House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Pale Rider

Saudi Arabia Gives Israel Clear Skies To Attack Iranian Nuclear Sites

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/article7148555.ece

Saudi Arabia has conducted tests to stand down its air defences to enable Israeli jets to make a bombing raid on Iran’s nuclear facilities, The Times can reveal.

In the week that the UN Security Council imposed a new round of sanctions on Tehran, defence sources in the Gulf say that Riyadh has agreed to allow Israel to use a narrow corridor of its airspace in the north of the country to shorten the distance for a bombing run on Iran.

To ensure the Israeli bombers pass unmolested, Riyadh has carried out tests to make certain its own jets are not scrambled and missile defence systems not activated. Once the Israelis are through, the kingdom’s air defences will return to full alert.

Arabs siding with the Jewish state against Arabs...?? Be interesting to see where this leads.

Iranians aren't considered to be Arabs by Arabs though. They are also a different kind of Muslim (I forget) and thus not the true muslims of Saudi and thus they are ok with killing them. It is pretty similar to the 10 commandments which only applies to Jews and other jews not gentiles.

Arabs siding with the Jewish state against Arabs...?? Be interesting to see where this leads.

Revolution in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

You'd be rightly shot in Iran for calling them Arabs - they aint - they're persians.

Massive cultural difference and it's fair to say that they hate each other more than they hate the jews.

Then there's the whole Sunni/Shia thing. And THAT's a whole mess of worms

Iranians aren't considered to be Arabs by Arabs though. They are also a different kind of Muslim (I forget) and thus not the true muslims of Saudi and thus they are ok with killing them. It is pretty similar to the 10 commandments which only applies to Jews and other jews not gentiles.

What do you mean "aren't considered to be Arabs by Arabs"?

They certainly are not considred to be Arabs by anybody that has a clue about the world.

Do you think they speak Arabic too? My goodness I am shocked.

What do you mean "aren't considered to be Arabs by Arabs"?

They certainly are not considred to be Arabs by anybody that has a clue about the world.

Do you think they speak Arabic too? My goodness I am shocked.

Dragon seems to think they are arabs, and no they speak Farsi, I know because I was considering the low route through to India but this would require a carnet for Pakistan and India as well as 2 shipping legs (read expensive)

I think the saudi one is a regional power-play.

The saudi's have no particular liking for iran either,or syria for that matter.

I don't think they would be too displeased if both were neutralised....it would give them pretty much total hegemony on the arab peninsula.

I wouldn't expect direct assistance,but certainly they would be ok with a bit of logistical support.

should a land invasion of iran happen,I think we'd see something similar to the line they toed with iraq/kuwait.

....like green light to be used as a staging post.

..not so sure turkey will be so accomodative this time around.

War, huh, yeah. What is it good for? Absolutely nothing! Uh-huh!

;)

In fairness to some of the posters, I don't think that the details of cultures etc in that part of the world are well known at all to outsiders. I would not know what on earth the differences would be between iran and syria or saudi either. A lot of english people come to NI and will ask me whether we use Euros and if they need to bring an adaptor plug. Should it really surprise you that most people don't know about Iran and co.?

It's sunnis siding with Israel against shi'ites. Massive difference.

Pro zionist media is on full spin, Saudi may not stand Iran but are in no poistion to help Israel, they struggling to survive themselves, like most of pro American Arab dictators.

Lovely.

Saudi Arabia denies flight deal against Iran

Riyadh dismisses as slanderous a report that Israel will be allowed to use its airspace to attack Iran

By Duraid Al Baik, Associate Editor

Published: 23:54 June 12, 2010

Dubai: Gulf states will not support any military action against Iran despite being wary about its nuclear programme, analysts said on Saturday.

"Saudi Arabia will not cooperate with Israel or any other country to attack Iran. We have always advocated a peaceful solution to the Iran crisis," Dr Abdul Aziz Hamad of King Saud University told Gulf News.

Saudi and US defence officials were quoted in a report in The Times as saying that Riyadh will allow Israeli jets to use its airspace if Tel Aviv decides to attack Iranian nuclear facilities.

"The Saudis have given their permission for the Israelis to pass over and they will look the other way," the London-based newspaper said, quoting a US defence source.

No support

"They have already done tests to make sure their own jets aren't scrambled and no one gets shot down. This has all been done with the agreement of the [uS] State Department," the report said, quoting an unnamed Saudi official.

However, experts said although Gulf states continue to be concerned about Iran's designs, they would not support any military action against the Islamic republic.

