House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Supermarket Sales Hit By Economy Fears

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/7823379/Supermarket-sales-hit-by-economy-fears.html

Tesco and J Sainsbury, two of the UK's largest supermarkets, are both likely to confirm that sales across the supermarket sector have slowed markedly when they release trading updates this week.

Tesco, which shocked the market last week with news of the surprise departure of its chief executive, Sir Terry Leahy, is expected to say on Tuesday that like-for-like sales over its first quarter rose by between zero and 1.5pc, according to analysts' forecasts. Some analysts have speculated that the figure could even fall. Clive Black, retail analyst at Shore Capital, said that he expects sales to be "flattish", between -0.5pc to 0.5pc.

Meanwhile, Sainsbury's is expected to say on Wednesday that like-for-like sales, including VAT, rose by between 0.5pc and 1pc over its first quarter. Excluding VAT, like-for-like sales are expected to have fallen by between 0.3pc and 0.5pc, according to some analysts' forecasts.

Supermarkets across the board have been hit recently by rising petrol prices and the removal of food inflation from the market.

Just a year ago Tesco was seeing like-for-like sales growth of around 4pc while Sainsbury's was seeing like-for-like sales growth of 7.8pc.

Bank of America Merrill Lynch said in a note to clients last week that Tesco and Sainsbury's are "living with thin UK like-for-like sales".

The growth they where getting was unsustainable, but are they talking down the figures so when they are released everyone is then like they are better than expected or will they be really dire?

Well there was a report out last month that stated the UK was going through it's highest level of inflation since 1991.

If the supermarkets can't get an increase in sales with that kind of inflation that infers a serious drop off in spending in the past couple months.

The growth they where getting was unsustainable, but are they talking down the figures so when they are released everyone is then like they are better than expected or will they be really dire?

Where I am in Australia at the moment, the media is saying everything is wonderful and we are entering a new conrunucopian age.

Mrs D'oh tells me that the customers' conversations at her place of work centre on the need for home schooling, given the dire state of public education, and the fact that all the shops and restaurants are struggling (lots of restaurants buy their produce from where she works.) The main shopping centre has its first empty shops since it was built 25 years ago.

The public "know."

Where I am in Australia at the moment, the media is saying everything is wonderful and we are entering a new conrunucopian age.

Mrs D'oh tells me that the customers' conversations at her place of work centre on the need for home schooling, given the dire state of public education, and the fact that all the shops and restaurants are struggling (lots of restaurants buy their produce from where she works.) The main shopping centre has its first empty shops since it was built 25 years ago.

The public "know."

Do you think Oz is about to enter a serious downturn?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/7823379/Supermarket-sales-hit-by-economy-fears.html

The UK market is now saturated. Tesco (no matter how much you may disapprove of their methods) have been an amazing success in the UK, but the scope for further growth is very limited (even if the recession ebbs away). They've missed the chance to really expand in Europe, and now find the likes of Carrefour have cleaned up there.

Do you think Oz is about to enter a serious downturn?

I think people are very stretched and I don't think there is much more room for credit fueled growth. Perhaps that is enough to cause things to unravel, especially if we lose control of interest rates. However, I suspect it really comes down to what is going on in China. Is it a basket case, or is it just going to keep growing for the foreseeable future?

They are talking down the figures because they fear VAT on food and hike in alcohol taxes.....people only have so much to spend on food, they are wising up to how to spend wisely to save money (and have fun), the more they grow the less they spend, buy in bulk at the right places, bought 4 kilos of toms for £2 this week at the market, there are bargains out there, not all of them are in the supermarkets, cook healthy food when there is a glut and freeze it. ;)

This madness of every company having to make higher profits than the last quarter continues.

Who benefits?

The bankers.

The boards of the companies who get big bonuses.

People who hold the shares.

Anyone seen the quality of clothing that many of the well-known shops are selling these days - gone down considerably. Prices up, quality down.

This madness of every company having to make higher profits than the last quarter continues.

Who benefits?

The bankers.

The boards of the companies who get big bonuses.

People who hold the shares.

Anyone seen the quality of clothing that many of the well-known shops are selling these days - gone down considerably. Prices up, quality down.

Not only price & quantity.....quantity is the biggest con at the moment, you are getting less for the same or even more...less biscuits in the packet.....I like Ryvita but noticed the size is smaller than it used to be...judge value for money by the weight. ;)

Not only price & quantity.....quantity is the biggest con at the moment, you are getting less for the same or even more...less biscuits in the packet.....I like Ryvita but noticed the size is smaller than it used to be...judge value for money by the weight. ;)

I've noticed a couple of things... large eggs seem to have got smaller... buy a box of large eggs in most ofthe supermarkets nowadays and they are what I would call medium... and medium have become small... in turn, the very large eggs are now what the large size used to be.

