House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ologhai Jones

Employees Sent Home Due To Power-Cut

My partner rang me at about 1.30pm. They've had a power-cut at work, and they've heard that it won't be back on till at least 4pm, so there's no computers, lights, nothing.

Haven't heard the full story yet, but it sounds like all the employees have been sent home, but they've been told they'll just have to make up for the lost time by working extra hours here and there.

My gut response to this is: they can't make them make up for that lost time can they?

I would've thought that it's an employee's responsibility to make sure they make themselves available for work between agreed hours and at an agreed place, i.e. the employer's premises, and it's the employer's responsibility to make a functioning premises available in order to work and to specify what they want doing.

Surely, it's not the employees' problem if the employer is unable to provide a functioning premises this afternoon?

Am I over-reacting here? Can someone see it from the employer's POV?

Happened at my old work place, there was a huge fire in the tyre yard (one of those accidental 5 times a year to get rid of old tyres) and we were evac'd out of the place.

Our work deadlines were not extended for not being allowed in for 2 days though.

Guest X-QUORK

Union!

If they're sent home they should get paid imo.

+1

Not the employees' fault.

If you dont work you dont get paid, allowing employees to make up the time will allow your partner to be fully paid...

Guest X-QUORK

If you dont work you dont get paid, allowing employees to make up the time will allow your partner to be fully paid...

Not if it falls outside contracted working hours.

I can see no justification to make them work extra , but I can also see no reason to pay them for the time they didn't work.

Guest X-QUORK

I can see no justification to make them work extra , but I can also see no reason to pay them for the time they didn't work.

Because they're being financially penalised for something the company is responsible for.

It's up to the employer to sue the power company for their losses rather than punishing employees.

Guest happy?

Because they have a contract of employment - the employer has failed in their side of the contract and accordingly it's their responsibility. As others have pointed-out if they wish to claim for their loss against a third-party (the electricity company) then they should seek advice on the prospects of success. Also, they may also have an insurance policy to cover such eventualities in any event.

They were available for work when their contracts said. If the company doesn't give them any work to do but they're on a contract then it's the company's problem.

Because they have a contract of employment - the employer has failed in their side of the contract and accordingly it's their responsibility. As others have pointed-out if they wish to claim for their loss against a third-party (the electricity company) then they should seek advice on the prospects of success. Also, they may also have an insurance policy to cover such eventualities in any event.

If its contracted hours and the employer cannot provide premises / work then on reflection I agree.

Wrong. If you breach the terms of your ontract you don't get paid. If you trun up for work and your employer can't provide anything for you to do then you stil get paid.

Because they're being financially penalised for something the company is responsible for.

It's up to the employer to sue the power company for their losses rather than punishing employees.

Or to insure against the potential loss which is dead easy to do and which is the way a court wil see it.

This consequential loss should be covered by insurance. It's wholly unreasonable to expect employees to compensate the company for their loss. Employees should decline the request to make up for the lost hours unless paid at the appropriate rate. If any action is taken against such employees they should seek advice about obtaining legal redress.

Guest absolutezero

Correct.

The employees were available for work.

The employer sent them home.

They should be paid - and if the employer wants work doing during other hours then they should be offered extra pay to do that voluntarily.

No chance, I guess that there is a get out clause for any power failure.

No sympathy for the employer I see, no support for his position what soever.

What would each of you posters have done if you were the employer? think through his position!

Why is it that employees and governments think that business's have a bottomless access to cash?

Employees want time off for Drs, dentist, etc. but never expect to make up the time, one way street is 'give and take' !!

So pleased to be out of all that $**t, having been a victim of thieving employees, we packed up (sold) our business, never gave them a second chance, shysters.

Guest absolutezero

What would each of you posters have done if you were the employer? think through his position!

Why is it that employees and governments think that business's have a bottomless access to cash?

Employees want time off for Drs, dentist, etc. but never expect to make up the time, one way street is 'give and take' !!

So pleased to be out of all that $**t, having been a victim of thieving employees, we packed up (sold) our business, never gave them a second chance, shysters.

Yes. All that unpaid overtime and veiled threats about redundancy. Dangling the promotion carrot knowing full well you'll never give it.

Yes. Give and take is a definite one-way street.

Thank god you're not my employer (well, I assume you aren't).

If I was the employer I would stand by the terms of the contract, as I would expect my employees to do. If they don't turn up for work they don't get paid, if I don't give them the work for whatever reason I don't get work done but still have to pay. It's not their fault the power went down - shouldn't be their problem. It's not my fault if they want extra time off for no good reason - shouldn't be my problem (incidentally, why do you think perfectly valid reasons for not going to work are having it all their way? You should take into account that their not your slaves when you hire them, and make allowances for that sort of thing in the pay offered).

Employers might not be bottomless pits of money but they can withstand the odd problem like this (assuming they're a well-run business) far better than individuals can. Who's position is affecting the most people?

I agree -- it is about give and take.

A couple of weeks ago, my partner's car broke down. The AA came, made a temporary fix. She was two and a half hours late for work.

Getting to work on time is her responsibility. She made the time up. I think it would have been wrong of her to expect the employer to let her off.

Just like I think it's wrong of the employer NOT to let the employees off when it's not their fault! ;)