House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Traktion

Planning Permission Requirements Eased

I was having a chat with someone who works in the planning office the other day. As we're considering building our own home, we wanted to know how easy it was to get permission to build now. He said it had been relaxed substantially and expects it to be eased again in the months ahead. Essentially, he suggested that if the farmer doesn't have a problem with you building there, then the planning office would be unlikely to have problems either. I had no idea that it had become so easy again (I only moved here after the tightening a few years ago), but as I've seen land prices with planning permission collapsing in my area, it makes a fair amount of sense.

BTW, he also added that he couldn't understand how the developers were able to sell houses still, considering how easy it was to build in the country again. Moreover, he thought both land and property would fall much more and would stay low for many years.

I thought you guys may appreciate this anecdotal, from the horses mouth, as it were! It certainly cheered me up, as we're planning on building in 2-3 years' time maybe. It looks like the market will remain very much one for the buyers!

Is this for individual building plots or large developments?

Almost every second article I see in local press around here goes along the lines of 'homeowners celebrate new housing development being refused'

For individual builds, out in the countryside. Around towns/villages/cities, I should imagine there are still a lot of planning regulations.

It was just an off the cuff conversation, so I don't have lots of details, I'm afraid! I got the impression that it was much easier to build your own place out where there is space now.

Edited by Traktion

NI planning, for building in the countryside was very lax in the past. You only have to drive around to see. In May 2006 they brought out a complete ban in the countryside. This was challanged and found to be flawed. However it wasnt overturned and instead they brought out a net PPS22 (I believe).

Whilst this is certainly easier than what has been there (the ban) it is still extreemly difficult, compared to what was the pree-2006 system.

Is this for individual building plots or large developments?

Almost every second article I see in local press around here goes along the lines of 'homeowners celebrate new housing development being refused'

So they never get to experience the horror their existing neighbours felt when their houses were approved.

Hi, does this relaxation of planning in the countryside include green belt areas?

I assume he meant in green belt areas, as near towns/villages would be subject to lots of consultation still.