House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

2Bn A Year On Bottled Water

2bn

Flipping heck. So as people have to tighten their belts (individuals and companies) we could easily save £2bn by stopping buying bottled water and using the tap!

So how many are employed in the bottled water industry? (I don't know if the figure includes office coolers)

There's a few requests FOI about how much some councils spend on these but it'd be nice to know how much tax payer money got wasted on it across all govt/council.

2bn

Flipping heck. So as people have to tighten their belts (individuals and companies) we could easily save £2bn by stopping buying bottled water and using the tap!

So how many are employed in the bottled water industry? (I don't know if the figure includes office coolers)

There's a few requests FOI about how much some councils spend on these but it'd be nice to know how much tax payer money got wasted on it across all govt/council.

It's interesting to see what our growing GDP is composed of.

2bn

I heard someone joke the other day that if you are farmer in Scotland that the worst thing you can do is put your water through a cow and try selling it as milk, the price difference is not insignificant.

The amount of money we spend on bottled water in this country is odd (though if I lived in London i wouldnt drink the water there so that may explain some of what is going on).

When one team came up with the brand name 'A Bottle of Water', I thought it was so ironic, because it's literally telling people all it is is a bottle of water, like if I fill a bottle with tap water, and they're still planning to charge 50p.

What's wrong with tap water? in most parts of the country it's indistinguishable from bottled water.

When one team came up with the brand name 'A Bottle of Water', I thought it was so ironic, because it's literally telling people all it is is a bottle of water, like if I fill a bottle with tap water, and they're still planning to charge 50p.

What's wrong with tap water? in most parts of the country it's indistinguishable from bottled water.

In some parts of the country, Malvern, Buxton it IS bottled water.

Edited by AteMoose

Better in a lot of ways as there is a better check on bacterial contamination in tap water, and it's not radioactive. Some expensive 'Spa' mineral waters would qualify as low-level nuclear waste if it weren't for the fact that they are 'natural'. Quite funny to see some deluded health fanatics drinking water that would not be out of place in the cooling water from Sizewell B nuclear power station.

I agree. I'm sure a lot of people buy it because it's convenient to shove it in the fridge whilst even in this country, tap water is a bit tepid at this time of year. Fill a jug with tap water and put it in the fridge overnight. I'm sure a TV program did a comparison (it might have been Richard + Judy, oh the shame) and several people couldn't tell the difference.

There are parts of the country where the tap water is poor though. Use Sainsburys squash, 59p for 1.5 litres, works out at about 1p a pint after you've added water. I've only ever bought bottled water abroad, specifically Italy, their's goes straight through me for some reason, especially in Naples. :(

In order to make obvious cutbacks we cancelled our water dispensors in every office and studio. Now the two main kitchens have built in water purifiers... Saved us about £700 per month on average... People have to go up and down stairs now to get a drink of water..

We no longer have to worry about storage for up to 50 large containers holding water and we no longer have a huge truck delivering the stuff on a weekly basis during the summer...

There was uproar at first but people soon adapt. Most understood clearly when a couple of staff members were made redundant shortly afterwards.

In order to make obvious cutbacks we cancelled our water dispensors in every office and studio. Now the two main kitchens have built in water purifiers... Saved us about £700 per month on average... People have to go up and down stairs now to get a drink of water..

We no longer have to worry about storage for up to 50 large containers holding water and we no longer have a huge truck delivering the stuff on a weekly basis during the summer...

There was uproar at first but people soon adapt. Most understood clearly when a couple of staff members were made redundant shortly afterwards.

That's a bit harsh just for complaining about the water.

That's a bit harsh just for complaining about the water.

:lol: It was quoted that it could have been three of you but for the savings on water.. :D

Probably a lot less than gets spent on answering FOI requests on every individuals bugbears...

With a spare 5 minutes and access to the correct e-mail address list you can get around 1000 public bodies to invest up to 16 hours each on answering whatever you want - 16000 hours @ £30 an hour = £480k of Government spending, free research for a lot of companies.....

At least in the UK I've not seen whole supermarket aisles with nothing but bottled water, and people filling trolleys up with nothing but bottled water. It seemed fairly common in France. I drunk the tap water there the whole 15 months I lived there without any ill effects.

I used to work for a company that sold fancy water-coolers. One of the most ridiculous things was one particular model, that came without a filter. So some mug would pay £150 quid for a machine that's plummed into the normal water supply and does nothing to the water that letting the tap run a bit wouldn't do. Or just putting a jug of water in the fridge. £150 for a glorified tap. It just shows how much business is based on nothing more than people's poncyness.

Of course, all the coolers were made in Taiwan, but the company would give them Swiss or German sounding names. Some corporate bellend is sipping tap-water somewhere, thinking how marvellous that German engineering is, and how much nicer the water tastes. Haha, couldn't make it up.

I used to work for a company that sold fancy water-coolers. One of the most ridiculous things was one particular model, that came without a filter. So some mug would pay £150 quid for a machine that's plummed into the normal water supply and does nothing to the water that letting the tap run a bit wouldn't do. Or just putting a jug of water in the fridge. £150 for a glorified tap. It just shows how much business is based on nothing more than people's poncyness.

Of course, all the coolers were made in Taiwan, but the company would give them Swiss or German sounding names. Some corporate bellend is sipping tap-water somewhere, thinking how marvellous that German engineering is, and how much nicer the water tastes. Haha, couldn't make it up.

Some people would spend £150 on a normal tap...

Edited by domo

I used to work for a company that sold fancy water-coolers. One of the most ridiculous things was one particular model, that came without a filter. So some mug would pay £150 quid for a machine that's plummed into the normal water supply and does nothing to the water that letting the tap run a bit wouldn't do. .

A one off cost or a maintenance bill attached on a regular basis?

I'm indifferent to the water, but I like the bottles (which I then refill numerous times from the tap). I wish they just sold the empty bottles really.

Sure beats having to take water around in a bulky thermos flask, which then makes the water taste of plastic (which is what I did prior to bottled water being around)

A one off cost or a maintenance bill attached on a regular basis?

The company I worked for used to wholesale them to other companies, who would then sell them to businesses with maintenance contracts etc attached.

For those who daBBle - it's 'supposedly' the Age of Aquarius (the water bearer)

Thus - the oC_Cult have manipulated the population into a multiude of 'water bearing' Aquarians!

I can't think of anyone looking more idiotic in the street, than those who go everywhere hanging on to their bottles for dear life.

Bewitched Idiots