House Price Crash Forum
Mr Tickle

Banging My Head Against The Wall ..

Just been on the phone to a mate of mine in yorkshire, I know him pretty well, was just chatting about what we are doing at the weekend, I told him tomorrow I and the missus are going to view some property's (dont panic not buying, just going for a nosey and gauge sentiment).

Told him I had seen somewhere I liked with 3 acres of land, but it was still out of reach by 50k, it had however sold.Said I needed prices to fall more yet before I buy.....

You should have heard the reply .... they're going up like a rollercoaster here mate still, blah blah blah ....... bought this one for 210, four doors down is up for 250 and needs loads doing ...... prices here wil never go down ... there is a protective bubble around here you know blah blah blah .......

Unreal, yet this is the type that when they do change their mind is a signal for me too enter the market.

There are 100's of thousands of people like this still, and till we get BBC 1 prime time TV TELLING them that their house is now only worth XYZ will they beleive it.

The fact that if he had to go out and get on the housing ladder now, he couldn't do it, he'd be able to ~maybe~ afford a horrible little one bed flat somewhere to raise his family, this fact doesn't even enter his head..

Oh and again this is also the type (joe average) that will sit and claim values to have fallen in a 12 month period, giving the 'crash' effect.

The fact that by the time they wake up to it its been going on fo yeasr will merely be over looked ....... and I AM looking forward to saying told you so ...especially to him :lol:

Just been on the phone to a mate of mine in yorkshire, I know him pretty well, was just chatting about what we are doing at the weekend, I told him tomorrow I and the missus are going to view some property's (dont panic not buying, just going for a nosey and gauge sentiment).

Told him I had seen somewhere I liked with 3 acres of land, but it was still out of reach by 50k, it had however sold.Said I needed prices to fall more yet before I buy.....

You should have heard the reply .... they're going up like a rollercoaster here mate still, blah blah blah ....... bought this one for 210, four doors down is up for 250 and needs loads doing ...... prices here wil never go down ... there is a protective bubble around here you know blah blah blah .......

Unreal, yet this is the type that when they do change their mind is a signal for me too enter the market.

There are 100's of thousands of people like this still, and till we get BBC 1 prime time TV TELLING them that their house is now only worth XYZ will they beleive it.

The fact that if he had to go out and get on the housing ladder now, he couldn't do it, he'd be able to ~maybe~ afford a horrible little one bed flat somewhere to raise his family, this fact doesn't even enter his head..

Oh and again this is also the type (joe average) that will sit and claim values to have fallen in a 12 month period, giving the 'crash' effect.

The fact that by the time they wake up to it its been going on fo yeasr will merely be over looked ....... and I AM looking forward to saying told you so ...especially to him  :lol:

yep, virtually everyone I talk to about a possible crash has some magical reason why prices won't drop where they are. Very annoying! :angry:

Guest Riser

I am in Cumbria and am not surprised by your mates response. The last bubble never really got going up here so didn't have a chance to compete its full cycle. It left people feeling possitive about property as much of the correction was eaten away by inflation so there was little evidence of falling prices.

Of course this time the North has been more in step with the national bubble and have hit new highs of 50% above the long term trend, when the crash ripples out from London and reaches here the scale of the falls is going to shock many.

Edited by Riser

yep, virtually everyone I talk to about a possible crash has some magical reason why prices won't drop where they are. Very annoying!  :angry:

Atleast you get reasons for why it wont crash, ive had this conversation with more than one person.

ME: (paraphrase) house prices should crash, people cant afford them, no new money, pyramid selling, historically low rates, inflation creeping up, debt at an all time high, nieve chav mindsets, possible credit crunch, no FTB'rs, massive rise in MEW, unemployment rising.

THEM: "prices wont crash"

ME: " what makes you think that"

THEM: " I dont know i just cant see it happening, but they definatly wont crash"

ME: "So even with all that ive just said about you still dont think that prices will even drop?"

THEM: "nah i just cant see it happening"

They never offer even one single reason for it not crashing / correcting.

I am in Cumbria and am not surprised by your mates response. The last bubble never really got going up here so didn't have a chance to compete its full cycle. It left people feeling possitive about property as much of the correction was eaten away by inflation so there was little evidence of falling prices.

Of course this time the North has been more in step with the national bubble and have hit new highs of 50% above the long term trend, when the crash ripples out from London and reaches here the scale of the falls is going to shock many.

I too have tried to warn friends and family in the far reaches of the country of the wave coming towards them (which has already started in London).

Unfortunately the concept is alien and rarely sinks in. My sister did take some notice, although this was combined with the fact that what she could afford on £20k (she's a nurse, btw) was in a complete shithole.

yep, virtually everyone I talk to about a possible crash has some magical reason why prices won't drop where they are. Very annoying!  :angry:

I know this really irritates me!! GIVE ME A REASON OTHER THAN 'The government won't let it happen' - PLEASE!!!

Same in Doncaster; prices won't crash, but instead will go up further because:

a) we have an Airport, and

B) we have a University....

and,.err, this means Westminster-style houseprices in 2-3 years time in Donny :huh:

Groan....

(a Bull i know caught onto that V.I article about Uni towns booming in price from a week or two ago, and he believes it! :ph34r: )

Edited by A Fool & His Borrowed Money