House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Brits Lonelier Than Ever With Fewer Friends Than 30 Years Ago

Britons are lonelier, less neighbourly and have fewer friends than 30 years ago, a study has revealed.

The research, which examined social attitudes today compared to those of the early 1980s shows a country more 'atomised' than ever.

It also contained a warning for couples that parenthood will reduce their circle of friends.

Despite many people having hundreds of friends on Facebook and similar internet sites, true friendships can be counted on the fingers of one hand, the study found.

We are also more likely to consider our neighbours as pests and less likely to know them well speak often or lend a hand.

Common complaints include noise, anti-social behaviour, nuisance children and pets and unkempt trees and bushes.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1286277/Brits-lonelier-fewer-friends-30-years-ago-study-finds.html#ixzz0qljqjv6n

People in Wales were found to be the most neighbourly - with half speaking to their neighbours every day.

That explains why you b*ggers are all coming here!

I think it's true. My friends were mostly from my time at University. One by one we've moved away cos we had to live in a shithole sink area.

You try to keep regular contact, but with the current norms of long commutes etc., it's very hard to manage.

And now with a baby it's just harder still as we're still 150 miles from our parents, know virtually nobody where we live and can't get out much at all.

For the record...

Neither I nor any member of my family have any desire whatsoever to move to Wales. :P

Edited by Flatdog

Our neighbours suck. A couple living in the flat next door, much the same age as us, no reason we shouldn't at least get on. One week after we arrived I bumped into them as they came out of the front door. I nodded a greeting, she walked off looking at the floor. I turned to him and said "Hi!", smiling, expecting some sort of attempt at a friendly greeting in return....

"Just one point...", he started, and then launched into a lecture instructing me where he'd prefer me to park my car (there are too many spaces and its never over half full in 2 years), before walking off. Not even hello, didn't even introduce himself. I just stood there dumbfounded. I guess we must have unwittingly parked in their favourite space, no good louts that we are.

I only know their names even now because I sometimes sort out the post.. Can see where reports like this are coming from.

Our neighbours suck. A couple living in the flat next door, much the same age as us, no reason we shouldn't at least get on. One week after we arrived I bumped into them as they came out of the front door. I nodded a greeting, she walked off looking at the floor. I turned to him and said "Hi!", smiling, expecting some sort of attempt at a friendly greeting in return....

"Just one point...", he started, and then launched into a lecture instructing me where he'd prefer me to park my car (there are too many spaces and its never over half full in 2 years), before walking off. Not even hello, didn't even introduce himself. I just stood there dumbfounded. I guess we must have unwittingly parked in their favourite space, no good louts that we are.

I only know their names even now because I sometimes sort out the post.. Can see where reports like this are coming from.

that is bad. we have been lucky with our neighbours, both sides lovely people who looked after my cat when i was away on holiday feeding her everyday and even changing her litter. we got back after 3 weeks and she was miserable but porkier. the people across the road were similar to your neighbours. we saw them said hello but they were dreadful. now they are gone and the new people are a lot friendlier.

dont stop being friendly. maybe other neighbours are more responsive. it is nice to have good neighbours, people you can rely on when you need it most

I think it's true. My friends were mostly from my time at University. One by one we've moved away cos we had to live in a shithole sink area.

You try to keep regular contact, but with the current norms of long commutes etc., it's very hard to manage.

And now with a baby it's just harder still as we're still 150 miles from our parents, know virtually nobody where we live and can't get out much at all.

I don't think the cost of travel is helping. I keep in touch but the days of going away every month are over.

I'd be thinking of ways to really piss them off after that.

How much of this is because grasping public sector workers have seized the parking near many homes? The charges and fines go towards their huge salaries and bloated pensions, but your friends can't drive round and visit.

I think it's to do with areas as well, with areas close to each other differing significantly.

For example, we've moved three miles up the road to a posher area, and here nobody speaks to us, even though we try our hardest to say "hi" or "hello" when we meet our neighbours, they just completely blank us, staring down at the floor... Fekkin rude, IMO.

In our previous area, which was a little bit more working classy, I knew loads of people and it felt a lot nicer.

For example, we've moved three miles up the road to a posher area, and here nobody speaks to us, even though we try our hardest to say "hi" or "hello" when we meet our neighbours, they just completely blank us, staring down at the floor... Fekkin rude, IMO.

Could it be because you are an uncouth pleb? Perhaps they are friendly to one another, but you don't fit in?

Instead of "hi", try saying these three rhyming words: AIR HAIR LAIR Let us know how you get on...

