House Price Crash Forum

Would all the people addicted to these two, now, asinine phrases consider just posting that trype here.

I am so sick of wading through post after blinkin' post of it on any economics thread I have finally started this one.

These cliches add nothing but irritation.

The people who chatter them come across like the monkeys in Kipling's "Jungle book," ..... 'We all say it so it must be true."

If you lot had a smidge of insight of the King of the Swingers, I would not exercise myself.

But you don't.

So I have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOcyYyxqN_g

Would all the people addicted to these two, now, asinine phrases consider just posting that trype here.

I am so sick of wading through post after blinkin' post of it on any economics thread I have finally started this one.

These cliches add nothing but irritation.

The people who chatter them come across like the monkeys in Kipling's "Jungle book," ..... 'We all say it so it must be true."

If you lot had a smidge of insight of the King of the Swingers, I would not exercise myself.

But you don't.

So I have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOcyYyxqN_g

Extra, extra read all about it, internet message board poster gets narked by board specific shorthand phraseology.

Edited by Super Ted

Dangerous to admit something like this annoys you so...........the monkeys will chatter like never before......just to wind you up.

PRINTY PRINTY..........it's annoying me, but I know it's annoying you more.

PRINTY PRINTY.

one more time

PRINTY PRINTY

Guest sillybear2

Printy printy.

100% guaranteed. Protect yourself. The poisons will soon be bubbling out of the mud, because debt is wealth.

But debt is wealth.

no it isn't. Bad mixing of terms on your part ripoff.

It is a value judgement to say debt is wealth. Some people don't consider any financial asset wealth, restricting the use of that term to stuff like roads, communications, schools, knowhow etc.

if you like you could state that 'debt=net financial assets' and know that your definition is 100% correct.

repeat after me: debt equals net financial assets, debt equals net financial assets, ...

moving onto printy printy remember that all government debt is money and that printy printy is a maturity transformation of existing debt, and that no actual printing is going on, so from now on perhaps the usb-parrots could consider moving to a more useful descriptive pejorative suitable for unthinking repetition.

Or alternatively you could take the credit derivative approach. A credit derivative cannot exist without two parties - synthetic cdo's for instance were 'missold' primarily because it takes two parties to create one in the first place.

So perhaps something like "wealth is the mirror image of debt" or "debt is wealth's doppelganger".

Debt is the yin to wealth's yang ;)

Edited by Alan B'Stard MP

Guest sillybear2

moving onto printy printy remember that all government debt is money and that printy printy is a maturity transformation of existing debt, and that no actual printing is going on, so from now on perhaps the usb-parrots could consider moving to a more useful descriptive pejorative suitable for unthinking repetition.

Rolly, rolly.

Can you imagine if Gordon had access to a machine that creates gold? :o

The Spaniards once upon a time had a machine that created gold.

They called it "Peru" :)

Of course, it all ended with the Spaniards being dirt-poor peasants surrounded by amazing churches and civic buildings, wondering what happened to their empire.

Unfortunately for HPC crash-fans, the full economic cycle took several centuries to play out :(

Edited by DeepLurker

Guest sillybear2

The Spaniards once upon a time had a machine that created gold.

They called it "Peru" :)

Of course, it all ended with the Spaniards being dirt-poor peasants surrounded by amazing churches and civic buildings, wondering what happened to their empire.

Unfortunately for HPC crash-fans, the full economic cycle took several centuries to play out :(

Yeah, they suddenly discovered the concept of hyper-inflation, 10 times the amount of gold doesn't mean 10 times the number of bullocks.

no it isn't. Bad mixing of terms on your part ripoff.

It is a value judgement to say debt is wealth. Some people don't consider any financial asset wealth, restricting the use of that term to stuff like roads, communications, schools, knowhow etc.

if you like you could state that 'debt=net financial assets' and know that your definition is 100% correct.

repeat after me: debt equals net financial assets, debt equals net financial assets, ...

Not quite sure I agree, Galbraith's book on money supports the idea that money issued by banks is debt.

If you are correct what's the "I promised to pay the bearer on demand" all about then? Money is debt.

Not quite sure I agree, Galbraith's book on money supports the idea that money issued by banks is debt.

If you are correct what's the "I promised to pay the bearer on demand" all about then? Money is debt.

yes yes money is debt I agree but I was objecting to your definition of money=wealth, and by extension debt=wealth.

money is not wealth, and is not a store of value, rather it is simply a means of deferring consumption for some period and ergo a medium of exchange.

the very idea that 'actual wealth', you know those economic assets which house, feed, educate, transport and entertain us, can somehow be exchanged for tokens whether hard/shiny or fold-able which are then expected to have a stable long term representation in token form is a silly one.

it is more accurate to say that debt=information. Information about wealth but not actual wealth. Since money as you say is debt then money is therefore only information about wealth. The informational aspect allows it to be used as a means of exchange, and is also the reason why gold was abandoned - the world gold supply simply could not encode sufficient information about the economy.

Extendy, pretendy.

Lendy lendy

I don't mind these little nervous tics in posts.

Kind of the vuvuzelas of HPC.

Annoying if you pay any attention, but you never forget where you are.