House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
petrodollar

Ns&i Index Linkers Purchased 2007 Returned Me 13.61%

So my financially fruitfull friends whats the verdict 13.61% tax free over 3 years any good and as I recall rpi was negitive for quite a while.

As far as Im concerned its over for the cash isa.

Is Inflation is going to chew the **** out of this country over the next 15 years?

Guest absolutezero

So my financially fruitfull friends whats the verdict 13.61% tax free over 3 years any good and as I recall rpi was negitive for quite a while.

Is Inflation is going to chew the **** out of this country over the next 15 years?

Have you cashed in or are you leaving them to roll over into the latest issue?

Have you cashed in or are you leaving them to roll over into the latest issue?

Leaving them to roll and roll and adding more funds and starting to liquidate other accounts to feed even more.

I intend to shuffle 80-90% of my net cash worth into these.

I will skim the interest when I need some income.

Cash isas are finished for me as are poxy bank bonds, as for stocks I never bothered as the market is manipulated.

I guess the only down side is the real inflation and RPI will be tiddled with even more than it is already.

Edited by petrodollar

Guest absolutezero

Leaving them to roll and roll and adding more funds and starting to liquidate other accounts to feed even more.

I intend to shuffle 80-90% of my net cash worth into these.

I will skim the interest when I need some income.

Cash isas are finished for me as are poxy bank bonds, as for stocks I never bothered as the market is manipulated.

I guess the only down side is the real inflation and RPI will be tiddled with even more than it is already.

I'm not putting any more into my cash ISA given the dreadful rates on offer.

I'm not taking any out though because you lose the tax-free status as soon as you do.

Also I'm not sure if you can 'roll and roll' repeatedly. I think you can only 'roll' once.

Depends how you read this from the NS&I website:

What are the benefits of keeping a Certificate invested for a further term of the same length?

Firstly, it’s easy – you don’t need to do anything. At the end of the term we’ll make sure your Certificate starts to earn the new guaranteed rates of interest shown in your letter – even if the interest rates on offer for Savings Certificates fall in the meantime. However, if the rates on offer go up between the date of your letter and the end of your Certificate’s term, we promise to pay you the higher rates.

And secondly, we will treat your continued investment as “matured funds”. This means that you can reinvest the full value into a different term or type of Certificate at any time, even if this exceeds the usual £15,000 limit. And it won’t count towards the limit for any new money you might want to invest in the same Issue.

Please note that you can only do this once for each matured Certificate – the usual holding limits will apply for any further reinvestments.

Edited by absolutezero

I'm not putting any more into my cash ISA given the dreadful rates on offer.

I'm not taking any out though because you lose the tax-free status as soon as you do.

Also I'm not sure if you can 'roll and roll' repeatedly. I think you can only 'roll' once.

Depends how you read this from the NS&I website:

oh yes just the one roll over....a slight fly in the soup of my plan, need to think about how best to manage that.

im sure thats a new rule.

Guest absolutezero

oh yes just the one roll over....a slight fly in the soup of my plan, need to think about how best to manage that.

im sure thats a new rule.

I'm tempted to leave the contents of my cash ISA where they are but not add to it.

Any money I was going to put in the ISA will go into the NS&I index linkers.

When it matures and can't roll over it'll go back into the new issue of linkers and any excess into the cash ISA.

Be prepared to be shafted as inflation takes off.

The 'only one rollover' rule had passed me by.

I had shunned the 5 year issues, but this rule makes them more attractive as you can safeguard yourself against inflation for a decade.

I'm tempted to leave the contents of my cash ISA where they are but not add to it.

Any money I was going to put in the ISA will go into the NS&I index linkers.

When it matures and can't roll over it'll go back into the new issue of linkers and any excess into the cash ISA.

Be prepared to be shafted as inflation takes off.

Ive been prepared for inflation for quite a while but must admit that a chance exists of stagnation more than anything else.

However the linkers are a good hedge against inflation and to some extent deflation or stagnation.

I really cant be ar$ed with isas any more or at least not untill banks play the game with regard to interest rates and removing the hassle of isa admin.

I am thinking of creating a premium bond holding tank used to fill on new issues of linkers and to receive the funds from rolled over accounts.

All tax free and worth a punt untill a decent instant or moderate notice account appears.

However I do see the point regards keeping existing isa money as tax free so long as your not locked in to 3 -5 year deals for a pesky 2.5%

Guest absolutezero

Ive been prepared for inflation for quite a while but must admit that a chance exists of stagnation more than anything else.

However the linkers are a good hedge against inflation and to some extent deflation or stagnation.

I really cant be ar$ed with isas any more or at least not untill banks play the game with regard to interest rates and removing the hassle of isa admin.

I am thinking of creating a premium bond holding tank used to fill on new issues of linkers and to receive the funds from rolled over accounts.

All tax free and worth a punt untill a decent instant or moderate notice account appears.

In my opinion PBs are a waste of time.

However I do see the point regards keeping existing isa money as tax free so long as your not locked in to 3 -5 year deals for a pesky 2.5%

Nah. I shift it around every year or when the interest rate looks lousy.

To be honest, that's a poor return considering the risk involved.

If you would have invested in gold at the same time you would have had almost a 200% profit (i.e 3x the original investment.). Also tax-free.

gold_5_year_o_gbp.png

To be honest, that's a poor return considering the risk involved.

If you would have invested in gold at the same time you would have had almost a 200% profit (i.e 3x the original investment.). Also tax-free.

gold_5_year_o_gbp.png

Gold is fine if you need a low corrosive high conductivity coating for an electrical contact.

