House Price Crash Forum

House Raffle

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1215093/Couple-raffles-3-2million-self-built-eco-home-worlds-biggest-house-lottery.html

Couple raffles £3.2million self-built eco-home in world's biggest ever house lottery

By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 4:45 PM on 21st September 2009

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1215093/Couple-raffles-3-2million-self-built-eco-home-worlds-biggest-house-lottery.html#ixzz0qrJHoGUh

Was on Central news this week - so it's still not raffled off...

HOLA442

I saw that too and did a search. It was in the local papers about the same time:

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/2009/09/22/family-to-raffle-3m-dream-home-near-stratford-92746-24746132/

The end of the article says:

"As an added bonus, the eventual winner will not incur legal costs or stamp duty. If the lucky winner doesn’t fancy a move to the rural mansion, then there’s an alternative cash prize of £1 million. The competition will run for a year.

The organisers will have a chance to extend that period by four months if more tickets need to be sold. If by the end of that time they have not sold 150,000 tickets, all expenses will be removed, charities will receive a pro-rata amount, and the winner will be given what’s left."

I wonder about these 'expenses.' They seem to think they've done it legally but I thought that all the other so-called raffles like this had to be cancelled.

HOLA443

This was the first item on Midlands Today at 6:30 this evening, as part of a bigger piece where they were trying to ramp the housing market. They even had the head of the national association of estate agents talking about how an increase in CGT could cause a flood of properties onto the market, which would somehow be a bad thing :rolleyes:

There was also the classic line of 'a first time buyer buying this house for 240k would pay no stamp duty', Yeah that's right, most FTB's in Sutton Coldfield have 240k to spend on a house.......

HOLA444

"As an added bonus, the eventual winner will not incur legal costs or stamp duty. If the lucky winner doesn’t fancy a move to the rural mansion, then there’s an alternative cash prize of £1 million. The competition will run for a year.

Looks like the usual scam.

But if the house is worth £3.2 Million why would anyone take the cash prize? Thats a third of the "market value"

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

This was the first item on Midlands Today at 6:30 this evening, as part of a bigger piece where they were trying to ramp the housing market. They even had the head of the national association of estate agents talking about how an increase in CGT could cause a flood of properties onto the market, which would somehow be a bad thing :rolleyes:

There was also the classic line of 'a first time buyer buying this house for 240k would pay no stamp duty', Yeah that's right, most FTB's in Sutton Coldfield have 240k to spend on a house.......

I saw this too. I had to turn off in the end. I loathe the presenters as it is but listening to them shamefully ramp the region's property market was a step too far for me.

I believe the closing statement in this televised BBC-license-fee-payer-funded advert report for this particular pwopertee was along the lines of "If the Coxes don't find a buyer soon they may have to knock a million pounds off the asking price".

:rolleyes::D

HOLA448

A couple are offering a £3.2million mansion they built from scratch as first prize in the world's biggest house lottery.

Malcolm and Maxine Cox spent seven years building the 10,000 sq ft eco-friendly property, set in seven acres of land on the outskirts of the picturesque market town of Alcester, near Stratford-upon-Avon, Warks.

The father-of-two said: 'We wanted to live in the house but things change and we want to move on to other projects. Our aim is to be mortgage-free but you can't do that after one development.

'We placed the property on the market in October 2007. It was at that point that property market started to slide, eventually collapsing during 2008.

The band-H property costs £3029.20 a year in council tax...

Mr Cox, who manufactures Victorian street lights, said..."Blah blah blah"

eusa_whistle.gif

HOLA449

When Chuck was a young cowboy in Montana he bought a horse from a farmer for $100. The farmer agreed to deliver the horse the next day.

The next day the farmer drove up and said, "Sorry son, but I have some bad news... the horse died."

Chuck replied, "Well, then just give me my money back."

The farmer said, "Can't do that. I went and spent it already."

Chuck said, "Ok, then, just bring me the dead horse."

The farmer asked, "What ya gonna do with him?"

Chuck said, "I'm going to raffle him off."

The farmer said, "You can't raffle off a dead horse!"

Chuck said, "Sure I can, Watch me. I just won't tell anybody he's dead."

A month later, the farmer met up with Chuck and asked, "What happened with that dead horse?"

Chuck said, "I raffled him off. I sold 500 tickets at two dollars a piece and made a profit of $998."

The farmer said, "Didn't anyone complain?"

Chuck said, "Just the guy who won. So I gave him his two dollars back."

Oh, house! Well same principle.

HOLA4410
  • 7 years later...
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413