House Price Crash Forum

U.s. Identifies Vast Riches Of Minerals In Afghanistan

Guest sillybear2

HOLA441
Guest sillybear2

U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

WASHINGTON — The United States has discovered nearly $1 trillion in untapped mineral deposits in Afghanistan, far beyond any previously known reserves and enough to fundamentally alter the Afghan economy and perhaps the Afghan war itself, according to senior American government officials.

The previously unknown deposits — including huge veins of iron, copper, cobalt, gold and critical industrial metals like lithium — are so big and include so many minerals that are essential to modern industry that Afghanistan could eventually be transformed into one of the most important mining centers in the world, the United States officials believe.

An internal Pentagon memo, for example, states that Afghanistan could become the “Saudi Arabia of lithium,” a key raw material in the manufacture of batteries for laptops and BlackBerrys.

[more]

--

I guess we won't be leaving for a while.

HOLA442

To open the mines you would need to know it won't be bombed or blown up.

Since i don't see the 'war' in Afghanistan being won anytime soon i don't see these resources being tapped anytime soon.

Keep pumping out that opium boys!

HOLA443

Sometimes a big powerful nation taking over can help the average local person in a place like Afghanistan. By themselves they could never get the stability, the legal system, the infrastructure and so on, to get minerals out of the ground and to the international markeplace.

But once development starts rolling it builds on itself. Like once you have roads and electricity going through an area.. all of a sudden it becomes viable to do more projects there. Once tons of money is flowing through an area all sorts of small businesses become viable. Aka national development.

HOLA444

Sometimes a big powerful nation taking over can help the average local person in a place like Afghanistan. By themselves they could never get the stability, the legal system, the infrastructure and so on, to get minerals out of the ground and to the international markeplace.

But once development starts rolling it builds on itself. Like once you have roads and electricity going through an area.. all of a sudden it becomes viable to do more projects there. Once tons of money is flowing through an area all sorts of small businesses become viable. Aka national development.

So you see nothing wrong with the slaughter of hundreds of thousands, to get the "minerals out of the ground and to the international marketplace."?

You're sick.

Surprisingly, I'm with the BNP on this. It's their country, leave them to it. None of our business. Trade is good, but war and pillage help the average person...how?

HOLA445
HOLA446
Guest sillybear2

Agreed, which is why China will walk in the day after we leave.

Edited by sillybear2

HOLA447

What happened did one of their peace-loving-peace-keeping-fighting-for-peace soldiers accidentally trip over a rich seam whilst trying to save a child?

At least they'll be able to exploit the resources for the benefit of the afghan people and bring about change and a better future and democracy and stuff.

<_<

HOLA448

So you see nothing wrong with the slaughter of hundreds of thousands, to get the "minerals out of the ground and to the international marketplace."?

You're sick.

Surprisingly, I'm with the BNP on this. It's their country, leave them to it. None of our business. Trade is good, but war and pillage help the average person...how?

Like Afghans were not exactly living in peace and harmony before the US invasion.

In the early days of colonialism people in the colonies were not quick to support rebellions against the colonial powers.. as the average person remembered the worse treatment they got at the hands of their own people.

And realized the material advances brought by the colonialists. A similiar thing is happening in Tibet today. Your average Tibetan has access to things that would not have been possible without the Chinese in there. Like the rail links with the outside world built at astonishing cost.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Like Afghans were not exactly living in peace and harmony before the US invasion.

In the early days of colonialism people in the colonies were not quick to support rebellions against the colonial powers.. as the average person remembered the worse treatment they got at the hands of their own people.

And realized the material advances brought by the colonialists. A similiar thing is happening in Tibet today. Your average Tibetan has access to things that would not have been possible without the Chinese in there. Like the rail links with the outside world built at astonishing cost.

The "we know you suffer at the hands of your local despot, so to ease your pain, we'll kill you" logic. Usually applied when the local despot (read "corporate asset") stops obeying orders.

HOLA4411
Guest sillybear2

Perhaps they could build them underground.

At least we know why Osama was digging all those caves, the guy is clearly an astute gold bug.

HOLA4412

Aha - the real reason for the war in Afghanistan. Just like the real reason for the war in Iraq.

I assume this is news to everyone on HPC?

No? Just me then. I'm so slow... :(

Maybe they found it by accident whilst digging up IEDs (Improvised Explosive devices)?

HOLA4413

At least we know why Osama was digging all those caves, the guy is clearly an astute gold bug.

slightly off topic but the guy was on a dialysis machine and living in a cave back in 2001

why do people think he is still alive? :lol:

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

To open the mines you would need to know it won't be bombed or blown up.

Since i don't see the 'war' in Afghanistan being won anytime soon i don't see these resources being tapped anytime soon.

Keep pumping out that opium boys!

They seem to manage to mine in the Congo - in the midst of an endless civil war.

If they started mining and, surprise, surprise, used some of the money to actually move the people in Afghanistan out of the Stone Age, you'd probably find support for the Taliban would collapse - nothing like electricity, running water, television and a bit of medical care to make people feel better about their lives.

HOLA4416

They seem to manage to mine in the Congo - in the midst of an endless civil war.

If they started mining and, surprise, surprise, used some of the money to actually move the people in Afghanistan out of the Stone Age, you'd probably find support for the Taliban would collapse - nothing like electricity, running water, television and a bit of medical care to make people feel better about their lives.

Yes but those things cost money, which digs into profits, it is far cheaper to have the US and British tax payer (or the printing press) to enact a brutal occupation where dissenters are bombed to silence them. Much like coal mining in China, helmets, breathing apperatus, rescue teams (the CCTV 'rescue video was faked') even roof struts all cost money. Which is why the coal miners don't have them at all and are sent to die frequently down in the mines.

HOLA4417

You're sick.

For your information NATO forces stopped the never ending civil war supporting the Northern Alliance ...

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I would love to get our soldiers out.......then we just have to hope the riches from the lithium mines.....(if it is not just a conspiricy theory), are not used to bomb the shite out of us infidels.

If the real reason for conflict in Afghanistan is the untapped resources then the western miltary machine should cordon off the mineral rich area and mine like the wind.

Once the potential to make vast fortunes has been removed there will be no motive to invade or fight civil wars and the country can return to peaceful subsistence.

Peace in Afghanistan.

Reduction of our deficits by injecting real wealth.

A win win.

Scariest thing - some politicians, particularly in the US, would not see (ie. would refuse to see) any problem with this reasoning.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Yeah... you've not seen Blood Diamond then? Or any of the other films about the congo/that part of Africa?

Afganistan is primarily in the stone age because every decade or so, someone bombs them that little bit further back into it.

HOLA4425

U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

WASHINGTON — The United States has discovered nearly $1 trillion in untapped mineral deposits in Afghanistan, far beyond any previously known reserves and enough to fundamentally alter the Afghan economy and perhaps the Afghan war itself, according to senior American government officials.

The previously unknown deposits — including huge veins of iron, copper, cobalt, gold and critical industrial metals like lithium — are so big and include so many minerals that are essential to modern industry that Afghanistan could eventually be transformed into one of the most important mining centers in the world, the United States officials believe.

An internal Pentagon memo, for example, states that Afghanistan could become the “Saudi Arabia of lithium,” a key raw material in the manufacture of batteries for laptops and BlackBerrys.

[more]

--

Quick - dump all your lithium / gold etc... right now.

http://x3etfhell.blogspot.com/2009/11/history-of-douchebags-nov-19th-2009_19.html