M&S sell 2 roast chicken leg portions in a carton - you can buy 3 cartons for a fiver - but in recent months I have noticed that the size of the portions no longer fills the carton. Much smaller IMPO.

Went to buy a pair of stone chinos in M&S this week, £35, and could not believe how thin the material was. I felt my finger-nails would go through them and I could not see them surviving many washes and ironings.

Weight is a poor measure these days along with volume or ml as with liquids they can merely add water.

Labour also changed the rules a few years ago saying meat producers no longer have to declare how much water has been added just the fact it has been added or not. I remember the last chicken fillet I bought from a supermarket, poked it with a knife and it deflated instantly with all the water tumbled into it.

Beef burgers have more and more bread crumbles and whey in them, sauces have more and more water in them. The double strength squash for example is about the same strength as the standard squash as in the old days, the standard stuff you have to put 4 times as much in to get the same effect.

Tins o corned beef I open are more and more fat than beef.

Tins of beans have quietly fallen from 450 grammes to 415 grammes

bread now comes in 700 gramme packs used to be 800.

The list goes on and on.

Weight is a poor measure these days along with volume or ml as with liquids they can merely add water.

Labour also changed the rules a few years ago saying meat producers no longer have to declare how much water has been added just the fact it has been added or not. I remember the last chicken fillet I bought from a supermarket, poked it with a knife and it deflated instantly with all the water tumbled into it.

Beef burgers have more and more bread crumbles and whey in them, sauces have more and more water in them. The double strength squash for example is about the same strength as the standard squash as in the old days, the standard stuff you have to put 4 times as much in to get the same effect.

Tins o corned beef I open are more and more fat than beef.

Tins of beans have quietly fallen from 450 grammes to 415 grammes

bread now comes in 700 gramme packs used to be 800.

The list goes on and on.

I have noticed that tins of beans are now no longer brimming to the top. Used to open a tin and the beans were crammed in but now you get about a cm gap between the lid and the beans. Lots more liquid also.

"Confidence" is an essential part of economic activity.

Camoron's whingeing and dire predictions are self-fulfilling. No-one will want to spend when thay are told that they face cuts, cuts, cuts.

As spending, personal spending, falls, so do VAT receipts and employment and its tax revenues.

Recession is being engineered by Libcon for its political ends.

I have noticed that tins of beans are now no longer brimming to the top. Used to open a tin and the beans were crammed in but now you get about a cm gap between the lid and the beans. Lots more liquid also.

Think yerself lucky! I opened a tin of heinz and it was 1/4 filled with watery sauce, Heinz bet they think they are being clever, except I'll probably never buy any of their products again, as their smegging mushroom soup (which goes well when made into a udon noodle soup) fell out of the can like a minstrone soup all watery when almost all prior cream soups would require scrapping the inside of the can.

How long till somebody can sue Heinz when they open a tin of beans and fine ONE bean in it and get them on false advertising?

Edited by ken_ichikawa

Where's the profit in making things that last ten years before they need replacing? :(

In recent years I've found most women's jeans in high street shops for £20-40+ are cotton/elastane blends with a much thinner fabric that wear out around three times as fast as a decent pair of 100% cotton jeans. It's nearly impossible to find 100% cotton ones aimed at women any more.

Also don't think you are always getting a bargain by buying a greater quantity.....worked out that it was cheaper buying four cans of beer by volume than buying twelve cans....also note the difference in what you get between the cans and bottles. ;)

Think yerself lucky! I opened a tin of heinz and it was 1/4 filled with watery sauce, Heinz bet they think they are being clever, except I'll probably never buy any of their products again, as their smegging mushroom soup (which goes well when made into a udon noodle soup) fell out of the can like a minstrone soup all watery when almost all prior cream soups would require scrapping the inside of the can.

How long till somebody can sue Heinz when they open a tin of beans and fine ONE bean in it and get them on false advertising?

Heinz baked beans have gone downhill remarkably IMPO - bought a 4-pack a few weeks back and the tase was lousy. Quantity and quality wise. Branston ones are nice and, surprisingly, M&S ones are good value.

Sorry guys, food is cheap.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/foodwewaste_fullreport08_05_08.pdf

“UK households waste 6.7 million tonnes of food every year, around one third of the 21.7 million tonnes we

purchase. Most of this food waste is currently collected by local authorities (5.9 million tonnes or 88%). Some

of this will be recycled but most is still going to landfill where it is liable to create methane, a powerful

greenhouse gas. The remaining 800,000 tonnes is composted by people at home, fed to animals or tipped

down the sink.

Most of the food we throw away (4.1 million tonnes or 61%) is avoidable and could have been eaten if it had

been managed better. Truly unavoidable food waste, like vegetable peelings, meat carcasses and teabags,

accounts for 1.3 million tonnes a year or 19% of the total, with the remainder being ‘possibly avoidable’ food

waste – items such as bread crusts that some people choose not to eat and potato skins which can be eaten

when food is prepared in certain ways but not in others.

