House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sledgehead

Medics: Homeopathy Is Rubbish

Ah, the joy of RCTs, you really, really can't argue with them.

Homeopathy has wound me up for years, but utter drivel.

I am fine with people who think it works. However it should not be on the NHS

Am I missing something, what exactly does she mean (see quote). I am no expert in trials.

It has been established beyond doubt and accepted by many researchers, that the placebo-controlled randomised controlled trial is not a fitting research tool with which to test homeopathy.

Take 1000 people with the same illness and tell them all you're giving them a new wonder drug.

Give 500 people (we'll call them group 1) the wonder drug and the other 500 (group 2) a 'placebo' (a dummy pill, eg a smartie or a tic-tac).

If the treatment had a positive effect you'd see more successes in group 1 than group 2.

Homeopathists claim (blah blah yadda yadda "It has been established beyond doubt and accepted by many researchers") that it's not fair to test their treatment in this manner.

Edit: typo

I was going to try out homeopathic hayfever treatment this year, but the pollen all disappeared before I had run out of the (poorly performing) 'conventional' drugs.

So I'll need to wait until next year to tell you all if it works. :)

Either that or I'll get one of those big see-through sphere things to walk around in like in the adverts.

Take 1000 people with the same illness and tell them all you're giving them a new wonder drug.

Give 500 people (we'll call them group 1) the wonder drug and the other 500 (group 2) a 'placebo' (a dummy pill, eg a smartie or a tic-tac).

If the treatment had a positive effect you'd see more successes in group 1 than group 2.

Homeopathists claim (blah blah yadda yadda "It has been established beyond doubt and accepted by many researchers") that it's not fair to test their treatment in this manner.

Edit: typo

That is what I thought she was saying, but it is too stupid for words. They are no different from the companies that sell anti wrinkle cream (also an expensive con).