House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dubai

Lewis And Jason Bring Some Pride Back To Uk Sport

After the England team draw with the 'soccer' players.... well done to Lewis and Jason in the Montreal Grand Prix today.... I haven't been to one for years, but went today.... Christ those cars go quick!!

Well done lads, you did a Stirling job!!

Er... that's Jenson.... where's the embarrassed smiley???

(I can't edit for some reason....)

After the England team draw with the 'soccer' players.... well done to Lewis and Jason in the Montreal Grand Prix today.... I haven't been to one for years, but went today.... Christ those cars go quick!!

Well done lads, you did a Stirling job!!

GP is as much a real sport as, say, topclass showjumping.

Elitist, hardly anyone can take part, and the result depends a lot on what the driver/rider is sitting on.

There might be thousands of people out there potentially as good as Hamilton.

Yes, I am glad that the tax-exiles Button and Hamilton have brought pride to the UK!

Yes, Hamilton lives, in theory, not far from me. Somehow I don't think the Vaud cantonal authorities will be interested in cutting a tax deal with me though.....

Guest theboltonfury

GP is as much a real sport as, say, topclass showjumping.

Elitist, hardly anyone can take part, and the result depends a lot on what the driver/rider is sitting on.

There might be thousands of people out there potentially as good as Hamilton.

Pretty much what I want to say.

Car racing is not a sport. It's something that rich kids are given the opportunity to do.

I am firmly in the camp that F1 is a senseless bore. I know many millions disagree, but I think they're all wrong.

Car racing is not a sport. It's something that rich kids are given the opportunity to do.

I am firmly in the camp that F1 is a senseless bore. I know many millions disagree, but I think they're all wrong.

I thought it was very good of them to put Turkey, Montreal and Valencia on in the height of Summer as all 3 are amongst the most boring of racing tracks.

I love hearing the way all those who work for Bernie Ec... I mean, the BBC... try to make the incredibly tedious race tracks sound exciting when they are not. They interviewed the Shiek who built the one in the Middle East before the race a few months back and he was proud that there was only one bump in the track... but pointed out that he would get rid of it by next year... and Brundle said to him that drivers like the bumps...

Basically, they have racing tracks now with no excitement... they got rid of places like Spa which were great driving tracks... I only watch F1 for the first 5 minutes to see if there is a pile up at the start... once they get into their 'convoy' it is 2 hours of boredom unless it rains...

Valencia next - what a bland racetrack that is... so dull... but no doubt they will be trying to make it sound exciting...

Christ those cars go quick!!

Please tell me you didn't just work that out.

:)

Guest theboltonfury

I thought it was very good of them to put Turkey, Montreal and Valencia on in the height of Summer as all 3 are amongst the most boring of racing tracks.

I love hearing the way all those who work for Bernie Ec... I mean, the BBC... try to make the incredibly tedious race tracks sound exciting when they are not. They interviewed the Shiek who built the one in the Middle East before the race a few months back and he was proud that there was only one bump in the track... but pointed out that he would get rid of it by next year... and Brundle said to him that drivers like the bumps...

Basically, they have racing tracks now with no excitement... they got rid of places like Spa which were great driving tracks... I only watch F1 for the first 5 minutes to see if there is a pile up at the start... once they get into their 'convoy' it is 2 hours of boredom unless it rains...

Valencia next - what a bland racetrack that is... so dull... but no doubt they will be trying to make it sound exciting...

I have to say that I used to quite like it, when they actually did some racing. With Mansell, Prost, Senna, Patrese, Lauda etc.

Nowadays, like you say, you watch the race to see a crash and if you're lucky you'll see one overtaking manouver over the next 2 hours. That is truly dull.

I have to say that I used to quite like it, when they actually did some racing. With Mansell, Prost, Senna, Patrese, Lauda etc.

Nowadays, like you say, you watch the race to see a crash and if you're lucky you'll see one overtaking manouver over the next 2 hours. That is truly dull.

Also, the drivers used to be real men and would have a bevvy of genuinely gorgeous women on their arms...

Some of the women you see on the grid prior to the start of a race - I assume the wifes, gfs and 'friends' of the rich old men - are truly shocking. Some of them look as if they have trowelled on the make-up and are trying to immitate a brown leather handbag.

On the F1 site a few years ago they had a gallery of F1 beauties and I scrolled through loads of images before I found one that I would consider pretty.

It is so PC and marketing now also - drivers never say anything controversial.

Guest theboltonfury

Also, the drivers used to be real men and would have a bevvy of genuinely gorgeous women on their arms...

Some of the women you see on the grid prior to the start of a race - I assume the wifes, gfs and 'friends' of the rich old men - are truly shocking. Some of them look as if they have trowelled on the make-up and are trying to immitate a brown leather handbag.

On the F1 site a few years ago they had a gallery of F1 beauties and I scrolled through loads of images before I found one that I would consider pretty.

In Senna's day they would chase each other round the track and have fist fights. Sadly, no longer. PC gone mad.

The race yesterday was actually pretty good. The tyres were wearing out really quickly, so there was a lot of quick dashes into the pits for new ones and a fair bit of overtaking when you had a car on newer tyres vs. one on old ones.

Also, Michael Schumacher being a grumpy old man and doing his best to run every other driver off the road because his car wasn't fast enough was amusing.

Some of the younger drivers also seem to take more risks than over the last few years so it is getting better, slowly.

The race yesterday was actually pretty good. The tyres were wearing out really quickly, so there was a lot of quick dashes into the pits for new ones and a fair bit of overtaking when you had a car on newer tyres vs. one on old ones.

Also, Michael Schumacher being a grumpy old man and doing his best to run every other driver off the road because his car wasn't fast enough was amusing.

Some of the younger drivers also seem to take more risks than over the last few years so it is getting better, slowly.

But that is no good as a spectator sport because it means you have to watch 20 odd extremely dull races in the hope of catching one good one.... and, from my POV, yesterday was just dull.

Maybe I am too old and I do remember the days of Hunt, Senna and Co...

Having spent a short time with a girlie who worked in the strange world of F1, I can confirm that there are still plenty of beauties attracted to the multi-millionaire overgrown schoolboys that make up the scene. They're a cut above the likes of Zahia in the football world, but not exactly Grace Kelly types if you get my drift. It's still a 9-months-of-the-year sh*gfest.

The England rugby league team beat France 60-6.

We can both enjoy that.

We can both enjoy that.

Even I enjoyed that and I'm Welsh !!

Guest theboltonfury

We can both enjoy that.

Oh yes. Odd choice for them to schedule the match for the same time as the England football team though.

Please tell me you didn't just work that out.

:)

:lol:

I haven't been to a GP since the late 90's and I'd forgotten just what a thrill it is to see / hear / smell those machines close up. It just doesn't come across on the TV for some reason.

BTW, I agree with the posters who think it's been cleaned up too much, and those who lament that it's now often a procession and "overtaking" is done in the pits. Instead of trying to make the cars safer ever year, they'd be better off making some changes to some of the tracks so that we see a real race!