House Price Crash Forum

The Zeitgeist Thread

Guest X-QUORK

HOLA441
Guest X-QUORK

Every now and again a new word enters the vocabulary, or possibly an old word or phrase becomes "of the moment".

In the last few days we've all become familiar with the Vuvuzella, yet one week ago we'd all have had blank looks on our faces at the mention of such an odd word.

Previous examples:

"Something of the night about him"

"Fit for purpose"

"Quantatative easing"

The aim of this thread is to mark when a new zeitgeist word or phrase comes into being.

HOLA442

Every now and again a new word enters the vocabulary, or possibly an old word or phrase becomes "of the moment".

In the last few days we've all become familiar with the Vuvuzella, yet one week ago we'd all have had blank looks on our faces at the mention of such an odd word.

Previous examples:

"Fit for purpose"

"Quantatative easing"

The aim of this thread is to mark when a new zeitgeist word or phrase comes into being.

For me, one word which suddenly popped up into my life fairly recently is "meme"

Is this a new word, or an old word which has found new meaning due to the internet?

What does it actually mean?

HOLA443
Guest X-QUORK

For me, one word which suddenly popped up into my life fairly recently is "meme"

Is this a new word, or an old word which has found new meaning due to the internet?

I believe Richard Dawkins came up with the meme concept. A meme is a term used to describe concepts which last through long periods of time and are thought to somehow be influential to human development i.e. religion.

HOLA444

A meme is an uncountable unit of culture.

Thus an internet meme is a piece of culture derived from the internet. The unpleasant place called 4Chan develops them rather regularly (b3ta is slightly more grown up I feel)

This HPC has developed Printy printy + debt is wealth

4Chan has developed 10000s of them nasty ones like Chin Chan and don't stick it in her pooper etc.

HOLA445

Previous examples:

"Fit for purpose"

"Quantatative easing"

Outsourcing

Printy printy

Jobs apocalypse

Cnago was right

Deflation?

HOLA446

A meme is an uncountable unit of culture.

Thus an internet meme is a piece of culture derived from the internet. The unpleasant place called 4Chan develops them rather regularly (b3ta is slightly more grown up I feel)

This HPC has developed Printy printy + debt is wealth

4Chan has developed 10000s of them nasty ones like Chin Chan and don't stick it in her pooper etc.

And AWOOOOOOOOOOOOGA

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Guest X-QUORK

Yes, yes, we know all these oldies...what we want are the words that suddenly flash into the collective conscience over the space of a week or so.

Vuvuzella is a classic example.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I believe Richard Dawkins came up with the meme concept. A meme is a term used to describe concepts which last through long periods of time and are thought to somehow be influential to human development i.e. religion.

Memetics is the study of self-replicating aspects of culture. Richard Brodie's excellent book "Virus of the Mind: The Revolutionary New Science of the Meme and How It Affects You" explains.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

"App".

No one said this before the iphone. Did they? Think it was just good old fashioned "application" before...

I did, I've got a folder which has survived various incarnations from PC to PC, called apps. Loads of people had them.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I did, I've got a folder which has survived various incarnations from PC to PC, called apps. Loads of people had them.

Really? Darn. But (and I'm flogging a dead horse here clearly) perhaps only IT geeks used it before. But now its in common parlance for any old Tom, Dick or Harry with a mobile phone.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

"Right-angle turn, work smarter, not harder"

Johnathan Roth, CEO, Nortel (remember them?), about the time he cashed in CAN$135 million in shares.

Seems he did a right-angled turn, smartly trousered the cash and legged it. I think it's the "new paradigm" amonst CEO's.

Archived