House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rain'ard

Smoking Ban

I wasn't impressed by the contents of this article, as I cannot really see how they can claim what they say. For one thing Heart attacks would not occur through smoking on this short term basis, and another thing as the figures are below 5% this study is inconclusive and therefore there is no proof the smoking ban is having no effect. Shoukd such a study be longditudinal. Any comments wecome

link

I'm in favour of it myself. Full on ban can't come quick enough.

That said, I was rather suprised to see 'Its illegal to smoke on these premises' signs screwed up on the walls in the common areas of my (non council) block of flats this morning... huh.gif

Guest X-QUORK

Yes, quite a surprising study, but welcome if true.

From what I understood, the majority of lives saved were non-smokers who no longer had to breath in cigarette toxins. These toxins can have a dramatic enough effect to bring on a heart attack in vulnerable people - scary stuff.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Khmer Britannia will legalise compulsory smoking in the elderly.

Vote Khmer Britannia.

From what I understood, the majority of lives saved were non-smokers who no longer had to breath in cigarette toxins. These toxins can have a dramatic enough effect to bring on a heart attack in vulnerable people - scary stuff.

Hmm, you might want to look up the original research on second hand smoke...it was pretty weak.

Having said that, at least I can now go out without my clothes smelling of old smoke.

Khmer Britannia will legalise compulsory smoking in the elderly.

Vote Khmer Britannia.

That's what I want when I'm for the knockers yard Even though I don't smoke. I want a nursing home that has ciggies and alcohol on tap. Who gives a **** at that age .

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

You lot overlook the real killer in our midst.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/10293519.stm

"Windscreen wiper water may be the cause of 20% of cases of Legionnaires' Disease in England and Wales, the Health Protection Agency says."

Time for a windscreen washer ban.

p-o-p

I can see some obvious public sector savings.....

The article makes the usual assumption that correlation means causation.

It could be claimed that Screaning at GP's for high blood pressure created this result, and ad infinitum

Big fan of the smoking ban myself. I was a 20 a day man up until 2 years ago. Best thing I ever did was quit and I think the ban helped with it not reaking of tabs everywhere (although pubs/ bars did smell pretty ropey for a while, some places still do).

I was in Malaysia a few weeks ago and it was most umpleasant having people smoke in the hotel bar etc.

Nowt worse that a moaning ex smoker though. Ha! :)

A full on ban is daft though.

They don't mention that heart attacks also fell in the year prior to the smoking ban, which indicates the falls may have little to do with the ban. Of course there will always be some statistic that changes each year. If they notice kidney failures are up after the smoking ban, they don't say the smoking ban caused more kidney failures. It is bad, agenda based, statistics.