I'd be thinking of ways to really piss them off after that.

lol believe me I've certainly had a few dark thoughts with that regard, but don't want to create conflict we're peace loving animals. We're looking to move anyway now to be closer to the girlfriend's new job (hurry up hpc). I might leave a little.. gift of some sort when we do. Any ideas? :)

People in Wales were found to be the most neighbourly - with half speaking to their neighbours every day.

Speaking as an Englishman, I've never found the Welsh to be particularly friendly neighbours :P

Edited by libspero

lol believe me I've certainly had a few dark thoughts with that regard, but don't want to create conflict we're peace loving animals. We're looking to move anyway now to be closer to the girlfriend's new job (hurry up hpc). I might leave a little.. gift of some sort when we do. Any ideas? smile.gif

Take a massive dump in his parking space one night and write "F*uck You" in it with a lollipop stick. Make doubly sure you don`t have to see him again to collect mail or anything just in case he gets tests done.

I think it's to do with areas as well, with areas close to each other differing significantly.

In our previous area, which was a little bit more working classy, I knew loads of people and it felt a lot nicer.

I think worse than them thnking you rude is... they probably think you are wierd?

If someone doesn't want to say hello back, I guess that is their 'right' - but I get a feeling all too often in the UK - if you are friendly to people they think you are strange or whatever

That is f*ckin sad IMHO

PS On a mitigating note, maybe becacuse so many people living in the UK are unfriendly, they just don't know how to react to a stanger saying "Hi" and maybe i am mistaking this ignorant attitude for shyness????

Take a massive dump in his parking space one night and write "F*uck You" in it with a lollipop stick. Make doubly sure you don`t have to see him again to collect mail or anything just in case he gets tests done.

:lol:

this is all rather depressing and not my experience

is it anything to do with everyone having tonnes of debt? unrelated? shame?

I think worse than them thnking you rude is... they probably think you are wierd?

If someone doesn't want to say hello back, I guess that is their 'right' - but I get a feeling all too often in the UK - if you are friendly to people they think you are strange or whatever

That is f*ckin sad IMHO

PS On a mitigating note, maybe becacuse so many people living in the UK are unfriendly, they just don't know how to react to a stanger saying "Hi" and maybe i am mistaking this ignorant attitude for shyness????

Yes and no. Yes, because Brits are generally friendly to strangers, but it's the need to be 'street-wise' and a bit of class snobbery thats pushes us towards 'no'.

Unfortunately, the media (I'm looking at *you*, Daily Express/Mail) present this facade that everyone is out to get you and the way British English people deal with this is to not engage with anyone on any non-superficial level. Back in the day you would know your neighbours and could trust them, but now it's better not to talk to them in case they turn out to paedophiles or immigrants stealing your jobs, etc.

To complicate things, the last 13-odd years of Labour goverment have meant that some of the ex-council types have made serious money and are now mixing with the established middle-class and that messes up the old class order and 'middle England' feels threatened by this - so better all round to not speak to these new people, in case they're worth more than you are.

Not to mention economic immigrants from the EU...

But outside of that, when I've been travelling Brits are usually pretty friendly and open to new cultures etc. More so than Americans or other Europeans. Although now I'm wondering how much of this was down to the strong pound making everything seem cheap...

To complicate things, the last 13-odd years of Labour goverment have meant that some of the ex-council types have made serious money and are now mixing with the established middle-class and that messes up the old class order and 'middle England' feels threatened by this - so better all round to not speak to these new people, in case they're worth more than you are.

but again this is complicated by debt - no-one can tell who's solvent and who's rich?

but again this is complicated by debt - no-one can tell who's solvent and who's rich?

True :) All thanks to Tony/Gordon!

We need some sort of shakeout just so everyone knows where they really stand, other wise what's the point of working hard/getting an education etc.

That's a rhetorical question btw!

Crap article , 30 years ago people had NO facebook friends and now the UK average is 419 facebook friends per facebook account!!! :lol::P

Edited by Ruffneck

People you meet have little in common with you, unless you go to a group of some kind.

otherwise, its the weather ( 20 seconds of chat) or its "look what we've got" ( the rest).

You cant even have the old icebreaker..."did you see the telly last night"..unless you watch BB or Cory, its unlikely anyone else is going to have watched what you did.

One of my daughters has few friends, the ones she had have moved and we have moved 3 miles ourselves...the other has about 10...but they are all peeling away to far away places....she herself is in France where the group she met last year is at the moment intact. I think there is much less mobility in france due to the terrible unemployment, low wages and nepotism there, so they seem to keep in touch more readily.