House Price Crash Forum

World Cup Betting

HOLA441
HOLA442

For a betting noob, where (which sites) and how (tactics) should I be looking to bet?

Just for fun, don't intend to start a habit.

If you want a rec book and it's just for fun with small bets, pick a high street brand, they're more or less the same really. If you're interested in large bets, it's pinny or the Asians. But I suspect you really just want a rec book. So, Wills, Paddy, Tote or Stan and 888sport aren't shocking either.

Personally I like Paddy, he's been fairer in the past with some payouts and first goal scorer stuff, although his lines aren't the best. Tote and Wills aren't terrible, and Wills have had a very decent run of promos recently. Avoid Betfred, he's a Tw@, and lads can be a bit funny, so i'd say try others first.

Exchanges aren't bad, and you could do worse than a betfair, or betdaq account, but don't assume they have the best prices when you figure commission in.

If you play horses, bet365 has fairly good prices and their bonus/free bets have some advantage in them.

But all rec books have opening offers, i.e. place £50 worth bets get £50 free. So don't open an account without taking advantage of one of those. There are plenty of sites that have the current new account offers.

Tactics, honestly who cares, if you're playing for fun. Enjoy it.

But underdogs at home are often good value and each way bets on mid priced horses will get you banned super quick. (And you didn't hear it from me, but both 888sport and Lads total goals are weak and slow to move)

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Sure, sure ;)

Quite sure, I don't have an addictive personality - far too lazy. Having money in a PIIGS-y bank is the riskiest thing I do. This is just to make things a little more 'interesting' when watching the football.

Also have a tale of bank staff in europe taking customers money and speculating on stocks that I'm sure you'd love but i can't find a link to back it up. Yet.

HOLA448

http://bet72.com/

Try these to find out who are offering 'free' bets, then hedge your bet with your free bet and you can't lose.

Doesn't work. Bookies on the whole make good money because they are not stupid. They give you the free bet after your opening one have been settled, therefore it is impossible to hedge the bet. The other thing of course is that they give you money to bet with but you only get back the actual winnings not the stake as you would normally, this means betting on something low risk doesn't return much.

Having said that it's worth while doing, but they will match only a single bet of the same value so to get the full value you have to risk the same amount. The best strategy in that scenario IMO is place your bet on a cert and keep the free bet for a more risky option later.

I use Paddy Power, never had a problem with it. Used BetFair once but never again, the sign up process was terrible, crashing, error pages the works, and these people wanted me to give them money, no chance.

As for strategy,

Rule 1 : On the whole the bookies know exactly what they are doing, they are risking a lot when they offer a bet and therefore do tons of work to make sure they can set a bet which is attractive but won't bankrupt them.

Rule 2 : If the odds look good then there is something they know and you don't

Rule 3 : Sport is unpredictable

Over the course of last season I made £200 or so betting on football, took most out and now have £40 to use betting on the world cup, a friend and I are betting £1 on every game hopefully we should be able to bet on all the games if we get enough winners, we will put anything left on one team for the final.

My personal opinion is that you will get more enjoyment out of multiple small bets, have an interest in as many games as possible. If you play safe you should/could end up with a modest 10-20% profit, go risky and you are unlikely to last the week.

HOLA449

I'm not going to get into the dynamics of bonus whoring, as there are lots sites out there covering it, but there are many ways to profit from free bet offers. Although it's most dead now anyway.

But personally I wouldn't use an affiliate, or at least I'd use an affiliate that provide a service, like http://www.livescore.co.uk/.

These guys will get paid for your sign up, back in the day it was easy to profit from your sign up, but today it's probably not worth it, and anyone offering you a payment to sign up via their affiliate is probably already identified as a bonus abuser or worse a gnomer.

Safest all round just to sign up via a direct url or google search.

HOLA4410
Guest theboltonfury

If you want a rec book and it's just for fun with small bets, pick a high street brand, they're more or less the same really. If you're interested in large bets, it's pinny or the Asians. But I suspect you really just want a rec book. So, Wills, Paddy, Tote or Stan and 888sport aren't shocking either.

Personally I like Paddy, he's been fairer in the past with some payouts and first goal scorer stuff, although his lines aren't the best. Tote and Wills aren't terrible, and Wills have had a very decent run of promos recently. Avoid Betfred, he's a Tw@, and lads can be a bit funny, so i'd say try others first.

Exchanges aren't bad, and you could do worse than a betfair, or betdaq account, but don't assume they have the best prices when you figure commission in.