Regards is economic state it is now and has been for some time in a bubble ........when will it pop?

I dont do bubbles.

I only hope the allure of its holding is lost before its return to mean price returns for the sake of its holders.

Bugger ISAs - all my savings are going to go into a house within the next decade anyway and THEN I'll start saving again. I've been holding off renewing my Lloyds fixed-rate ISA. Only 2.5%!!!! VERY poor - I would put it on the stock market but that's not guaranteed and I can't afford to lose this part of my money. Basically it's been sitting getting ZERO interest for about a year. I need to DO something with it!

I'll be piling in as much as I can pre Christmas. The VAT increase is guaranteed to make RPI take a jump.

I'll be piling in as much as I can pre Christmas. The VAT increase is guaranteed to make RPI take a jump.

Absolutly right RPI is sure to respond to the VAT, and to oil prices and to massive wage inflation in the far east.

I am intending to buy the limit in the current issues.

Intersest rates will remain low for 5 years more good quality houses in nice areas will remain unaffected and inner city nasty quality building on problem estates will colapse.

Europe will crumble under the euro mess and we here in blighty will struggle for a decade

I dont think many people understand the issues.

When does the VAT rise come into effect?

Good point - want to take advantage of that! That'll be 2.5% plus the 1% on top already!

However..... if they include housing in the RPI like they said they were going to (?) and housing tumbles, we could see the return next to zero? Or just the 1% on top?

Anyway............... I have about £6.5k in a lloyds ISA (poor rates) and £4.5k in an investment account (too much uncertainty). I'm thinking of taking all that money out and getting index-linked certificates. Things is I REALLY don't want to buy in the 'wrong' month and still don't fully understand them! If I bought last month I would get little return next year if rates were lower or something!? Please help - and isn't it better to bung the lot in at once as you get more interest on the larger amount? I realise drip-feeding is good for averaging out but the return must be lower, surely.

Thanks for any help - think I'm going to 'lock in' that money for 3 years.

When does the VAT rise come into effect?

Good point - want to take advantage of that! That'll be 2.5% plus the 1% on top already!

However..... if they include housing in the RPI like they said they were going to (?) and housing tumbles, we could see the return next to zero? Or just the 1% on top?

Anyway............... I have about £6.5k in a lloyds ISA (poor rates) and £4.5k in an investment account (too much uncertainty). I'm thinking of taking all that money out and getting index-linked certificates. Things is I REALLY don't want to buy in the 'wrong' month and still don't fully understand them! If I bought last month I would get little return next year if rates were lower or something!? Please help - and isn't it better to bung the lot in at once as you get more interest on the larger amount? I realise drip-feeding is good for averaging out but the return must be lower, surely.

Thanks for any help - think I'm going to 'lock in' that money for 3 years.

4 Jan for the VAT rise. If you read other threads you'll see that there are no current issues, they closed them last month and me and petrodollars bought cars with our cash.

I was doing my spreadsheet for the monthly difference following the RPI announcement using the online calculator on NS&I website and noticed that the values have all gone down this month. So instead of making a gain I've made a loss on them this month.

As you can't dip in and out anymore, and RPI is just under 5% and will be for teh foreseeable future IMO, I wouldn't panic sell just yet ;)

I had no intention Frank but it was interesting to see that they can go down as well as up :)

They will always increase on the anniversary date by at least the bonus rate. If there has been an increase in RPI on this date compared to 12 months previously that will also be added. While a calculated value might be higher or lower on any given date between anniversary dates the annual increases in value are locked in and can never be lost.

4 Jan for the VAT rise. If you read other threads you'll see that there are no current issues, they closed them last month and me and petrodollars bought cars with our cash.

As you can't dip in and out anymore, and RPI is just under 5% and will be for teh foreseeable future IMO, I wouldn't panic sell just yet ;)

Yep ns&i bond morphed into a car which I will be collecting Tuesday, hopefully this new vehicle will save me money on running costs as for depreciation I will keep it long term.

I saw in another forum that ns&i have apparantly stated that they will reinstate the bonds and with RPI linkage anyone know anything about this?

My gut tells me they wont use RPI and will switch to CPI.

Also looking at the national counties index linked isa.

For those who may not of read the latest update from NSI .........

http://www.nsandi.com/about/questionsandanswers

Summary ,

Withdrawn indefinately .

Expecting to stay with RPI if they come back .

Big demand for them , partly thanks to peanut head Lewis over at moneysavingexpert , who's now plugging unheard of Indian Banks :rolleyes:

Summary ,

Withdrawn indefinately .

Big demand for them , partly thanks to peanut head Lewis over at moneysavingexpert , who's now plugging unheard of Indian Banks :rolleyes:

Really frustrating. As I wrote here http://retirementinvestingtoday.blogspot.com/2010/07/government-supports-banks-ripping-off.html it appears that HM Treasury and hence the government agree that it is acceptable for banks to be a semi cartel and punish savers at will.

Summary ,

Withdrawn indefinately .

If indefinitely means 3 years time then I am just ok. Very good news about keeping to RPI.

If indefinitely means 3 years time then I am just ok. Very good news about keeping to RPI.

Indeed good news,if they stick to the line, politically I think NS&I and to some extent the treasury are between a rock and a hard place on the withdrawl of ILS.

Backlash from the tory heartlands and withering support for cameron in coming months will force this product back in my view early 2011.

Between now and then a lot of p1$$ will flow through the financial sewer, and i suspect the gov will start to need more money to prop up the country QE2 wont happen interest rates will rise as will inflation.

The key to it all will be the support or not of the lib-cons in months ahead.