House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AteMoose

Have You Bought A Vuvuzela?

Hopefully they get banned, as now seems possible. I've just given up watching Serbia Ghana because it was unbearable with the sound on and dull with it off.

A glimmer of hope

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5ghUbctrzM88GqP_A_qJZppPbhjVw

World Cup organiser mulls vuvuzela ban (AFP) – 1 hour ago

JOHANNESBURG — World Cup organising committee head Danny Jordaan on Sunday did not rule out banning vuvuzelas, the noisy plastic trumpets which have proved a hit with fans in South Africa but threaten to deafen players and viewers alike.

Criticism of the vuvuzelas has been almost as loud as the instruments themselves with broadcasting companies complaining the din is almost drowning out commentary.

"We've tried to get some order," said Jordaan.

"We have asked for no vuvuzelas during national anthems or during stadium announcements. I know it's a difficult question," he added, saying that "we're trying to manage the best we can.

"We heard from the broadcasters and individuals and it's something we are evaluating on an on-going base.

Jordaan told the BBC in an interview that he had to consider the option of banning the trumpets.

"If there are grounds to do so, yes," he said, asked if a ban was an option.

France captain Patrice Evra said the incessant noise was a factor in his side's poor display in their draw with Uruguay.

According to Evra: "We can't sleep at night because of the vuvuzelas. People start playing them from 6 a.m. We can't hear one another out on the pitch because of them," the Frenchman added.

Jordaan said: "I would prefer singing" and called on fans to chant instead.

"In the days of the struggle (against apartheid) we were singing, all through our history. It's our ability to sing that inspired and drove the emotions."

have you, mine isnt big but it is impressive. Missus hid it from me last night :( but I will find it...

Unlucky chap, my misses was blowing mine this morning :)

Wow! I hadn't heard these in action before, but I turned on the TV for a quick listen a while ago. It was like being trapped in a beehive.

I have a carnival whistle, given me by a Brazilian. It rivals the legendary Acme Thunderer.

I will only blow it when England put in an impressive performance.

It remains unblown....

Guest anorthosite

It remains unblown....

Like last night's goal keeper.

Guest X-QUORK

I'd like to think we'll be issuing a comb and some tracing paper to spectators during the 2012 olympics.

Let's keep things British.

Guest anorthosite

I'd like to think we'll be issuing a comb and some tracing paper to spectators during the 2012 olympics.

Let's keep things British.

And some spoons.

with broadcasting companies complaining the din is almost drowning out commentary

Almost?

Try harder says I.

I quite fancy one to annoy the neighbours, but to be honest I wouldn't know where to look to buy one.... well eBay I suppose :rolleyes:

Don`t bother buying one, just turn the TV volume up a bit during a match.

Don`t bother buying one, just turn the TV volume up a bit during a match.

yeah, and record it on the ipod....then amplify and repeat in the car...yeah!

yeah, and record it on the ipod....then amplify and repeat in the car...yeah!

Funnily enough, there is already an app for a virtual vuvuzela... My better half has it on his iphone and is annoying me with it.

Funnily enough, there is already an app for a virtual vuvuzela... My better half has it on his iphone and is annoying me with it.

its annoying me just thinking about what he's doing to you.

Guest anorthosite

its annoying me just thinking about what he's doing to you.

hoff1.jpg

Jordaan said: "I would prefer singing" and called on fans to chant instead.

"In the days of the struggle (against apartheid) we were singing, all through our history. It's our ability to sing that inspired and drove the emotions."

Footie fans singing?

I'd rather they took up the bag pipes!

it's just a cheaply made moulded plastic tube , who cares if it's a 'real one' or a knockoff :lol:

the things are bloody annoying anyway = ban them!

Guest Skinty

Wow! I hadn't heard these in action before, but I turned on the TV for a quick listen a while ago. It was like being trapped in a beehive.

Watched my first match yesterday (Germany vs Australia) and it brought back horrible memories of a big black cloud of highland midges hovering outside my tent in the morning.

Would be great to go among the crowd all blowing a vuvuzela and drown them all out with a tuba or a set of bagpipes blown tunelessly. You never know. You might start an arms race,

In defence of the vuvuzela

Watched my first match yesterday (Germany vs Australia) and it brought back horrible memories of a big black cloud of highland midges hovering outside my tent in the morning.

Would be great to go among the crowd all blowing a vuvuzela and drown them all out with a tuba or a set of bagpipes blown tunelessly. You never know. You might start an arms race,

In defence of the vuvuzela

I've always thought that if they'd filled Hampden Park with bagpipes players in the days when England used to play Scotland, England would never have stood a chance, they'd have been both deafened and intimidated.

That horrible drone capped off by the wailing high notes - 30 of them is enough to drive you mad, imagine 30,000.

Guest Skinty

I've always thought that if they'd filled Hampden Park with bagpipes players in the days when England used to play Scotland, England would never have stood a chance, they'd have been both deafened and intimidated.

That horrible drone capped off by the wailing high notes - 30 of them is enough to drive you mad, imagine 30,000.

And that's why it's an instrument of war :)