Riad Kahwaji, General Director of the Dubai-based Institute for Near East and Gulf Military Analysis, said the "[Times] report, in my opinion, is part of the psychological warfare between Iran and the US, because there is no need for Saudi-Israeli cooperation to allow the Jewish state to attack Iran."

He said Israel has the capability to attack the four main nuclear targets. "Israel's Dolphin submarines are equipped with cruise missiles capable of hitting the nuclear facilities.

"Three Israeli submarines, which most probably will be used in any military confrontation, are now in the Gulf waters," Kahwaji said.

"In addition to its submarines, Israel has facilities to evade radars and it has refuelling capabilities to fly over the Red Sea," he added.

Dr Mohammad Al Naqbi, Head of the Gulf Negotiation Centre in Abu Dhabi, said there is no doubt that the situation in the Gulf is quite critical and Israel might take advantage of it. But this does not mean the GCC would support the attack or cooperate with Israel, he said.

"In addition to its sub-marines, Israel has facilities to evade radars and it has refuelling capabilities to fly over the Red Sea," he added.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/saudi-arabia/saudi-arabia-denies-flight-deal-against-iran-1.640398

Saudis knows very well that it would cost them their lives if public found out that they are conspiring with Israelis.

Prince warns S. Arabia of apocalypse

Saudi Prince Turki bin Abdul Aziz Al Saud has warned the country's royal family to step down and flee before a military coup or a popular uprising overthrows the kingdom.

In a letter published by Wagze news agency on Tuesday, the Cairo-based prince warned Saudi Arabia's ruling family of a fate similar to that of Iraq's executed dictator Saddam Hussein and the ousted Iranian Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, calling on them to escape before people "cut off our heads in streets."

He warned that the Saudi royal family is no longer able to "impose" itself on people, arguing that deviations in carrying out the religious concepts that make up the basis of the Saudi government "have gotten out of our hands," so that the opposition views our acts as "interfering in people's private life and restricting their liberties."

"If we are wise, we must leave this country to its people, whose dislike for us is increasing," said Prince Turki, advising Saudi officials to escape with their families.

"Do it today before tomorrow as long as the money we have is enough for us to live anywhere in the world; from Switzerland to Canada and Australia…we should not return as long as we are able to get out safely, we must take our families quickly and pull out," he urged.

"Do not fool yourself by relying on the United States or Britain or Israel, because they will not survive the loss; the only door open is now the exit door of no return. Let us go before it closes."

He finally warned against a military coup against the ruling family, saying "no one will attack us from outside but our armed forces will attack us."

Prince Turki is a member of the liberal Free Princes movement founded in the 1950s amid tensions between King Faisal and his brother King Saud, requesting the Saudi authorities to implement political reforms and set out a constitution.

http://aljazeera.com/news/articles/34/Prince-warns-S-Arabia-of-apocalypse.html

Pro zionist media is on full spin, Saudi may not stand Iran but are in no poistion to help Israel, they struggling to survive themselves, like most of pro American Arab dictators.

Lovely.

Whereas the anti-American dictators are getting along just fine?

Im not sure what bombers the Isrealis have, but to reach Iran they would have to either go North over Turkey...no, or South, then East then North over Saudi, so Tehran is over a 3200 mile round trip.

I assume Iran has an air force, so not much hope for the Isrealis to return home.

That's because the Iranians are actually Persian.

Perhaps we should send in the Spartans instead.

Im not sure what bombers the Isrealis have,

F-15I Ra'am and F-16I Sufa.

A cursory examination of the IASF's track record on Operations Entebbe (Uganda), Wooden Leg (Tunisia), Opera (Iraq) and Orchard (Syria) leads me to believe that they could do an Iran operation if they really needed to.

F-15I Ra'am and F-16I Sufa.

A cursory examination of the IASF's track record on Operations Entebbe (Uganda), Wooden Leg (Tunisia), Opera (Iraq) and Orchard (Syria) leads me to believe that they could do an Iran operation if they really needed to.

I read the F16 barely loaded has a combat radius of about 300 miles....so they would need refuelling every 500 miles....and couldnt do it over Iran. they would need some pretty heavy bombs to knock out a power station too..

I read the F16 barely loaded has a combat radius of about 300 miles....so they would need refuelling every 500 miles....and couldnt do it over Iran. they would need some pretty heavy bombs to knock out a power station too..

The Sufa can carry an extra 1,650 gallons (2 x 600 external + 450ish in the conformals) so it's got legs. Nobody outside the IASF or LM really knows the combat radius with an effective load though...

they need balls to take on Persians

it may have hardware

courage it ain't

all these "leaked stories" in zionist owned media are just that

Turkey plays good neighbourly role.

