....

What's done is done.

What I find offensive is that they expect someone else to pay their debts that now come due, despite them holding all the assets, combined with the fact that they expect their children and grandchildren to keep them in the manner they have become accustomed to and which they promised themselves in retirement.

What's done is done.

What I find offensive is that they expect someone else to pay their debts that now come due, despite them holding all the assets, combined with the fact that they expect their children and grandchildren to keep them in the manner they have become accustomed to and which they promised themselves in retirement.

True, but would the current generation necessarily take the consequences of their voting behaviour seriously? Do you believe that the young would act differently if they were motivated to do so by a sudden change of fortune? My own personal opinion is that people are fundamentally programmed from birth to expect certain things.

The world has changed so much in a short space of time and the programming hasn't been updated (or at least teachers and lecturers who promote reality are the exception rather than the rule). The result is that whole swathes of people have false expectations and are not fully conversant in what it really means to "earn a living".

We have been insulated from reality by virtue of our ability to got to war and print money. The spoils of raping other parts of the world bring material benefit and allow us to continue to live with not much effort. Eventually the result of this short term benefit will be total collapse, in the same way as a drug addict who continues to use, will fall prey to the point of no return.

People are, as far as the ruling class is concerned, creatures to be milked. We are farmed from birth. When the bounty of people farming falls below what it requires to sustain the farm, the farm eventually goes bust. Factory farming is cheaper is some parts of the world than others. People farming is more profitable where there is less concern for the welfare of the animals.

What happens as a result of this is anybody's guess, but it will either mean we become wild again, break loose from the shackles of organised tax farming, or we are shepherded into far less savoury confinement, a race to the bottom in the quest for profit.

I like to think that people have more sense than allow themselves to be exploited in this way, but judging by the lack of response to the gross erosion of freedoms that were once taken for granted, I won't hold my breath. The pinch-point has been ascertained for a well educated, socially aware country such as Iceland, but what of a country like Great Britain?

Edited by Pindar