The type of avoidable food we waste in the largest quantity is potato; 359,000 tonnes of potato goes uneaten

every year, including 177,400 tonnes of potatoes thrown away whole and untouched (49%). Other commonly

wasted types of food are slices of bread (328,000 tonnes a year), apples (190,000 tonnes including 178,800

tonnes thrown away whole and untouched), and meat and fish meals (161,000 tonnes).

The food that is bought and then thrown away uneaten in the greatest proportion is salad; in the UK 45% by

weight of all purchased salad is thrown away (60% by cost). Other foods that are wasted in high proportions

include bakery items (31% of that purchased is thrown away) and fruit (26% of that purchased is thrown

away).

Nearly half (46%) of the avoidable food we throw away is in a fresh, raw or minimally processed state, with

an additional 27% thrown away having been cooked or prepared in some way and 20% ready to consume

when purchased. Starchy foods are most commonly thrown away after being prepared, with 45,000 tonnes of

rice, 33,000 tonnes of pasta and 105,000 tonnes of potato thrown away each year, suggesting people prepare

too much.

Over one quarter of the avoidable food thrown away each year (nearly 1.2 million tonnes) is thrown away still

in its packaging, either opened or unopened.

Nearly 1 million tonnes of food is thrown away whole or unopened; this is nearly one quarter of all avoidable

food waste. Foods most commonly thrown away whole are individual items of fruit; 2.9 billion items are

thrown away every year. Vegetables and bakery items are also routinely thrown away whole and untouched;

1.9 billion whole vegetables are thrown away each year and 1.2 million bakery items.

Items of note that are thrown away whole and unused include:

Grapes (4.8 billion a year)

Potatoes (1.9 billion a year)

Apples (1.6 billion as year)

Slices of bread (2.6 billion a year)

Tomatoes (1 billion a year)

etc... "

Potatoes, Bread, Apples, Meat and Fish. This ain't Parma Ham, it's basics and staples.

Oh and obesity levels. http://www.ic.nhs.uk/pubs/opadjan08

“In 2006, 24 per cent of adults (aged 16 or over) in England were classified as obese. This represents an overall increase from 15 per cent in 1993”

I know BMI is flawed indicator, as technically I'm obese, at 10% BF, but a wander down any high street in England and it's painfully obvious that those 24% aren't all bodybuilders.

Heinz baked beans have gone downhill remarkably IMPO - bought a 4-pack a few weeks back and the tase was lousy. Quantity and quality wise. Branston ones are nice and, surprisingly, M&S ones are good value.

A known name now means very little....find out what you like and stick to it...until it changes, then find another. ;)

Sorry guys, food is cheap.

s.

I think the distribution is closer to like debt, I have no debt so some other so and so must have my portion of debt. And similarly I don't waste food (people find it gross when I boil carcasses to make stock)

I think the distribution is closer to like debt, I have no debt so some other so and so must have my portion of debt. And similarly I don't waste food (people find it gross when I boil carcasses to make stock)

Never waste any food....I have always found it tastes better the following day. ;)

It's a 237 page document and the correlation with socio economic factors are hardly shocking.

"Households where the head of household is dependent on the state waste the most while households where the head of household is professional waste the least. However, it is apparent that this finding arises because the households with a lower disposable income have a greater likelihood of comprising of families with children under 16 years."

That should get the DM brigade frothing.

Where's the profit in making things that last ten years before they need replacing? :(

In recent years I've found most women's jeans in high street shops for £20-40+ are cotton/elastane blends with a much thinner fabric that wear out around three times as fast as a decent pair of 100% cotton jeans. It's nearly impossible to find 100% cotton ones aimed at women any more.

A couple of pairs of shorts I bought 20 years ago just wore out, together with a couple of pairs of shorts I bought 2 years ago. The 2 year old shorts were a premium brand, so ostensibly "better" than the 20 year old ones..

Also don't think you are always getting a bargain by buying a greater quantity.....worked out that it was cheaper buying four cans of beer by volume than buying twelve cans....also note the difference in what you get between the cans and bottles. ;)

ASDA

4 cans £2.18

12 cans in a crate, £8+

??

Bottle of port 70cl £x/L

Bottle of port 50cl £(x-10p)/L

Sausages

6 for £1

8 for £1.50

15 for£3

The lists go on.

They even list the price per Litre/kg on the price tags on the shelves. I noticed this after working it out, but most people ignore them.

A couple of pairs of shorts I bought 20 years ago just wore out, together with a couple of pairs of shorts I bought 2 years ago. The 2 year old shorts were a premium brand, so ostensibly "better" than the 20 year old ones..

When you bought them were they put in a bag with string handles....money for old rope. ;)