House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ash4781

Poor Mobile Signal On Orange

I have in the past few months been having a poor mobile signal on Orange. Friends have been experiencing similar on this network.

In the press in reference to O2 seem to suggest that mobile internet use has been overloading the networks (Iphone is mentioned and other smart phones )

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/jun/11/mobile-data-unlimited-end

http://blog.o2.co.uk/home/2010/06/offering-fair-and-transparent-access-to-mobile-data.html

Any one else experienced service deteriorating on Orange over the past few months?

I have noticed a massive deterioration of Oranges 3G connectivity in Central London over the past 3 months or so.

It looks like a contention issue but Orange won't admit to it, I have to use 2G to connect my mobile internet which is poor really.

I'm having to rely more and more on 3G for internet connectivity as my BT Broadband is so cr*p. For the past few days Youtube has been unusable and the few test downloads I've done have been around the 10-25 kb/s speeds I've not seen since I first became an ADSL user nearly 10 years ago. I no longer use Oranges, 3G service (well not much anyway). "Three" now generally gives the best reception. Perhaps if someone could fix BT (who are beyond useless IMO) then maybe the 3G network wouldn't be getting so overloaded. Then again the 3G carriers have been promoting mobile broadband as an alternative to fixed line broadband.

I'm surprised you can get any mobile signal from an orange!!

I've just tried a banana but no luck. I suggest you use a mobile telephone.

I have noticed a massive deterioration of Oranges 3G connectivity in Central London over the past 3 months or so.

It looks like a contention issue but Orange won't admit to it, I have to use 2G to connect my mobile internet which is poor really.

I have an orange and a 3 mobile.  I would agree about the comments on Orange, indeed sometimes even normal phone reception has become difficult.

The signal and data speeds on 3 are generally much better, though unfortunately not quite as good in my new house as the old one which had line of site to a 3 mast - there my 3 service was  faster than my BT broadband line (admittedly it was a rubbish broadband line).

I have in the past few months been having a poor mobile signal on Orange. Friends have been experiencing similar on this network.

At a remote Dartmoor pub last Saturday (June 6th). Got an incoming call from a friend who was due to meet up with us, but signal was too poor: couldn't hear a word she was saying. That's on my network, O2. So we investigated other networks. J. on Vodafone had nothing. But S. on Orange was able to call our friend back and ascertain that she was unwell and not joining us.

Afaict it's something of a lottery no matter where you are. B***** daft that they have to separate the networks: bit like having competing road networks! Even the bloomin' banks let you use each others' ATMs!

Orange used to be crap where I am but now it's good.

I know people who have complained before and their reception has got better. Maybe they can boost the signal on the transmitter or something.

At the end of the day I guess it's a numbers game. If I was running that business and got a lot of complaints about reception/speeds in a particular area being poor those would be the areas I would target for infrastructure improvements, so the best thing to do is probably ring up and complain, and try to get everyone near you to do the same.

Here on the Isle of Wight, my orange has been dropping out badly several times a day in an area where, over the last 14 years, the signal has been excellent.

I have experience of using most networks. Mobile phone coverage is a difficult issue because the signal can get blocked very easily - particularly at the 3G frequencies but local metallic objects. Overall though I would say that Vodaphone has the best coverage and best 3G network.

I am currently with O2 and moved to them from Vodaphone because of their unlimited data plan.... well it seemed a good idea at the time though!! Data aside, I have found O2's general coverage particularly in the remoter areas, to be inferior to Vodaphones.