House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

How To Stop Ants Coming Into My Kitchen

In the past week I am finding loads of ants, about a dozen, in my kitchen near my back door - no idea how they are getting in as the door is a plastic sealed unti jobby.

Anyhow, anyone know the best way to stop them?

I don't want to kill them if possible but am getting up chasing ants with pieces of paper, picking them up and throwing them in the garden.

I think this has stopped due to the recycling bags I now place outside my kitchen door, although when the ants have now decided to come inside is beyond me.

Ants will only go "en mass" where their scouts have found food.

Sticky sugary residue on kitchen worktops is an ant favourite.

You just need to get the marigolds out.

Guest Noodle

Dreadful problem with fire ants here.

Canderel Spoonful. Try that.

Buy ant killer powder off ebay or poundland, and empty your bins more frequently. Our kitchen is on the first floor, but when we had the bin on the ground floor we got ants. The ant powder killed thm off

Guest anorthosite

Kill them or clean up. There's plenty anti-ant products out there, but I suggest you avoid the ant powder - its horrible stuff. I had some success recently with a simple systematic insecticide sprayed around the spot they were coming in.

The 'Nippon' ant fluid is best for killing them. You only need a few drops and they'll take it back to the nest. Guaranteed they'll be gone in 48 hours.

Failing that wipe down using Jeyes fluid. Apparently they avoid it.

In the past week I am finding loads of ants, about a dozen, in my kitchen near my back door - no idea how they are getting in as the door is a plastic sealed unti jobby.

Anyhow, anyone know the best way to stop them?

I don't want to kill them if possible but am getting up chasing ants with pieces of paper, picking them up and throwing them in the garden.

I think this has stopped due to the recycling bags I now place outside my kitchen door, although when the ants have now decided to come inside is beyond me.

Leave them a bowl of sugar outside the back door. ;)

The 'Nippon' ant fluid is best for killing them. You only need a few drops and they'll take it back to the nest. Guaranteed they'll be gone in 48 hours.

Worked for me recently. No idea how they were getting in and you don't need to know as they do all the work themselves. Wasn't Nippon but I'm sure that's just as effective.

Just went into my dining room - basically tiny room next to the kitchen of the newbuild I am renting and so small that if you put a table in there you cannot sit around said table... so I use it as a store room for my excercise bike...

...and the ruddy carpet was had about 30 ants walking around... so I killed them... not good but there you go... there is an air brick outside that room so I covered that with lemon flash and have washed the kitchen floor with a strong mix of lemon flash... andp ut down a line of lemon flash across the bottom of the rear door/floor.

Thanks for all the tips... I will see how I get on.

Those plants look good but why would ants climb up into them?

Worked for me recently. No idea how they were getting in and you don't need to know as they do all the work themselves. Wasn't Nippon but I'm sure that's just as effective.

Where did you buy this from - just checked B&Q and Homebase and neither sell it?

Just went into my dining room - basically tiny room next to the kitchen of the newbuild I am renting and so small that if you put a table in there you cannot sit around said table... so I use it as a store room for my excercise bike...

...and the ruddy carpet was had about 30 ants walking around... so I killed them... not good but there you go... there is an air brick outside that room so I covered that with lemon flash and have washed the kitchen floor with a strong mix of lemon flash... andp ut down a line of lemon flash across the bottom of the rear door/floor.

Thanks for all the tips... I will see how I get on.

A kettle and some boiling water. ;)

Guest anorthosite

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarracenia

The insects are attracted by a nectar-like secretion on the lip of pitchers, as well as a combination of color and scent. Slippery footing at the pitchers' rim, aided in at least one species by a narcotic drug lacing the nectar, causes insects to fall inside, where they die and are digested by the plant as a nutrient source.

Guest theboltonfury

Giant-Anteater.jpg

To be honest Scunnered, I have no idea how Sarah Jessica-Parker could be of any use here?

I tried that and the ones in my lawn loved it. Turns out they are yellow meadow ants, not your common black ant, have to put up with my lawn being a bit of a mess at this time of year.

Harbour Lad's Henry the Hoover 1

Ants marching round my kitchen 0

Sorted - job's a good 'un!

The Nippon powder does work as someone previously stated as they take it back to the nest. The road where I live has got patches of sand all over the pavements where the little feckers have been excavating it out of the cracks between the bricks.