Turkey Installs Anti-Aircraft Batteries Near Syrian Border

Turkey has installed Anti-Aircraft Hawk Missiles at a village close to the Syrian border in an attempt to prevent Israeli war jets from violating Turkish Airspace in case of an attack against Iran or Syria.

A Turkish paper reported that Turkey will not allow Israel to use its airspace to attack Iran, Syria or any other country, and will act against any such violations.

The anti-aircraft batteries were installed in the village of Kayeel, south of Turkey and located close to the Syrian border.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, a Turkish military official stated that the batteries are meant to protect Turkey and its airspace against any violations, including American or Israeli war jets should Israel or the United States decide to attack Iran or Syria.

Installing the batteries is more of a message than a military act as Turkey is not interested in any military combat but at the same time will not allow its airspace to be used in attacking neighboring countries, the official stated.

http://alethonews.wordpress.com/2010/05/13/turkey-installs-anti-aircraft-batteries-near-syrian-border/

Is Iran a threat to Saudi then? Must have missed that.

Iran has a long standing territorial claim to Bahrain. The Saudis obviously want to nip any thoughts of a Greater Persia in the bud.

Iran has a long standing territorial claim to Bahrain. The Saudis obviously want to nip any thoughts of a Greater Persia in the bud.

Thank you Jackalope, I had missed that. So they wouldn't be averse to helping them get a slap then.

Thank you Jackalope, I had missed that. So they wouldn't be averse to helping them get a slap then.

In much the same way that the Saudis weren't exactly distraught when the Israelis overflew Saudi territory for about 400km on their way to blow up Saddam's entirely-for-peaceful-purposes nuclear facility in June 81. It very much suits the Saudi agenda that their more rambunctious neighbours occasionally get a twatting from the "Zionist Entity".

I remember when I last worked in the Middle East (about 10 years ago) all of our strategic, political "expert" advice was that Saudi was the new Iran and Iran was the new Saudi. The settled view was that Saudi would disintegrate into a backward theocracy and Iran would liberalise and open up to inward investment becoming the new commercial centre of gravity in the Middle East. Funny how things don't work out.

They fairly recently bought some of these:

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_versions_article17.html

It's a special extended range version bought, funnily enough, to give Israel a long range strike capability to hit targets in places like Iran. I think with tanker support it's got the legs. Going over Syria and Iraq might be another option.

The thing is, Iran seems to have learnt the lessons of the Iraqi reactor at Osirak that got hit by an Israeli air strike in the 1980s. The Iraqis put all their eggs in one, expensive and vulnerable basket and the Israelis blew it to pieces.

Part of the problem in launching a strike is that the Iranian nuclear program is dispersed over a number of sites and at least some of it is hardened against air attack. Just like any peaceful nuclear program :rolleyes:

The bit that's causing all the fuss at the moment is the Natanz uranium enrichment plant (lots of piccies here). This could, eventually, produce weapons grade uranium which could be used in a basic nuclear bomb. There also appears to be at least one research reactor which could, potentially, produce weapons grade plutonium.

Natanz is very heavily defended by AAA and short range missiles. Any strike coming in low risks taking heavy losses and there is an added problem that to hit the underground targets a "bunker buster"type weapon will need to be dropped from a considerable height. If the information on wikipedia is correct (yeah I know, I know) and the site is protected by 8m of reinforced concrete then it is far from certain that a conventional bomb can destroy it. A strike would need to cause considerable damage to be worth the effort and if the Iranians can simply repair the facility fairly quickly after a strike then it's probably not worth the effort. A small to medium sized nuke would mess the place up nicely but I assume that's not really an option.

If a strike wants to come in high to avoid the short range defences around Natanz then it first has to deal with both the Iranian air force and the Iranian high altitude SAM network which includes a number of these. In principle Israel has the kit to do this. The Iranian airforce is flying very outdated aircraft and the SAM sites are vulnerable to attack but to do so will take a sustained ariel campaign a bit like the start to Desert Storm. The Israelis have basically the best western aircraft that money can buy. The problem is that while the world may tolerate (more or less) a single strike against Iran, a sustained bombing campaign is another matter entirely.

Another option might be a cruise missile strike from an Israeli sub in the Gulf. The problem with this is that cruise missiles generally don't have the ability to destroy hardened targets like Natanz, at least with conventional warheads.

I'm sure that Israel has a contingency plan to hit Natanz but in reality, the chances of doing significant damage to the site are questionable and the strike force would almost certainly take casualties.

Short of a full on bombing campaign by Israel and/or the US I think Iran's nuclear program is here to stay.