If you play horses, bet365 has fairly good prices and their bonus/free bets have some advantage in them.

But all rec books have opening offers, i.e. place £50 worth bets get £50 free. So don't open an account without taking advantage of one of those. There are plenty of sites that have the current new account offers.

Tactics, honestly who cares, if you're playing for fun. Enjoy it.

But underdogs at home are often good value and each way bets on mid priced horses will get you banned super quick. (And you didn't hear it from me, but both 888sport and Lads total goals are weak and slow to move)

Why would you get banned for E/W on mid priced horses?

HOLA4411

Why would you get banned for E/W on mid priced horses?

In certain races, depending on the numbers running and price of the favourites, the place out of an E/W on a mid priced is out of line and high value.

They're fairly easy to spot when you know what to look for.

Books know it, advantage players know it.

HOLA4412
Guest theboltonfury

In certain races, depending on the numbers running and price of the favourites, the place out of an E/W on a mid priced is out of line and high value.

They're fairly easy to spot when you know what to look for.

Books know it, advantage players know it.

tell me then. Please.

HOLA4413

tell me then. Please.

You can't win.

they will ban you if you do.

I am banned from about half the UK betting websites (not for horses).

Stop thinking about fairness, they only want the custom of losers.

Generally, if you withdraw money from a bookmaking account, they run a check over the account. Too many sharp-looking bets and it's bye-bye. Sometimes one can do it.

OTOH there are always other people who might place bets for you. ;)

HOLA4414

For a betting noob, where (which sites) and how (tactics) should I be looking to bet?

Just for fun, don't intend to start a habit.

From memory , try Oddschecker, bestbetting, Oddsexchange, TIP-EX, Betbrain , there are probably more now, sorry if the names aren't quite right, use Google. This will show which sites have the best odds.

For a noob, Betandwin used to be so crap at their odds selection you could make money without trying, but it's only for noobs as they will soon ban you or limit you to 50p bets.

One site which is top quality is Pinnacle, if you can beat them at anything except soccer then you're good.

Betfair and Betdaq are useful for hedging, look out for the commissions though.

Have fun, and don't forget, if your account with a bookie is still open after 3 months, then you're probably a loser. :)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

That's a bit of an understatement.

:)

Yes.

I caught them out on some total goals bets in WC qualifiers a few years back, they put up overlap totals different to the other books, oh dear. :rolleyes: That was a good night, but they were sharp for the next round of matches.

Unlike poxy British bookies, I don't think they ban you for winning, but then, I doubt if many people win overall there!

Note to noobs, the fact that they better than 99.9% of punters is a good thing, it means that they will pay if you win. It's the crap sites that invent reasons for cancelling your bet or just lie, it's easier than getting good oddsmakers.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I'm only lookig for small fun bets like gilf describes, I don't intend becoming a full time gambler.

Yeah go Paddy he's a fine recreational book.

So, how do you make a living from internet poker... :D

You don't, not any more, the fish bust or got better

HOLA4419

Jayzus: North Korea put one in against Bazil.

NORTH Korea!

The final score was 2-1 for those who didn't watch, Brazil are of course the faves.

Does anybody know anything abour N Korean footie?

It was 1966 when N Korea last QUALIFIED.

If we weren't looking so mediocre I'd be tempted to think "aye-aye - 1966 .... !!"

:o

HOLA4420

Jayzus: North Korea put one in against Bazil.

NORTH Korea!

The final score was 2-1 for those who didn't watch, Brazil are of course the faves.

Does anybody know anything abour N Korean footie?

It was 1966 when N Korea last QUALIFIED.

If we weren't looking so mediocre I'd be tempted to think "aye-aye - 1966 .... !!"

:o

Great first half performance by NK. Class told in second half. But I'm not writing off NK just yet in this tournament.

HOLA4421

Great first half performance by NK. Class told in second half. But I'm not writing off NK just yet in this tournament.

NK at 2000/1 to win the World Cup, got to be worth £2 of anybody's cash smile.gif

Plus Kim Jong has probably already told them their fortunes if they go home empty handed!

HOLA4422

I was surprised that N Korea's striker (who was handy) plays in Japan and has a Hummer. Hardly ever goes to N Korea but plays for them out of choice (born in Japan).

On football betting, I think the value is in draws. Bookies know people usually bet out of loyalty or bias. I got 11/5 S Africa v Mexico &11/4 Eng v USA. Didn't get the Algeria v Slovenia one right though. :(

At the start of last season, Ladbrokes, etc actually lost money on football bets because there were only 4 draws in the first 66 matches.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Archived