House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
200p

Michel Roux, Left The Uk - One Of The Reasons...

Do you own a property?

I live in a fairly big flat in a chalet in Crans-Montana — let’s call it almost 200 square metres. I bought it outright when I moved out there but I won’t talk about how much it cost — that obsession is one of the reasons I wanted to leave Britain.

My wife spends most of her time in England and so has a two-bedroom pied-à-terre in Bray. She owns that.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/money/investment/article7148812.ece

The house price obsession, makes us obnoxious.

Obsessed with dough, the Brits over-egged the pudding and now they're in a stew. Now they've got their just desserts and had their chips. A bunch of has beens. Hard cheese - salad days.

Obsessed with dough, the Brits over-egged the pudding and now they're in a stew. Now they've got their just desserts and had their chips. A bunch of has-beens. Hard cheese - salad days.

He's a multiple home owner. Let's hope CGT doesn't put him out of the frying pan, and into the fire.

You should see the Chinese channel which I occassionally catch when asked for the upteenth time to fix something for somebody the British Chinese are absolutely obsessed with property either that or TVB has nothing to show and hasn't got enough advertisers.

As during a 50 minute show there are 5 adverts each advert they show property prices +/- charts.

Funniest thing with House price inflation obsession is its the same house it always was, just with an extra zero at the end...entirely meaningless unless you are one of the <1% of the population that owns more than one home.

Well, not meaningless, it means highest council taxes, higher/longer mortgage payments, higher estate agency fees, higher taxation cost of subsidising those excluded from the market by high prices through housing benefit amongst other great benefits.

Edited by Sadman

Funniest thing with House price inflation obsession is its the same house it always was, just with an extra zero at the end...entirely meaningless unless you are one of the <1% of the population that owns more than one home.

Well, not meaningless, it means highest council taxes, higher/longer mortgage payments, higher estate agency fees, higher taxation cost of subsidising those excluded from the market by high prices through housing benefit amongst other great benefits.

HPI also makes exports less competitive. HPI infects everything.

Edited by Dave Spart

Even the reporting of the fox attack on young twins included mention of the value of the home.

As paramedics tended to gravely-injured nine-month-olds Lola and Isabella Koupparis, the officer walked around their home.

He discovered the animal standing outside the rear patio doors of the £800,000 three-storey Stoke Newington property.

and will now

have to suffer a depression to get out.

Blame Brown, blame foolish British voters

I will always wonder if we had a proper recession in 2000-1 and property measured inflation in the next 5 years if we would have escaped this. I guess up until 2000 the fundamentals of the economy looked great relative to the morass we have today.

No more boom and bust seems very a misled, even dangerous policy in hindsight.

Busts are natural, even desirable, to put a stop to malinvestment and re-balance the economy.

I guess the charge from Browns lot would be busts would mean higher unemployment, which, we, er, now have anyway.

You should see the Chinese channel which I occassionally catch when asked for the upteenth time to fix something for somebody the British Chinese are absolutely obsessed with property either that or TVB has nothing to show and hasn't got enough advertisers.

As during a 50 minute show there are 5 adverts each advert they show property prices +/- charts.

TVB, I know someone who has that. It's either cookery programmes or news mostly about the stock market.